Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #15061
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
ok, so i just got done with the compression check and it came out about 150psi so it's not too bad. The honda mechainc that did the comp check said he thought the plug was lean but not dangerously lean. I borrowed the autozone compressiom check kit but it didn;t work because it was for big toy plugs.

I also tried taking plates out of the supertrapp. There were 8 and I took it down to 2 and that made it run even worse.

gonna replace the jets when they get here in the mail and then complete Dave's mods if it seems as though I'm on the right track.
I'm gonna throw in my 2 worth at this point ...

I've seen problems in the past on bikes and cars where the ignition/spark would break down once you reached a certain rpm range. Have you tried swapping out the coil and/or CDI yet? ... it also may be something as simple as a faulty plug wire/cap.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #15062
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog

I've seen problems in the past on bikes and cars where the ignition/spark would break down once you reached a certain rpm range. Have you tried swapping out the coil and/or CDI yet? ... it also may be something as simple as a faulty plug wire/cap.
+1 it`s a possibility,if the CDI is going send it to me for a free rebuild,i`ve rebuilt 7 so far in 2 months,more coming,and like i say i do it for free for guys here and at TT.....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #15063
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Is it longer than the OE Kawidad ,,bent differently or anything

B
As I recall it is the same length and bend.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #15064
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
I use the MSR shifter, but it is hard to get my toe down to shift with MX boots on. I kind of use the side of the boot and the edge of the sole.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #15065
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:

It could also be as simple as a loose connection. I had a loose coil wire cause me grief with my 600 and it was dependent on rpm and not throttle input. The plug was also black regardless of jetting which made me start suspecting ignition. Pinched the connection down tight and it ran great.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #15066
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:

nope and i was thinking the same thing.....stay tuned!

And thanks for the offer techforlife, i might just take you up on it!
jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #15067
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,605
Cdi

Jason,

Pop's has a spare CDI that you could probably borrow for testing.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #15068
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
stay tuned!
Jason I have been following this saga for a while now and I originally thought dirty tank, water, dirty carb. I've seen engines that will idle and run at low rpms but stall when the throttle comes up. Trash or water has been the culprit. But I think that has pretty much been eliminated. It seems that it is RPM related and once the engine gets to a certain point and still wants more fuel the carb can't deliver any more. Hopefully bigger jets will cure it.

That said I am a carpenter so I usually use a hammer to fix everything

good luck
John
Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #15069
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Jason,

Pop's has a spare CDI that you could probably borrow for testing.
CDI and coils - yessir

JasonKop-I also have those jets 55/158 you are waiting on.

I'll be in your area again on Wednesday

FatherX screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 04:34 PM
FatherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #15070
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX
CDI and coils - yessir

JasonKop-I also have those jets 55/158 you are waiting on.

I'll be in your area again on Wednesday

If it ends up being the CDI FX....why don`t you let him borrow it and send me the bad one to fix...if that`s alright with you...then i`ll send it to him when done...or he can keep that one,,and i`ll send the repaired one to you...whichever,i`m not fussy

I haven`t seen a CDI do this yet,usually stalling and no-starts...but a weak solder joint can let less power go to the coil,causing weak spark and missfiring under load..so it is possible...

I`d try a coil and wire first..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #15071
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
If it ends up being the CDI FX....why don`t you let him borrow it and send me the bad one to fix...if that`s alright with you...then i`ll send it to him when done...or he can keep that one,,and i`ll send the repaired one to you...whichever,i`m not fussy

I haven`t seen a CDI do this yet,usually stalling and no-starts...but a weak solder joint can let less power go to the coil,causing weak spark and missfiring under load..so it is possible...

I`d try a coil and wire first..

B
at this rate he'll probably end up with the whole thing

JK

maybe

no JK
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #15072
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
at this rate he'll probably end up with the whole thing

JK

maybe

no JK

What are ya doin now,carb cleanin

B
Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #15073
FatherX
demisocial

Quote:
What are ya doin now,carb cleanin

B

u?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #15074
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:

u?

Nope,,i did that last night

I`m just "chillin"

B
Old 03-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #15075
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad
As I recall it is the same length and bend.

Length looks the same,,,but yours is alot farther out from the case than mine... ...me thinks the mig welder may get to talk to this tomorrow...

EDIT:::

I went out, took a pic of mine the same way,,looks like the MSR is definately different...i wonder how long the tip is on the MSR from the tip,,to the right angle bend????????????????

techforlife screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 06:56 PM