User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #15091
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Brian

Thanks for the backup on my choice of piston that makes me feel better. Do you think the ceramic coating will help at all??

Brian
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #15092
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Rider
Yea John need to get that Texas dirt off her and get that other engine roaring. It's warming up I ordered my piston that should be here soon next will be the Hot Cam then some valves and valve springs then should be good to go. hopefully by the end of April early may.
I've been painting the outside of my house while the weather has been warm. Gotta get that done so I can play when it gets nice.

John
Old 03-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #15093
Drake Stone
Nobody

Oddometer: 60
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
Amazing, hate to imagine that on my 650, thats when a kdx 220 comes in to play
Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #15094
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,063
Quote:
Brian

Thanks for the backup on my choice of piston that makes me feel better. Do you think the ceramic coating will help at all??

Brian
Don`t know a lot about the ceramic coating...but it definately won`t hurt..i never researched the reason for ceramic enough

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #15095
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Brian

Brian

Brian,
I work with special cutting tools and more and more its all in the right coatings, making tools last longer, and sometimes working at all. This coating your having applied been around for years with success, it will help with the piston taking the heat and making it wear longer. Now with that said, whom ever you get to do your bore needs to understand that its coated so they dont damage the coating.

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #15096
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:

Saw an interview with Travis Pastrana after doing one of those..... haha, dude was wore out.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #15097
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Brian,
I work with special cutting tools and more and more its all in the right coatings, making tools last longer, and sometimes working at all. This coating your having applied been around for years with success, it will help with the piston taking the heat and making it wear longer. Now with that said, whom ever you get to do your bore needs to understand that its coated so they dont damage the coating.
you do anything with these guys? I interviewed there almost two years ago and I'm glad I didn't take the job because they started laying people off six months later. LIFO-last in first out.

http://www.alliedmachine.com/
jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #15098
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,137
Weight loss

So I have been wondering what some of the best ways to drop more weight off the XR650L are. I'm not talking about going to the extent of replacing every bolt with titanium, but what batteries are lighter than stock, maybe lighter forks or wheels. I can't weld or do anything amazing like Kubiak but I've been looking at the bike and can't help but think there must be a way to drop more weight, I just can't figure out where to drop it without sacrificing more than the weight loss is worth. FWIW I am aware of the two unfortunate three way rules:

1. Strong, Light, Cheap pick two
2. Fast, Reliable, Cheap pick two

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #15099
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
you do anything with these guys? I interviewed there almost two years ago and I'm glad I didn't take the job because they started laying people off six months later. LIFO-last in first out.

http://www.alliedmachine.com/

One of our largest suppliers, we receive shipments daily. Good company to work with.

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #15100
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
So I have been wondering what some of the best ways to drop more weight off the XR650L are. I'm not talking about going to the extent of replacing every bolt with titanium, but what batteries are lighter than stock, maybe lighter forks or wheels. I can't weld or do anything amazing like Kubiak but I've been looking at the bike and can't help but think there must be a way to drop more weight, I just can't figure out where to drop it without sacrificing more than the weight loss is worth. FWIW I am aware of the two unfortunate three way rules:

1. Strong, Light, Cheap pick two
2. Fast, Reliable, Cheap pick two

-Barron

might look at the rider,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was outside our local cycle gear and here rides up this dude on a 650l and had everything strip off and was point out what he had done to make lighter and faster,,,,,,,, this dude had to be pushing 350lbs. could help but think, dude loose that ass you'll be amazed how much faster you'll go.

can't say much i'm 275

Old 03-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #15101
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
One of our largest suppliers, we receive shipments daily. Good company to work with.
that's good to hear. I know a few people who are waiting for the call to comeback. Order more of their stuff!
jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #15102
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Pissed no oil is a problem

well I got my bike back, again, the valve rocker cover was leaking when I picked it up the first time and the carb was screwed up (something with the choke, I think). Oh and the bike ran fine prior to the work, no noticeable oil use etc.

Originally I took it in to add the nx 2nd gear and kick starter (it got rings and a hone too). Well the first head gasket did not seal, he fixed that there before I picked it up.

So I have the bike back for the 2nd time, started it before I took it home, sounded good. Got it home, warmed it up that night, then warmed it up the next day before taking it for a ride. I decided to check the oil, it should be fine, but what the hay. No oil in the tank, I can hear it run down the downtube portion of the tank. CRAP.... What the hell.

I added around 1.75 qts of oil, now it reads half way up the dip stick. Now, of course, I am mad. The shop owner is being a dick, and I think I am already hearing valve noises. (I'm mad... maybe I'm thinking it sounds louder than normal)

So I notified a different shop about my problems, and they said to bring it in and they will do a quick assessment of how it sounds for free, no appointment needed.

This sucks.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #15103
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,257
I don't like to say this knowing it doesn't help, but that's why I do all my own work; too many tales of incompetent shops(even some dealer shops!) screwing things up.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #15104
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Brian,
Thanks for the 411 Danny I plan to have a guy who has been around for awhile and does good work from what I've been told. I will be taking the piston with me when I drop my sleeve off to him and I will be sure to tell him that it is ceramic coated. Thanks again Danny you the man.

Brian
Old 03-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #15105
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
I've been painting the outside of my house while the weather has been warm. Gotta get that done so I can play when it gets nice.

John
Hey John I know the feeling My wife is on my ass about finishing up my trim work in the house. Sorry it just got too cold to be staining base boards and door trim so have to get that project done. When you start on your engine rebuild let me know I'll give you a hand.

Brian