Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #15121
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro
Thanks techforlife. So... since I installed FMF Q4 pipe, I've been getting a lot of popping on decel. Before I go up a pilot jet size, it sounds like I should adjust the pilot screw. I understand that more than 3 turns out indicates the need to go up to a bigger jet.
Yup,,sounds about right,,usually a 55 is right for most people,,keeps it arround 2-2.5 turns...what`s in yours ..or do you know..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #15122
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Yup,,sounds about right,,usually a 55 is right for most people,,keeps it arround 2-2.5 turns...what`s in yours ..or do you know..

B
mcma111 did me a great turn and did the Dave's mods for me while I watched in awe. 55-158. I think we left the screw at about 2.25. The new pipe did wonders for the running temp. I think I can bring it down a little lower with a richer mixture... the popping suggests it is currently lean (amongst other things).

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #15123
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Xr628l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
The XRL crank is actually longer on the left side for the start gear. If you want the XR stroke install a XR rod on a XRL crank.

The XR trans will bolt straight in the XRL
You are correct about the l/h crank length,however ,installing an 600 rod on the L crank doesn't change the stroke.
I just worded it wrong-Must modify the L l/h crank half and mate it to the r/h 600 crank half. Or destroke the L crank.BUT the L crank is way heavier. As is the flywheel.(XRL flywheel weighs 8 lbs!).
To bring the flywheel weight down to 600 weight must remove added weight ring and machine .100" off the outside diameter.
I've done this to my L and it's a much more fun and a happier motor.

Bronco Driver screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 11:31 AM
Bronco Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #15124
mx760
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Picked up the fram from powder coating

Picked the frame up this week started to put it back together. The is just the bare fram had some reinforcments welded on. found out what Wattner was talking about the b battery support will not bolt on now have to come up with a creative solution.

mx760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #15125
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
well that makes me feel a bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929

I ran my XR250 once with about a cup of oil in it; not a huge deal after all the freaking I did about it but it DEFINITLEY isn't right.

Mike

Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the oil issue...

on to more great news... I think my CDI just crapped out. Bike just stopped running. Idling good and, stop, cranks fine, won't start.

This is starting out to be a great season... Anyone have an extra working CDI I could put a deposit on to see if it cures it. I'll return it to you when I'm done. I'm just thinking this could be an easy way to check the cdi without buying a new one.

just a thought

after thought here... I better make sure it has enough gas it should.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #15126
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the oil issue...

on to more great news... I think my CDI just crapped out. Bike just stopped running. Idling good and, stop, cranks fine, won't start.

This is starting out to be a great season... Anyone have an extra working CDI I could put a deposit on to see if it cures it. I'll return it to you when I'm done. I'm just thinking this could be an easy way to check the cdi without buying a new one.

just a thought

after thought here... I better make sure it has enough gas it should.

You can also send it too me,i can rebuild it and test it....for free...your call..jcomptu has 3 on the way back to him...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #15127
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx760
Picked the frame up this week started to put it back together. The is just the bare fram had some reinforcments welded on. found out what Wattner was talking about the b battery support will not bolt on now have to come up with a creative solution.

SWEET!!!! Those look 2010!

I am in Orlando if you can get out for a ride and/or A beer...
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #15128
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Driver
You are correct about the l/h crank length,however ,installing an 600 rod on the L crank doesn't change the stroke.
I just worded it wrong-Must modify the L l/h crank half and mate it to the r/h 600 crank half. Or destroke the L crank.BUT the L crank is way heavier. As is the flywheel.(XRL flywheel weigs 8 lbs!).
To bring the flywheel weight down to 600 weight must remove added weight ring and machine .100" off the outside diameter.
I've done this to my L and it's a much more fun and a happier motor.
Something else you could do is try to find the crankshaft from a mid '80s XL600LM, Paris-Dakar, or Pharaoh. They have an e-start system just like the 650L, but all the engine specs I find show that they have the XR600's 97x80mm bore x stroke, not the XL600R's 100x75. I don't know if the crank or flywheel is any lighter than the 650L's, though, and those XL variants were never sold in North America....and perhaps not even in the western hemisphere.

BTW, the 650L conrod is 132.25mm center-to-center and the XR600/XL600 rod is 134mm if anyone was wondering. I made a chart of those and other dims available below. Right click -> Save As:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ns-printWM.jpg.

It looks like a link to the TT thread was posted some time ago, but here it is again. Big thanks to valverule and stepho over on TT for their help getting measurements. Pictures of the pistons are for visual aid only and do not represent the pin's actual proximity to the oil ring.

Please don't anyone embed the image in another post without hosting it on your own account somewhere. It will load every time that forum page/post accessed and take a big bite out my free Photobucket bandwidth. If my bandwidth allocation runs out, it kills access to all my linked images until the monthly "billing period" rolls over again. Thanks. If anyone has dims from other pistons, like the HRC XR600 slug, for example, I would like to add them to the chart.

HeadTrauma screwed with this post 03-13-2010 at 06:57 PM
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #15129
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx760

Nice

John
Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #15130
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
I'm using the stock one in the air box. If you want to check it out let me know. I guess riding tomorrow is shot but it kinda works out cause I'm going to make some beer instead.

Everybody needs a hobby and some people need two.

-Barron

Yeah, I have to work tomorrow, but I'll check it out one day. You mentioned beer, a buddy at work has got me interested in doing some brewing. He has made some really good stuff, he gave me some pumpkin ale last week.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #15131
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron
I like the idea of the the lighter smaller battery but since I ride year round I have to keep high CCA for those cold mornings. I looked at doing something similar as what you are talking about with the electronics but in the end it just made more sense to me to put everything in the airbox. That way you lose the steel tube and the box back there plus all of the plastic from the air filter to the carb. As for my side panels, well I got rid of those too. They're in my shed. I made some panels that use the original mounting screws and they have worked out great. I had to trim the panel side of the airbox to make it flush with the panel then install weather stripping to keep it water resistant, and again I have had no issues. I'd post a pic for you but I'm on my ship right now and posting pics just plain ain't possible, but tomorrow I can send you some if want. Just let me know.

-Barron
I'd like to see those pics of your side panels. Post em' here please.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #15132
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 462
Rear Fender and Tail Light Options

I'm looking for options to replace the stock rear fender and tail light assembly on my 2001 XR650L with a slick low profile setup. I'll need a place to mount the license plate also.

Any ideas? Pics?

Thanks.
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #15133
radar69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
I'm looking for options to replace the stock rear fender and tail light assembly on my 2001 XR650L with a slick low profile setup. I'll need a place to mount the license plate also.

Any ideas? Pics?

Thanks.
I just replaced the light. Cleans things up quite a bit
radar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #15134
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,397
Fender

Quote:

Any ideas? Pics?

Thanks.

Here ya go...

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650l_rear_fender/

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #15135
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
Quote:

Any ideas? Pics?

Thanks.
I think the stock fender can still serve you well. See the following thread where I posted pics of my fabbed license plate bracket onto the stock fender after installing a WPS tail light. The plate bracket is very solid. My post is #574

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...t=#post7732727

RADAR69, please do tell what that rear rack is.
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote