Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #15211
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
So after finishing the CRF fork installation with RSW Racing triple clamps and his 3" risers. The bike is too damm tall. I'm 6'2'' and the bars are now almost up to my arm pits!!! It makes for a fun mount or dismount...
Sounds like you've just designed a stand up motorcycle! From your posts you sound like a stand up kinda guy but this is going too far! LOL
Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #15212
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,660
Phoenix

Pop's,

Since the Phoenix has risen AGAIN (thought they only rose once) how about getting back to your other thread?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #15213
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Machine
Yep,

I rode 170 Miles Backroads cruising this Sunday and burned about 3 oz of 5w-40. Approximate / average speed 70.

Just my 2c worth.

Regards all,
Margarita Machine,
+1 here.
I flogged the dog s__t outa mine this Sat. at the beach for about 60 miles and burned 6 OZ.
Ya should of seen me slide the XRL. it was like " On Any Sunday".
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #15214
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Ok for one........do you know what the OE Honda filter costs??????..

A Uni filter with the cage is cheaper i think...so if it rots out in a year or two...you are still ahead because you would have had to buy at least 2 OE filters in that time.....basically don`t worry over 25 bucks..you already saved that the first time you clean it

And for 2.......you should have 2 of these filters,one in the bike,the other oiled up in a bag ready to swap,so you don`t have to play arround,and can change it at your leisure

B
you're missing my point. I was just hoping I could buy the filter rather than piling up aluminum cages that end up getting recycled. Should it rot in a year or two? I have no clue how long is a reasonable time to expect it to last if it's washed/oiled regularly.

Also, I fired up the bike with the new CDI and the new coil (separate tests) and it's still bogging down. I'm gonna put the new jets in when they get here and if that doesn't do it I'm not sure what to do next.
jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #15215
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
So after finishing the CRF fork installation with RSW Racing triple clamps and his 3" risers. The bike is too damm tall. I'm 6'2'' and the bars are now almost up to my arm pits!!! It makes for a fun mount or dismount...

This`ll fix you up Steve...

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #15216
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Ok for one........do you know what the OE Honda filter costs??????..

A Uni filter with the cage is cheaper i think...so if it rots out in a year or two...you are still ahead because you would have had to buy at least 2 OE filters in that time.....basically don`t worry over 25 bucks..you already saved that the first time you clean it

And for 2.......you should have 2 of these filters,one in the bike,the other oiled up in a bag ready to swap,so you don`t have to play arround,and can change it at your leisure

B

The uni foam should last for years,,,,,,,years,,,,,,, if cared for.
Biggest killer is getting into a hurry to clean it, you need to use solvent to break the oil down, then soap and warm water, then lots of warm water, and let it total dry, overnight hung on a fan, people get in a hurry and oil it traping water in the foam and the foam rots from the inside out.

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #15217
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
Biggest killer is getting into a hurry to clean it, you need to use solvent to break the oil down, then soap and warm water, then lots of warm water, and let it total dry, overnight hung on a fan, people get in a hurry and oil it traping water in the foam and the foam rots from the inside out.
I've got two of 'em just for that reason. One I bought new and one I picked up in a box-o-parts for nothing. Makes it easy to keep a clean one in the pig.

John
Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #15218
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
you're missing my point. I was just hoping I could buy the filter rather than piling up aluminum cages that end up getting recycled. Should it rot in a year or two? I have no clue how long is a reasonable time to expect it to last if it's washed/oiled regularly.

Also, I fired up the bike with the new CDI and the new coil (separate tests) and it's still bogging down. I'm gonna put the new jets in when they get here and if that doesn't do it I'm not sure what to do next.

They SHOULD last years,,,,should..........but i`ve heard of them falling apart,the different colored foams separating...not a usual thing though..the cage is plastic.........

So it`s not the coil or CDI......so getting o good baseline on the carb with the jets you are getting,cleaning the bugger out of it before putting it back in will/should point you in the right direction hopefully...good luck bud...

B
Old 03-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #15219
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
I've got two of 'em just for that reason. One I bought new and one I picked up in a box-o-parts for nothing. Makes it easy to keep a clean one in the pig.

John
Weren`t you rebuildin an engine John... ...

B
Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #15220
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Well never thought about two thats good advice next time I need to clean it i'll just pick up another UNI for that reason..

Hey Brian question I got the A and B gasket kit is that all the seals in the engine for a rebuild. The kits look kinda light it just doesn't look like all the seals???

Brian
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #15221
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
This`ll fix you up Steve...

B

Hey Brian where did you find those I have been looking all over for boots like those.lol Hey is that the other option besides the lowering link.hahaha
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #15222
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
Another problem is using gasoline or petroleum solvents. Dish liquid and hot water works fine for breaking up the filter oil. Gasoline will cause the foam to come apart.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #15223
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Rider
Well never thought about two thats good advice next time I need to clean it i'll just pick up another UNI for that reason..

Hey Brian question I got the A and B gasket kit is that all the seals in the engine for a rebuild. The kits look kinda light it just doesn't look like all the seals???

Brian
I bought all the parts from Honda,,,,,,,didn`t know you could get them in sets.......so i`m not sure...can you post picks???

B
Old 03-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #15224
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Rider
Hey Brian where did you find those I have been looking all over for boots like those.lol Hey is that the other option besides the lowering link.hahaha

Well yes,that`s the idea,don`t lower it,geeeeeeeeezzz that affects suspension height...these soles wear real good too...and you can get em in Rappin Red and Cow Dung Brown so you can look cool...and "Blend"..

B
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #15225
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
I have parts that you might need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_ruben
Thanks for Clarifying Mike. So it is common knowledge that running at high highway speeds may lead to oil consumption, which may explain my loss.

Again, I will isolate the issues and go from there. Cheers!
Ruben. I have a spare carb with a cracked body. But all the parts inside are good. So If you want a stock needle and stock spring? Pm me and will work something out. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote