Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #15226
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Weren`t you rebuildin an engine John... ...

B
Yeah but my trip to Texas and work have it on the back burner right now. Plus I am painting the outside of my house and wrapping the trim with aluminum this spring. About half done with that. Gotta pay to play.

The shifter was welded to the shaft when I got the motor so I have been lurking around trying to pick up a used shaft. New they are about $65. Trying to keep costs under control. I have managed to find a lot of what I need by being patient and I think I have found a shaft. I can afford to wait since the motor is a spare.

John
Old 03-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #15227
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Ruben. I have a spare carb with a cracked body. But all the parts inside are good. So If you want a stock needle and stock spring? Pm me and will work something out. Ben
+1 on that Ben.........if you guys can work something out Ruben can go back to a stock carb,,and just rejet,drill the slide(already done) and stock needle so anyone helping you diagnose will know that he has a well tested modded carb..Dave`s Mod carb is well tested and known to perform well under most conditions/see level altitude..........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #15228
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Yeah but my trip to Texas and work have it on the back burner right now. Plus I am painting the outside of my house and wrapping the trim with aluminum this spring. About half done with that. Gotta pay to play.

The shifter was welded to the shaft when I got the motor so I have been lurking around trying to pick up a used shaft. New they are about $65. Trying to keep costs under control. I have managed to find a lot of what I need by being patient and I think I have found a shaft. I can afford to wait since the motor is a spare.

John
Cool...good plan......a man in a rush pays the piper.a little patience saves big bucks...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #15229
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
She lives. I got the '02 bike off the stand today and started her up. She still has a lot to add to her, she doesnt even have a chain yet. But my questions is: I added header wrap and is there some kind of spray i need to spray it with? I started up the bike and the stuff smoked, also it was very hot to the touch. Isnt it supposed to be cool to the touch? Is there a break in period?

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #15230
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
She lives. I got the '02 bike off the stand today and started her up. She still has a lot to add to her, she doesnt even have a chain yet. But my questions is: I added header wrap and is there some kind of spray i need to spray it with? I started up the bike and the stuff smoked, also it was very hot to the touch. Isnt it supposed to be cool to the touch? Is there a break in period?

It will be hot,but nowhere near as hot as if you put your hand on the steel pipe..i never bothered with the stuff so no idea on a spray??????????..i think the shield,,or buyin the FMF shield is a longer lasting lasting idea.i`ve heard of the tape trapping in moisture and rustin the pipe..mine didn`t need more rust

B
Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #15231
vanpelt999
08 xr650l

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
you're missing my point. I was just hoping I could buy the filter rather than piling up aluminum cages that end up getting recycled. Should it rot in a year or two? I have no clue how long is a reasonable time to expect it to last if it's washed/oiled regularly.

Also, I fired up the bike with the new CDI and the new coil (separate tests) and it's still bogging down. I'm gonna put the new jets in when they get here and if that doesn't do it I'm not sure what to do next.

Could post some pics of your carb???????? with it on the bike,,,, wondering if its the hoses routed wrong??????????

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #15232
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin
That what she said
if she is coherent enough to talk then.....

what? Wrenching isn't my thing.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #15233
FatherX
Java Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111

Pop's,

Since the Phoenix has risen AGAIN (thought they only rose once) how about getting back to your other thread?

Sooon man. All of a sudden I have work and Prep for summer classes is gearing up.

I'll get into it again. Thanks for the push.

Can't believe you sold my Duc
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #15234
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
It will be hot,but nowhere near as hot as if you put your hand on the steel pipe..i never bothered with the stuff so no idea on a spray??????????..i think the shield,,or buyin the FMF shield is a longer lasting lasting idea.i`ve heard of the tape trapping in moisture and rustin the pipe..mine didn`t need more rust

B
Should there be more then 1 layer. Ive heard that too, but i know with the heat it gives off it will be dry in no time.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #15235
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
Should there be more then 1 layer. Ive heard that too, but i know with the heat it gives off it will be dry in no time.

Overlapped so you are overlapping about 1/2 way on each layer is what i`ve seen..but i don`t see why more wouldn`t be better??????????

B
Old 03-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #15236
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
Could post some pics of your carb???????? with it on the bike,,,, wondering if its the hoses routed wrong??????????
could be, there aren't any hoses on it? The air cutoff valve has a hose barb but onthing attached to it. The "vac" line is just capped off. Other than that the only other "hose" is the drain for the carb bowl. My bike has the aicv removed. Sound right?

EDITED TO CORRECT STATEMENT

jasonkop screwed with this post 03-15-2010 at 06:03 PM
jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #15237
FatherX
Java Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
could be, there aren't any hoses on it? The accelerator pump has a hose barb but onthing attached to it. The "vac" line is just capped off. Other than that the only other "hose" is the drain for the carb bowl. My bike has the aicv removed. Sound right?
I know my bike is NOT the model

but

I don't have a "capped off" line of any sort???

Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #15238
FatherX
Java Man

Laugh Hey Hey Hey

This just cracked me up

Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #15239
FatherX
Java Man

Jay

I've been doing some hunting and it sounds like another guy was having this issue do to a bad vacum line or a slide assist ??

Don't know anything about either but the symptoms sound the same.

I'll keep looking

FatherX screwed with this post 03-15-2010 at 06:32 PM
FatherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #15240
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,677
Quote:

B
I've always wondered what the purpose of the wrap is ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote