Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #1516
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Gunner
that's me and my son-in-law ready to blow some holes in the Bitch....

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #1517
DGShaffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I got my XRL out and about today for the first time. I picked it up yesterday and it was too friggin cold to ride so today I gave it a short trial run.

I found a few trails on the power lines as well as off of the railroad tracks. So far, so good. The tires are for both street and off road so their not exceptional on either surface. This is gonna be a lot of fun though.

Titan Silver '05 R1150RT with all the goodies!
My Photo Page
Downloadable Route Files
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #1518
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
A couple from today...

Nice day for a ride...

Don't even ask...
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #1519
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
new to me

I just purchased a used 01 xr650l a couple of weeks ago for $525. The bike was drowned and therefore a salvage title. After draining the oil (and water) I flushed it with about a gallon of diesel, added new oil and battery she started without much hesitation. It now has 1 hour of run time on it. Obviously I have changed the oil numerous times. The carb was still plugged and the bike had difficulty going over 25 mph without stalling out and the choke had to be on when driven, but the bike would idle all day with the choke off and it sounds smooth (no knocking). The carb is being rejetted and cleaned this week and I hope to have it up and running by Sunday

I already added the smog block kit from IMS and it came with an IMS 4 gallon tank when I bought it. I plan to set this bike up as an Adventure style bike. I am going to add a small wind screen and a luggage rack at the very least. Suggestions and Ideas??? post em .

I grew up riding dirt bikes and dual sports, never even considered buying a pure street bike, probably never will. Currently I own this bike and a 07 American Lifan gy-5 enduro. The Lifan is no Honda, but it is a great around town utility bike. The luggage rack has a good ol' milk crate straped to it for running to the store, it gets about 100 mpg (calculated using the stock tripometer) and it is trail capable. It only cost me $1625 for a brand new one.
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #1520
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
1st The Good :Well I finally get my new Supermotard kit. Delayed on install cause I had to order a new rear sprocket, a new wave rotor, new pads and a new chain.....I finally got it all together and dropped off the wheels to get the rubber mounted last night in Santee. hoping to go for a ride up to SCHWINN's later today.

Now the Bad : So after dropping off the wheels off for pickup today I get home and my parts package is there waiting for me

I got my new Ignition Coil and plug boot in yesterday (The Pig has been sitting on the stand since my last outing with Ride Orange when the pig died on me).

I hook it all up, throw the gas tank on and try to fire it up......nothing, so I re-check the coil and boot, they are good.

I re-check the Carb since I took it out and cleaned the hell out of it last weekend, it's good.....

I then did the old compression check, Good....even checked the valves, Good

So now I am back to square one, I pull the plug and short it to the block and hit the start button....

NO "F'ing SPARK again!

I replaced the coil and plug boot after finding them both dead with my multimeter, so then I think to myself "Damnit you dumb ass you forgot to check the ENTIRE CIRCUIT out".....

THE UGLY

So in the process of checking the Ignition Circuit out with my multimeter I get to the point where I pull the connectors off of the ICM (Ignition Control Module, sometimes called a CDI on any other bike) and check the wires from the ICM to everything else..

Low and Behold......One of the spades on the ICM connector is FRIED and broken! Looks like vibration may have cause it but it still should not have broke like it did.

That little POS spade that broke, caused an arc and shorted out my entire "F'ing" Ignition System!

I'll be going by Motoworld to see if my extended warranty covers this, I need to finish checking the entire wire harness and all the ignition related components with my multimeter when I get home today.

The wiring Harness for the XR650L is $289.00 at Bike Bandit.....I have been searching online and cannot find the ICM / CDI, can't wait to see how much that's gonna burn my ass for.

So the Saga continues... 4 failures in a year and a half now with only 8K on the odometer. I really cannot complain too much, I love my pig but she's like anything else, if you ride 'em hard they will break! Ha!

Here is my running track record of "Breaks"

1. Busted the left crankcase cover (riding offroad before I got a skid plate)
2. Threw a chain at the DD
3. Starter Motor went (warranty covered it thankfully)
4. Now this....

Anyone know a good source for Japanese bike electrical Components (Pins, connectors etc)?

Looks like I'll be catching up on some projects around the house while I'm waiting for parts and repair

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1194055358

Those are the new wheels, tires, rotors and sprockets in that picture that I just spent $2,300 Hard earned "F'in" dollars on and the Mutha "F'in" ICM / CDI took a big fat, wet and smelly dump on me! (that's me and my son-in-law ready to blow some holes in the Bitch....)

I calmed down later, had a beer or two and remembered that I can and will fix it.....

Details here: http: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/i...opic=1768&st=0

Of course I will get her fixed, I love Her!
That all sounds very atypical. My XRL sees horrible abuse (well, did in rocky central CT, anyway. No central NY terrain is tough enough for me, what did I do to deserve this, anyway?), and seems to hold up better than that!

A little over 7000 miles, so far.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #1521
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
The wiring Harness for the XR650L is $289.00 at Bike Bandit.....I have been searching online and cannot find the ICM / CDI, can't wait to see how much that's gonna burn my ass for.
Bike Bandit has the CDI as well. It's around $130. I hear they're available for around $100 elsewhere online, but I don't recall where.

My XRL is on its second CDI. And lots of people on 4strokes.com have had CDI issues as well. Seems to be the bike's weak link.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #1522
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
I...I already added the smog block kit from IMS and it came with an IMS 4 gallon tank when I bought it. I plan to set this bike up as an Adventure style bike. I am going to add a small wind screen and a luggage rack at the very least. Suggestions and Ideas??? post em ...
The XR650L can be converted into an Adventure bike. Here's my bike on a 1500 mile, 7 day trip. I still have to figure out how to pack lightly.

murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #1523
machman
means well

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOff
Reminds me of the Maritimes in the fall. Nice pic.

Here's what I'm up to these days:

machman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #1524
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

[quote=murgatroid42]The XR650L can be converted into an Adventure bike. Here's my bike on a 1500 mile, 7 day trip. I still have to figure out how to pack lightly.

Looks Great, what type of luggage racks and what type of windscreen (Mair?) are you using? I saw a nice rack on cyclracks.com

any one try it yet? Price seems reasonable and it appears pannier mounts could be easily added.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #1525
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by janner
To help strenghten the sub frame and allow me to carry more, I added one of these. It bolts to the passenger pegs and turn lights.

http://www.cycleracks.com/images/XR650LRearjpg.jpg
Still looks like the weighted portion gets it's supports from the sub-frame?
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #1526
Manchu
carpet pisser

Oddometer: 110
[quote=byron555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
The XR650L can be converted into an Adventure bike. Here's my bike on a 1500 mile, 7 day trip. I still have to figure out how to pack lightly.

Looks Great, what type of luggage racks and what type of windscreen (Mair?) are you using? I saw a nice rack on cyclracks.com

any one try it yet? Price seems reasonable and it appears pannier mounts could be easily added.

I've had one on my XRL for over a year now. It's an execellent piece of kit -- very sturdy, great fit/finish.

A couple pics... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...hicle&vid=3489

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #1527
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
...Looks Great, what type of luggage racks and what type of windscreen (Mair?) are you using? ...
Yes, it's a Maier windscreen. An old XR650L luggage setup thread is here, which also has my posts on the windscreen and the rear rack setup.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #1528
Multiducrider
SC Adv rider

Oddometer: 51
XR vs Duc

Name:  rsz_2DSC01050.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  142.4 KBPick my XR up a couple months ago used but in good shape. Thought that i would give dirt riding a shot since all I have riden up to this point has been on BMWs or Ducatis. Needless to say the Multistrada1000S is now for sale!. Love the bike but it is not as much fun to ride as the XR. I have it set up with Big Gun, Excel supermotard wheel, avon tires, jetted, Race tech did the front suspension, corbin UGLY-butt comfortable BLUE seat, Magura Front brake res. utah skid plate and jett hot coated pipes. Now all i need to do is get the dirt wheels back that are getting anodized, powered and mounted with a set of TKC80s and i will be set with the most versatile bike that i have owned. A true Dual Sport ride.
Multiducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #1529
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

[quote=Manchu]
Quote:

I've had one on my XRL for over a year now. It's an execellent piece of kit -- very sturdy, great fit/finish.

A couple pics... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...hicle&vid=3489
Looks Good what type of pannier racks are you using? Custom, Happy-trails? Just wondering, Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #1530
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
I'm riding my XRL to Panama soon.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote