ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #15811
vanpelt999
08 xr650l
 
vanpelt999's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX
oh of course...here in Ohio it's sort of a compliment

What happen,,,,,,,,,,, can't work guessing
__________________
08 XR650L
Billet Aluminum Xr Oil Cooler http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578914

If your ever caught traveling back in time,,,and meet someone traveling forward in time,,, it's best not to make eye contact,,,, just saying...
vanpelt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #15812
FatherX
Java Man
 
FatherX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: NE Ohio,USA
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelt999
What happen,,,,,,,,,,, can't work guessing
rollin down the road @ 40-50mph

and it died

have spark,gas,

compression seems to be gone.

don't know.
__________________
I love these goofy bikes and their "let's go make coffee some place stupid, instead of, a stupid place to buy coffee" mentalities.
FatherX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #15813
jscompto
Studly Adventurer
 
jscompto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Bargersville, Indiana
Oddometer: 597
Need some help getting my damn bike to start...

I have a 96 XR650L and I just got done completely re-building it. My countershaft was bad so I swapped it out with a new XR600R shaft, put in the NX650 2nd gear and also added a kickstart. I also got rid of the stock cam and switched to a hotcam...My problem is that I can't seem to get the bike to have enough battery juice to turn the engine over. I can't even use the kickstarter to turn it over. I got it running today for about 2 minutes but I can't get it running anymore. I am thinking that since I switched cams and had to get rid of the auto-decompression device that it is harder than hell to start now. Does that make sense?? If so, how in the heck do I fix it so that I can actually start it?????? This thing is driving me nuts! All I wanna do is get it done so I can finally ride it. Thanks guys!!
__________________
'96 XR 650L ~ 103mm piston, NX650 2nd gear, high flow header, WebCam, Vapor, FCR 41 pumper, 5.8 Acerbis
'99 CR 250R ~ gnarly pipe, turbine core 2 silencer, 54 tooth sprocket. BEAST
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491159
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #15814
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,809
No Start

I'll give you my 2 cents. Put the stock cam back in there. I am working on a guys XR600 that he shipped to me. It has/had a Hot Cam. A real POS. Two of the rockers are shot along with the matching cam lobes. The center journal on the cam has 180' of shiny wear and the other 180' is the black like the rest of the cam. This tells me that it was not making contact with the head properly because it's not machined correctly. The journal in the head is also damaged. If I were to put a kick start on an XRL I would also use a XR rocker cover to get the manual decompressor assembly. Something your missing eh? More battery power? Get a battery for a KTM 990. Fits right in except the top of the battery clamp needs trimming.

EDIT: Do you have a XRL or a XR piston?
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #15815
ShooterDave
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Caliscrewitself
Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
I can't find the 140x18
Sorry the 140 was for the 17 inch tire.

Quote:
ShooterDave, do you have one of Cigar Mike's center stands? If not you should get one. It will make your daily oil check a lot easier. Not to mention that daily chain lube, or when it comes time to change your chain and sprocket, or time to change your tires. Yes in 25,000 miles you will wear out at least one set of chain and sprockets, and multiple sets of tires.

Oh and be sure to carry a couple spare master links that fit your chain also.

Walter
Yes i have the center stand. I love the thing.
__________________
My Lower 48+ ride on my XR650L - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565350

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #15816
jscompto
Studly Adventurer
 
jscompto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Bargersville, Indiana
Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
I'll give you my 2 cents. Put the stock cam back in there. I am working on a guys XR600 that he shipped to me. It has/had a Hot Cam. A real POS. Two of the rockers are shot along with the matching cam lobes. The center journal on the cam has 180' of shiny wear and the other 180' is the black like the rest of the cam. This tells me that it was not making contact with the head properly because it's not machined correctly. The journal in the head is also damaged. If I were to put a kick start on an XRL I would also use a XR rocker cover to get the manual decompressor assembly. Something your missing eh? More battery power? Get a battery for a KTM 990. Fits right in except the top of the battery clamp needs trimming.

EDIT: Do you have a XRL or a XR piston?
Hmmmm.....I've never really researched hotcams, but I'm tired of having the damn bike apart and I want to ride it again...I'll probably keep it in for now. I'm not sure if the battery is the problem as it was fully charged and has never had a problem starting the bike with the 103mm piston before doing my latest mods (kickstarter and hotcam). I can stand on the damn kickstarter and it doesn't budge...Doesn't seem right at all...
__________________
'96 XR 650L ~ 103mm piston, NX650 2nd gear, high flow header, WebCam, Vapor, FCR 41 pumper, 5.8 Acerbis
'99 CR 250R ~ gnarly pipe, turbine core 2 silencer, 54 tooth sprocket. BEAST
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491159
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #15817
90 Deg. Twin
n00b
 
90 Deg. Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Darlington, SC
Oddometer: 3
Laugh Noob-in the market for XLR.

After 20 years of sticking to paved roads riding, I've gotten the idea into my head to buy a dual sport and from what I've learned, (owned mostly hondas) the L is a hammer. I spent all day today driving 400+ miles looking at low mileage used units across the carolinas and have found some values. One, in particular, has only 200 miles on the clock, but has been dropped (minor dent in tank-plan to toss that anyway) and appears to have had hydraulic fluid etch paint from the stock headpipe heat sheild (would toss that too) as well as a bit off the clutch cover. Of greatest concern, is a "rough" clutch pull for this model and mileage. (bike is a repo) Any thoughts as to a) my choice of an XRL, and b) what could have leaked to cause the etching of the clutch cover and paint to dissolve on the heat shield (clutch/brake fluid-while hot?) as well as the rough clutch pull. These bike are usually very reliable if maintained. Im pretty good with tools but wanted to sound off on the pros here. Also, in consideration of this bike; I'm 5'9" and weigh 170 pounds. Touch tiptoe, but have done that on dirtbikes since my 82 CR250R at age 14. (fearless back then). Thanks for your comments and input. Looking forward to getting dusty.
90 Deg. Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #15818
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscompto
Hmmmm.....I've never really researched hotcams, but I'm tired of having the damn bike apart and I want to ride it again...I'll probably keep it in for now. I'm not sure if the battery is the problem as it was fully charged and has never had a problem starting the bike with the 103mm piston before doing my latest mods (kickstarter and hotcam). I can stand on the damn kickstarter and it doesn't budge...Doesn't seem right at all...
That`s right if the decomp is removed,,,she`s gonna be hard to turn over,,see my other reply on TT...


B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #15819
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,809
No Start

Pull the spark plug and try kicking it over. If if turns over you can rule out the kicker. Either put the OE cam back in there or the battery from your car.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #15820
jscompto
Studly Adventurer
 
jscompto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Bargersville, Indiana
Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Pull the spark plug and try kicking it over. If if turns over you can rule out the kicker. Either put the OE cam back in there or the battery from your car.
HAHA, I'll try to figure out something tomorrow evening then. Thanks guys! If I pull the plug out and it is still a bitch to start, then what do I do??
__________________
'96 XR 650L ~ 103mm piston, NX650 2nd gear, high flow header, WebCam, Vapor, FCR 41 pumper, 5.8 Acerbis
'99 CR 250R ~ gnarly pipe, turbine core 2 silencer, 54 tooth sprocket. BEAST
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491159
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #15821
gunz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gunz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Deg. Twin
After 20 years of sticking to paved roads riding, I've gotten the idea into my head to buy a dual sport and from what I've learned, (owned mostly hondas) the L is a hammer. I spent all day today driving 400+ miles looking at low mileage used units across the carolinas and have found some values. One, in particular, has only 200 miles on the clock, but has been dropped (minor dent in tank-plan to toss that anyway) and appears to have had hydraulic fluid etch paint from the stock headpipe heat sheild (would toss that too) as well as a bit off the clutch cover. Of greatest concern, is a "rough" clutch pull for this model and mileage. (bike is a repo) Any thoughts as to a) my choice of an XRL, and b) what could have leaked to cause the etching of the clutch cover and paint to dissolve on the heat shield (clutch/brake fluid-while hot?) as well as the rough clutch pull. These bike are usually very reliable if maintained. Im pretty good with tools but wanted to sound off on the pros here. Also, in consideration of this bike; I'm 5'9" and weigh 170 pounds. Touch tiptoe, but have done that on dirtbikes since my 82 CR250R at age 14. (fearless back then). Thanks for your comments and input. Looking forward to getting dusty.
Sorry friend I have bo ideas about the etch, Clutch might be as simple as needing the clutch cable lubed. As fro your stature I am 5:10 and 170 LBS adn I can ride it just fine now since I removed the gorrilla spring from the rear shock the PO had installed. Good luck on your search. i am in the same boat as far as dirt riding, been away from dirt since I was 14-16 ish. Now I am 37. Time to get back to my roots. Ride safe
__________________
I got nuthin'
gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #15822
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,809
n

I just want to rule out the kick starter. Just make sure it can turn the engine over. If it doesn't rotate the engine then something is wrong with the kicker set up. Obviously it will not start with the plug out...

If the kicker works fine. You are still gonna have a hell of a hard time kicking that thing over with out the decompressor assy. Charge the battery tonight and go get a can of engine start. Squirt some in the intake (no air filter) and see if it starts or at least burps.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #15823
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscompto
HAHA, I'll try to figure out something tomorrow evening then. Thanks guys! If I pull the plug out and it is still a bitch to start, then what do I do??

If it turns over hard with the plug out then you have an interference issue..

Let`s hope it`s not that..

B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #15824
jscompto
Studly Adventurer
 
jscompto's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Bargersville, Indiana
Oddometer: 597
The kickstarter works and turns the engine over, its just a motherf*%$er to do. So I'm guessing I can rule that out right? I was just looking at a thread on TT that tells about a lot of different decompression options:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-697613.html

I also looked on a fische diagram of the XL600R and the manual decompression assembly doesn't look like they make those parts at all anymore. I'm leaning more and more towards a webcam or another stocker...Am I ever going to be able to ride my bike again??
__________________
'96 XR 650L ~ 103mm piston, NX650 2nd gear, high flow header, WebCam, Vapor, FCR 41 pumper, 5.8 Acerbis
'99 CR 250R ~ gnarly pipe, turbine core 2 silencer, 54 tooth sprocket. BEAST
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491159
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #15825
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,809
Cam

Did you get rid of the stock cam? If not put it back in. Couple of hours of work and you'll be riding again. My recent XRL has a Wiseco 675cc piston and a stock cam. Runs fine. Normally I put a Mega Cycle cam in ever one I do but this time I didn't have the $$ for it.

BTW... You can't put the XR decom assy in the XRL rocker cover. You need an XR cover.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014