Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #16501
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLight
Howdy guys. I am sorry to put this up here but I am new to the XRL. I figured someone could point me to the info faster than I could find it myself.

I am wondering if there is a consensus on a good oil for a 2002 model. Brand and weight. I will probably stick to conventional. I'm not opposed to synth though. Thanks for your help.
Oh boy you can get a s load of different answers. What ever you oil your going to use, just make sure to change it often. I change mine every 1500 been using honda gn4 oil. This oil change I am trying rotella 15w 40. Make sure you check you oil around every 200 miles. You want to keep it at a good level. Congrats on the bike. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #16502
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Oh boy you can get a s load of different answers. What ever you oil your going to use, just make sure to change it often. I change mine every 1500 been using honda gn4 oil. This oil change I am trying rotella 15w 40. Make sure you check you oil around every 200 miles. You want to keep it at a good level. Congrats on the bike. Ben
+1 use either Shell 5W-40 or 15W-40. Get it at WalMart. On a long trip plan on the engine using about 1 oz per 100 miles of hard off road ( a lot of full throttle burst, or pulling a lot of steep up hill ) or highway ( 70 to 75 mph extended cruse ). Both of these oils work fine with the wet clutch. I go 2500 on an oil change.

I have found it best to check the oil level and add as required after every ride, when the oil is hot. To check the oil, get the bike level on a center stand and let idel for 2 or 3 min. Shut off the engine and remove the dip stick. Wipe clean and insert without screwing in to check the level. Leave the bike on the stand and check the oil when cold and the level will be about 3/16 to 1/4 less than the hot level.

Oil filters for the XR650L:

Check the filter screens when you can ( during major service ). The one in the frame has a tendancey to get tight. Here is a photo showing the removal direction. I stripped the hex on mine and had to use vice grips plus a little tap tap with punch and hammer:

Here's the little bastard and it's seal:

Here's mine after just 1100 miles of hard trail use ( High passes of Col. and a ride in the Big Bend of texas ):

The other screen is inside the clutch case:

Here's what you will need to remove the clutch cover and put back on:

Have fun with your new bike. With just a little planning and service work it will go many a mile!!!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #16503
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by detailer57
OK, I bought my 04 around 2 months ago. I finally had the opportunity to take it out on a real ride. About 100 + - dirt miles and 20 + - road.

On the dirt, man it was a blast. This this sucked up the washboards and most but the biggest with no problem Never bottomed out.

But how the hell do you guys ride all those miles on paved roads?
My butt was more sore from riding 20 miles on pavement then 100 on dirt. At 65 - 70 MPH I was bored as hell. Just the buzzing of the knobbies and that brick of a seat.
Any suggestions how to make pavement a little more tollerable?

Well on my 06 i have done 15,000 miles on it, mainly all pavement. So far on my 02 on this trip i have done almost 2,000 miles. Im intending on doing atleast another 20,000 miles. About 90% of this trip is going to be pavement. What i have done is lowered the whole bike with a lowering link. Then i lowered the seat by about 2 inches. I then put about an inch of padding back in, but not of the seat foam. This is one of those gardening knee pads that you buy from ace hardware. My longest day so far has been 375 miles, all street. Now this seat isnt too much better for long range than stock. However i have gear right behind me to lean back on as well as a windscreen. Also what helps is moving your butt forward on the seat and leaning back. Basically keep changing up where the seat contacts your butt. Unfortunately ive discovered that with this kinda seat you can only get "so" good, because of how it is designed. Your legs hang down both sides as opposed to a crusing seat where it is more like a car seat and it supports your entire arse. Yes highway pegs help too, but i just use my skid plate instead. Just be careful not to get your boots too close to the headers. Or you could do what someone on here did. They turned the back part of their seat into a cruising style seat. However id rather just keep adjusting myself and spend the ~$500 on something else.

For further comfy seat info see your local Harley dealer.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #16504
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaitor
Has anyone installed one of these on an XR, I'm in the process and the factory doesn't have an instruction sheet on it so I may be fabbing some brackets, unless someone here has an easier solution.

Trail Tech X2 Install Instructions

Thanks
Oh man... Yeah that thing won't work on the XRL at all. Trail Tech tried it a couple times but there is something with the resonant operating frequency of the light circuit that backfeeds into the CDI causing immediate or near immediate failure unless you run it with one of their race lights.

I'm sorry you can't use it, but if you want to send it to me I might be able to get it working.

Just kidding bro, I've been doing inspections and all kinds of craziness out here on the water and I had to have a little fun. Seriously though, where do you plan to mount it to (the triple clamp, existing head light bracket)? I don't think I've seen an XRL with one of those, but I have seen an XRL with a Gucci seat, and while completely unrelated if someone can do that making a bracket should be easy. BTW, I f you are going to put screws into a bracket, don't dip the bracket in platic-dip, the screw will grab it and twist it out/off. Not too cool, I saw it happen yesterday to my sweete little piggy

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #16505
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJDave
Thank you. Yes, I've been on Craig's list as well as Cycle Trader.com. Drove 300 miles yesterday and looked at 2. One was really beat (imho) for only 5000 miles and the other turned down what I felt was a fair offer. Have had little luck with dealers getting back to me. Had one tell me 3 times they would call me back and never did. (Later spoke with the owner and explained, lol.) Anyway, I want very very clean or an awesome deal on new if anyone knows of one.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTou...es?msg=40351.1

John
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #16506
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,965
fritzcoinc. Whats the number of the fram filter? Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #16507
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,674
Filter

Part Number CH6015

Zoom
CH6015_012406.jpg

Product TypeMotorcycle Full-Flow Lube Cartridge

Product Height1.48"
Product I.D..47"
Product O.D.1.97"
Relief Valve Setting PSI18-22

Filter # CH6015

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #16508
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLight
Howdy guys. I am sorry to put this up here but I am new to the XRL. I figured someone could point me to the info faster than I could find it myself.

I am wondering if there is a consensus on a good oil for a 2002 model. Brand and weight. I will probably stick to conventional. I'm not opposed to synth though. Thanks for your help.
Honda recommends 10w40.........if you are riding in temps higher than 70 or 80 degrees you can consider 15w40 or 20w50.......but you really don`t need to worry on this,Honda says 10w40 in the manual is recommended,so i stick with it...As for brand.....i use Castrol,Honda GN4, doesn`t matter there either,but i stick to a motorcycle oil.........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #16509
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
Honda recommends 10w40.........if you are riding in temps higher than 70 or 80 degrees you can consider 15w40 or 20w50.......but you really don`t need to worry on this,Honda says 10w40 in the manual is recommended,so i stick with it...As for brand.....i use Castrol,Honda GN4, doesn`t matter there either,but i stick to a motorcycle oil.........

B
+1 on the 10w40 til it gets hot, then I go up to 20w50. I always get motorcycle oil because car oil viscosity will break down too quick. I guess the big things to remember are to change it at regular intervals and keep it clean. My first 3000 I changed oil and the filter every 600 or so, now I'm at 8000 and I change it every 1000 unless the oil gets too hot or I ride it really hard, then I will change it sooner. I know it can go longer but I would rather replace oil than a motor. My $.02

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #16510
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Wattner to the white courtesy phone, Mr. Wattner courtesy phone please...

Sorry fellas for the brake in. Mike I will get it sorted Wednesday as I need to build a wiring harness to jumper things out correctly while at work tomorrow and I have meetings after work. I'll call soon.

You all may now resume normal conversations, that is all....

Dave
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #16511
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Rode the bike over to Moonshine Illinois Thursday and did a little dual sport ride. I bought some dirt bagz off the flea market and I am tickled with them. They hold just enough, quick on and off and very secure when on the bike. Here's the bike packed and ready to go.

This was one of the water crossings. It wasn't too muddy anywhere but the crossings, but they were an adventure. This 2wd Ural with sidecar did amazingly well but got in a deep hole here and drowned. He eventually got it going. He said he had only had it for 4 weeks. Maiden voyage.

There was a KLR that had a unique chain oiler. He just reached down every now and then and gave it a squeeze. Ingenious!

John
Old 04-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #16512
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
the chain oiler looks cool , but i bet that dudes bike is a greasy mess from oil slinging all over the place when it hits the chain at 50 mph
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #16513
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
the chain oiler looks cool , but i bet that dudes bike is a greasy mess from oil slinging all over the place when it hits the chain at 50 mph
It really wasn't too bad. I don't know what he had in the can. It is a KLR after all .

John
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #16514
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
bow down and worship me

Na im just messing with yall.

Look what my piggy has. The first ever Wolfman side racks for this bike.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #16515
FJDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Thank you. I did see that one and looks nice...but way too far for me. In talks with one, an '08 with 210 miles for $5000.00. Also found left over new '07 for $5200.00. Also found an '07 with 500 miles for $4300.00. I was hoping to stay under $4000.00 but they either have a lot of miles or been rode hard and wrecked often, lol. One will grab me soon I hope. :)
FJDave is offline   Reply With Quote