Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #16561
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
scratchindirt,

Looks good!! how do you like the RSW triple clamp with the scotts dampner? I have been looking for a while but have not made the move...

Cumbacheech
Same here. Its hard to spend that kind of money on a bike that cost me $1400. But the funny thing Is i have most of all the aftermarket farkle. I just been lucky and found everything used or cheap. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #16562
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchindirt

Nice set up. I like the tank decal, where's that from?

I have had the RSW triple clamp and Scott's Dampener for a month now. When I rode the whoops I normally do the bike tracked so amazingly that I thought I had new suspension. What a difference. For me....I say worth the $$. I haven't found any difference at hiway speeds. The front end still wobbles in the wind when a big truck passes by.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #16563
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Question for the masses.......

My chain chain is chewing up the chain guide. The screws are exposed that is holding it to the swing arm.

What are you guys doing to fix this. Buy an OEM replacement or aftermarket. What and where?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #16564
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
My chain chain is chewing up the chain guide. The screws are exposed that is holding it to the swing arm.

What are you guys doing to fix this. Buy an OEM replacement or aftermarket. What and where?
By any chance are you using a 14 tooth sprocket? If you are that makes the chain rub closer on the guide. It causes it to waste sooner than normal. I have tried both aftermarket and stock guides. I got longer wear from the stock one. Also with the aftermarket one it did not fit perfect. I had to mod it a bit to fit. The best price I have found for aftermarket one are at rockymountainmc.com. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #16565
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
So...

I re-installed the coil after removing the corrosion and took it for a test ride and failed to replicate the spontaneous cutting out of the motor.

Secondly, I checked the valve and they were in good standing and couldn't find anything floating around at the base of the valves (where I heard the rattling).

I stopped over a buds' house and he pulled out a stethoscope mechanic tool and we listened a bit all over the motor and narrowed the noise to the movement of the rockers. I was a bit relieved to not have to pull the head but I would still like to see another XR and listen to the motor.

On a side note, I did see an XR while I was caging it in the Audi and the dude had me laughing aloud. I rolled down the window to listen to the dude approach the light I was sitting at. Well he has looking to the left while slowly approaching a stopped car when he suddenly looked in front of him and grabbed a fistful of brakes before ramming into the car from behind. Was worth a good laugh. Anyhow, test run to work tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

R.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #16566
Break_Syncro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo

I had that problem, I took the stock chain guide and copied it out of 1/4 inch thick UHMW. A little noisier, but longer lasting, although I have a 15 teeth sprocket.

Hope this help!
Break_Syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #16567
RideLight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
First ride in the dark...

Morning folks!!

Well i changed my oil last night. I went with the rotella, and the fram filter. Good so far.
My question today is how can I aim my headlight higher up? It is a little droopy so low beam is direcly in front of me, I ended up just leaving it on high the whole ride into work.
I had the fairing off the other day to try and raise the light but that frame is so flimsy I felt like it was going to bend beyond recognition. The bolts that hold the light must have some sort of loctite on them. Are they meant to be loosened?
I eventually want to go the dual light route but that isnt in the cards right now. So it would be nice to get those bolts broken loose. Any suggestions?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #16568
jasonkop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLight
Morning folks!!

Well i changed my oil last night. I went with the rotella, and the fram filter. Good so far.
My question today is how can I aim my headlight higher up? It is a little droopy so low beam is direcly in front of me, I ended up just leaving it on high the whole ride into work.
I had the fairing off the other day to try and raise the light but that frame is so flimsy I felt like it was going to bend beyond recognition. The bolts that hold the light must have some sort of loctite on them. Are they meant to be loosened?
I eventually want to go the dual light route but that isnt in the cards right now. So it would be nice to get those bolts broken loose. Any suggestions?
yeah, they come off.
jasonkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #16569
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkop
yeah, they come off.
I had a heck of a time getting mine off and I think I tweaked the framework around the light doing it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #16570
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
New windscreen

Well my old Mair screen is going to give up the ghost soon, so it is time to get a new one. I ordered this

http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail...F650Stock%6003

Saw a OEM GS650 Dakar screen on a DRZ 400, (Somewhere in thumpers here)and it looks good. Of course I need to come up with mounts. I am considering cutting the portion that V's over the headlight area so it will mount tighter to the top of the headlight.

Not sure on how to mount it yet either, does anyone know of a place where I can get universal mounting hardware? The windscreen does not have any holes in it whatsoever, so it is kind of a blank slate.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #16571
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
By any chance are you using a 14 tooth sprocket? If you are that makes the chain rub closer on the guide. It causes it to waste sooner than normal. I have tried both aftermarket and stock guides. I got longer wear from the stock one. Also with the aftermarket one it did not fit perfect. I had to mod it a bit to fit. The best price I have found for aftermarket one are at rockymountainmc.com. Ben
Well I was using the stock 15-45 when I noticed the chewing, but I am now using 14-48.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #16572
miweber929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
94 motor part out and CDI FS

I posted that I was parting out the motor on my 94 and only had one person who was only slightly interested int he head. I think I am going to pull it off the Flea Market in the next few days unless someone else is interested in something. I think I am going to totally redo it over the next few months with a ported head, high comp pistion and a cam as well as the NX gear and a new oil pump if there is no interest.

Been WAY busy with work and only have 4 miles on the "new" motor but so far things seem fine with it so I am OK with selling the old one.

Oh yeah, I also have a spare CDI of anyone is looking for one that I bought from Father X for $75 plus $5 shipping when i thought I may have an electrical issue. When I bought my motor the guy had another CDI and I think I only need one spare so i will offer it up to whoever wants it here first before the market for exacyly what I paid for it.

PM me if interested 'cuz I don't check here too often lately and we get to talking!!!!!

Mike
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #16573
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,096
Thanks

I just want to say a THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to the disbursement of my XRL.

I learned a few things in the process.

A picture is worth a thousand words...but sometimes that is not enough.

Shipping a used fuel tank is tricky...Febreze is not enough ...double bag that thang!

the thing I learned that I am most impressed with is...

I MISS MY BIKE (or a bike)...soon...soon

Happy Spring all and THANKS!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #16574
scratchindirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
scratchindirt,

Looks good!! how do you like the RSW triple clamp with the scotts dampner? I have been looking for a while but have not made the move...

Cumbacheech
Thanks! It's actually a Scotts triple clamp from a XR600R. I had to make a few bits to get the instrument panel and switch bolted up. The dampener is great. Well worth the money on any bike IMO.

Quote:
Nice set up. I like the tank decal, where's that from?
It's a Factory Effex generic XR graphics kit. I don't think they make them any more but you can still find them on ebay.
scratchindirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #16575
P3rcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
XR650L LED Signal light install HELP Needed

Hi)

What part number Relay do I need for this install ?
2008 XR650L I've just installed an "Tridon EP 37 Electronic Flasher" 2 pins and still have issues with the signal lights. If I plug in the front ( or rear) signal lights they work as usual, Left or right side flashes ok
As soon as I install a 2nd light to either side, my flashers act light 4 way flashers only :(

If I have 4 LED + 1 regular(incandescant bulb) signal light they work fine.

What relay have anyone use that cures this issue. I would rather not install resistors on my bike.

So what flasher have people used?
Tks Paul
2 LED signal lights now ! for the OTher 2
P3rcr is offline   Reply With Quote