Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #16621
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4
I have a Hotcam w/o the auto decomp. It's a total pain. No joke. I would go with the Megacycle or similar next time.

BP
Thanks BRTP thats stuff I want to hear
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #16622
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Brian,

I have the 173x25 which is the mild Mega Cycle cam. The next one I will get will be the 173x34. The 173x25 I have I didn't do anything other then their rockers. Stock springs. The 173x34 will be using short guides and a spring kit. Now I know that they RECOMMEND their treated rockers I am sure the stockers will be fine.

Check the web site:www.megacyclecams.com

And it's page 31. The XL600 and XR600 cams are all there.

Thanks again Steve Big help
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #16623
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
I always buy a 120 chain. I buy two extra master links and carry the extra chain and links on the bike in the tool kit. I also have a small chain breaker so that if something bad happens I can add a section of chain and another master link and get back. The difference in price has never been enough to worry about. I do need a bit longer chain because I do run 14/50 with the dirt wheels.
Cigar Mike
Good points. Thanks.
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #16624
RideLight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
More questions

Howdy folks, got a few questions after a couple of days on the new XR.

1. What range should I expect with the stock tank? Bike has been un-corked. I hit reserve a touch under 90 miles on the way home tonight. Is this normal?

2. Is there such a thing as taking off half of the smog junk? It looks like one or two of the lines off the carb have been plugged/changed. Not sure what the stock routing is. It def. looks like it has been modified. The bike runs strong but I think it needs a little help w/jetting and so forth. I have a shop manual coming from the guy I traded with so that will help. I was just hoping someone might know off the top of their head.

3. Definitely going with a larger tank regardless, does anyone have a source for one that isnt $200+? I found the Clarke for 185 but I would like something a little bigger/better looking. I really like the looks of the Acerbis but it is a little pricey. May just have to bite the bullet and get one.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #16625
RideLight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideLight
Howdy folks, got a few questions after a couple of days on the new XR.

1. What range should I expect with the stock tank? Bike has been un-corked. I hit reserve a touch under 90 miles on the way home tonight. Is this normal?

2. Is there such a thing as taking off half of the smog junk? It looks like one or two of the lines off the carb have been plugged/changed. Not sure what the stock routing is. It def. looks like it has been modified. The bike runs strong but I think it needs a little help w/jetting and so forth. I have a shop manual coming from the guy I traded with so that will help. I was just hoping someone might know off the top of their head.

3. Definitely going with a larger tank regardless, does anyone have a source for one that isnt $200+? I found the Clarke for 185 but I would like something a little bigger/better looking. I really like the looks of the Acerbis but it is a little pricey. May just have to bite the bullet and get one.
Granted I am coming off of a bike that gets 70-80 mpg.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #16626
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Well, it was a beautiful day up here in the Northwest Territories (+14 C), so I decided to take the Pig out and burn up the old gas that's been sitting in the tank over the Winter. I headed East from Hay River for about 70 kms and checked out a few of the trails off the Fort Smith Highway (Hwy 5).

Some roads were still covered in snow, with the underlying dirt saturated with water which made them very soupy.

Other roads weren't too bad as long as you stayed in the wheels tracks.

The ponds and lakes are still ice covered though.

Found the carcass of a dead something by a culvert.

I think that it's what's left of a bear.

Hard to tell for sure though ... as all that's left is a couple of small pieces of it's hide and a BIG pile of hair.

The bike worked great, but it was a bit hard at first getting used to going 75 mph on the Highway on knobbies after running 17 inch Sumo wheels with sticky, wide SM tires for two years.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #16627
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Sweet pics Dog. I have just about the same amount of snow to contend with here but this weekend will be balmy. I like your bike......how would those mirrors hold up in a crash? Do oyu plan on changing those.....if so with what?

Got a front shot of that headlight?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #16628
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrittner
XRL's are the sweetest bikes to look at. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Wierd mirrors. Do they fold down?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #16629
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
Got brakes?
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #16630
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
I myself seem to have the worst of luck. Last update I sourced a ignition spark flaw. Problem solved with the help of Steve.

I ride 100 miles and on the way home smoke is billowing from the front of my motor. I ride to a buddys' pad when I look at the motor. On the head just above the spark plug, there are two horizontal flat head bolts with a short extension that goes into the motor ( I don't have my book here but it has a 6mm hex head). Well that bolt started to back out! Fooking sux.

Then I noticed my newly purchased XRs only oil temp gauge doesn't work anymore.

I'm not giving up on this beast but damn; I had less problems with my Ducatis'.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #16631
lasercustoms
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrittner
How are thous tires treating you? I am looking for some good half & half tires that won't break the bank....my little piggy one
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #16632
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,087
One is not like the others....

Name:  warpig tail light.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  25.1 KBI have a four year old tail light assy that I can't find the replacement for. Yes, I've seen the shorter one, but I reallllly like this one. I was in San Diego when I bought it and can't find the replacement on any of the websites (XRs, Baha D's, etc). It has the little window at the back for the license plate light, too. Has two screws that hold the lens on (vice four on the shorter one commonly shown on ADV). I like this tail light because it sits up about 1.5" higher than the other guys....more visible. I busted the lens and want to replace either the lens or the whole thing. If anyone recognizes it and can point me in the right direction t'would be greatly appreciated!
Jim
Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #16633
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,087
Ahhh crud...it's a maier tailight.

Thanks to the guy three pages up with the black seat and maier taillight for enlightening me! Problemo solved!

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common...210301&imgId=0
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #16634
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Rider
Also I need some advice (opinions).. I will be sending my head to XRs only to get the big fins put on. Heres my question. Should I go with the hotcam and lose the decompression system or should I go with a webcam or megacam?? How important is the decompression system. from what I hear from JSCompto it was a good thing. XRs only says its not a good thing. What do you think???? Thanks guys

Brian
Hey Brian you have your bike torn down right now? There is a good ride near St. Louis Derby weekend. Look in the Central Region forum for the Swinging Bridges Ride. Should be a hoot.

John
Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 AM   #16635
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
rrittner, what skid plate do you have?
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote