Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #1651
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorider
I just picked up my 06 "L" and the first thing I have to do is get a tank. I tried searching but it's exhausting finding out everything I need to know about each tank. Here are what I think most people would like to know.

-Capacity
-Shroud removal and if so what replaces them, if anything
-Petcock set-up
-What need to be relocated
-Does it do what it's supposed to

I believe the choices are Clark, IMS and Aceribis.

Anyone feel like helping out?
I installed a Clarke 4.7 on my L. Shrouds are gone, uses the standard petcock from the original tank and nothing had to be re-located. Make sure the bottom of the tank is not rubbing the top of the engine, DAMHIK. I used the crappy brace they supply (cut in half) to brace the tank using the stock frame mounts.

Great tank
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #1652
Coloradorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I think the Clark is the one but didn't Honda puts the shrouds there for a reason?
Coloradorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #1653
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
I think the Clark is the one but didn't Honda puts the shrouds there for a reason?
I assume they did it to try and channel some air to the engine (that has a history of running hot since it's air-cooled) but the Clarke tanks almost does the same thing. In any case, the shrouds won't fit with the Clarke (nor any after-market tank I believe).
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #1654
Chief Gunner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Thumb Acerbis 5.8 Gallon tank for the XR650L

I've been asked where I got mine by a few XR riders here. Here is a link to where I got the XR Valdez....

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...&cPath=1_9_126

Here is where I bought: Eibach Springs, the header & Exhaust Pipe, Case Guard, Fork Brace Kit, Smog Block Off kit, the Fork guards, Chain slider, magnetic engine drain plugs, Oil temp thermometer / dipstick and where I will get my big bore kit once I flog the stock engine to death...

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index...=139&Itemid=77

Now she's truly a Dualsport...the best of both worlds!

Chief Gunner screwed with this post 11-27-2007 at 02:00 PM
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #1655
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,447
Update... and IT WORKS!!!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchester
The mount is pretty simple but requires a very small amount of fabrication. You just have to make the aluminum L bracket that holds the cooler up and in a bind with the back side of the frame tube/oil tank. I used a rubber tube bumper over the bolt that goes through the cooler. This allows the stainless screw type clamp to secure the L bracket to the front of the tube. The bracket is shaped so that when you clamp it in place, it pulls up and out on the cooler. I'll probably add a 2nd clamp to make SURE it does not come loose. I used the XR400R lines and cut them off after the fittings so I could clamp on quality rubber oil line to plumb it into the bike.

Of course I wont know exactly how effective it is at cooling for MONTHS because it will be COLD here in Ohio until at least May... My goal was to do this in such a way that it could be removed and leave no trace it was there. In that, at least, I have suceeded. Some may not like the idea that I am cooling the oil as it goes into the tank rather than as it goes into the sump, but I didn't think it would make a great deal of difference in the overall cooling of the system. My only fear is that the cooler will cause some back pressure and change the oil flow characteristics out of the head. I'll be keeping an eye and an ear on this.
OK, just got back from my test. I unhooked the cooler very easily with one hose change. Then, I ran up the highway until the temp gauge stabilized at 230 deg F. I came home, hooked up the cooler, added about a 250ml more oil to get the level back up, and went back out. This took a total of 15 minutes to make the switch, add the oil, and button everything up. Back out on the road I go and run up the same highway at the same speed and wait for the temp gauge to quit rising again. This time the needle stopped moving at 185 deg F. A 45 deg F drop, not bad... All of this was done at a an air temp of 45 deg F so I'll expect higher temps when it's 90, but I hope the 45 degree drop remains true. That will mean I'll be at 250 or so in the worst conditions I am likely to ride in, and that will be fine with me. And no leaks either...

The other issue of course was already mentioned... I had the space to mount the cooler where I did only because I had relocated my front fender. It looks to me like the stock fender would hit the cooler badly unless it was trimmed quite a bit. But it still may work. If I had a stock fender lying around, I'd test this theory, but that wind catcher was sold long ago...

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #1656
scibeer
Lost

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
I just picked up my 06 "L" and the first thing I have to do is get a tank. I tried searching but it's exhausting finding out everything I need to know about each tank. Here are what I think most people would like to know.

-Capacity
-Petcock set-up

I just got the IMS tank. The shrouds go away and you use the stock petcock like the Clark. Everything is pretty damn sturdy and looksl like it will work great. Nothing gets relocated. They give you 2 aluminum brackets that mount to 2 of the shroud mounts and you use the stock mounting point for the rear with a new bolt and rubber gromet they provide.

I've had a few other aftermarket tanks and the IMS seems to be as good or better than others.
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #1657
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by scibeer
I just got the IMS tank. The shrouds go away and you use the stock petcock like the Clark. Everything is pretty damn sturdy and looksl like it will work great. Nothing gets relocated. They give you 2 aluminum brackets that mount to 2 of the shroud mounts and you use the stock mounting point for the rear with a new bolt and rubber gromet they provide.

I've had a few other aftermarket tanks and the IMS seems to be as good or better than others.
Clarke works great, fits well, but I can't get and stickers to stay on without bubbling. Oh well, small price to pay for the extra capacity.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #1658
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
I just got a Corbin seat off ebay that was made for an XR600. Paid $110 shipped. Bolts right up. Havent ridden but the sit felt great!

So far I have spent $1040 on the bike (including the bike, but not including new tires). I must say i've got the ultimate budget bike.

$500 for the bike and $540 in parts and it runs great. I'm taking the bike through central america this coming May and June. Trying to get it setup right, but CHEAP.

Cheap college student/husband/dad style.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #1659
ptwohig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I put the acerbies mega tank on mine, I believe it is the six gallon tank. Did not have to cut or relocate anything, has daul petcocks and mounts rock solid. I also get around 200miles a tank. The only draw back it takes a little getting use to when its full. Advantage though is that the tank has wings built in that resemble the factory wings. I will get pics up soon.
ptwohig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #1660
Coloradorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Is the aceribis the only one with dual petcocks?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #1661
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Is the aceribis the only one with dual petcocks?
I believe it is, yes.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #1662
Ghoti
Sooper Brane

Oddometer: 14,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehow
Having taken my carb out for the tenth time trying to get it all set up, I'm tired of stripping the Philips heads screws all up in that area. Soooo I got a bunch of stainless steel allen head metric screws from McMaster.
The screws from the carb were replaced a while ago but the clips holding the carb and the screws for the throttle cable. I don't think theres a single philips screw in sight. At least in that area.
Anyone else done this?
I couldn't get these size screws in a stainless steel locally so I had to order them, So now Ive got way too many.
I just got back from my local bolt supply company after picking up 12 flat head socket stainless steel screws for the front master cylinder cover for a grand total of $.75.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #1663
Coloradorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
I believe it is, yes.
And only a 5.8 Gallon, right?

Thanks btw
Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #1664
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
And only a 5.8 Gallon, right?

Thanks btw
That I'm not sure about as I have the Clark tank.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #1665
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Quote:

-Capacity
-Petcock set-up

I've got the "4 gallon" clark tank on my 06
Had to shim the rear of the tank to keep the petcock from hitting the head.
Moved the regulator to the brackets the smog stuff was mounted to on the left frame tube, now the empty frame tabs don't bug me.
Got the "clear" tank and marked off the gallons so ya got an idea how far ya can go.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote