Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #17371
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
Would you guys be ok with getting 10,000 miles out of a chain sprocket set? I would break down the 10K miles. 7000 miles road miles, 3000 miles off road. The sprockets still look pretty good. But I always change my drive set at the same time. I got the 10k miles on a primary drive 14 and 15 fronts 45 rear and rdo chain. This was on my 97 xrl. Ben
I`d be jumpin for joy.......but it seems chains don`t like me or something..

Brian
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #17372
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,249
This is it

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
Do you have aditional photos of how you mounted that plate? I'd be interested in seeing them.
Hey birdo, here's a pic of how my dash plate is mounted

It's pretty straight forward and simple and subject to change when my windshield shows up
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #17373
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Back in the saddle

Well I got my chain installed

but I still have this little problem

I have a sprocket cover/case saver from XRs only on the way but I wanted to put something on there.

I found out that the reason I couldn't shift the bike out of gear was because the chain was wedging the shifter down so apparently the only damage from my chain was the sprocket cover and the chain it's self.

-Barron
Old 05-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #17374
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Barron thanks.

I got 19000 miles out of my stock set. Probably could have pushed it farther. I tried to save moeny and bought the Primary drive set 14/48. I don't have much on it but I can see that it won't last too long. That crazy break in the chain has me reconsidering using the chain. I have a 15/45 coming just in case it pooches earlier than expected.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #17375
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Barron thanks.

I got 19000 miles out of my stock set. Probably could have pushed it farther. I tried to save moeny and bought the Primary drive set 14/48. I don't have much on it but I can see that it won't last too long. That crazy break in the chain has me reconsidering using the chain. I have a 15/45 coming just in case it pooches earlier than expected.
Holy shiat!!!

I've only got 7500 kms on my bike, and I'm on my third chain ... it amazes me how you guys make your chains (and sprockets) last so long.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #17376
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron

I have a sprocket cover/case saver from XRs only on the way ...

-Barron
Can you post a link to the part you ordered?

Thanks.
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #17377
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Chain life

This is What my chain life has been.

At 13,700 miles replaced original DID O ring chain with new Did O ring chain. Replace sprockets with Suntour sprockets. Replaced Chain slider. It was worn through and chain was rubbing swing arm.

25,172 Replaced chain with DID O ring chain. Replaced chain slider. At 25490 replaced both sprockets. (They were back ordered)

33,200 replaced chain and sprockets. DID O ring chain suntour sprockets.

47,030 Replaced chain, DID non O ring. Replaced sprockets, suntour

48,153 Replaced chain with DID O ring chain. (Master Link broke)

55,144 In preparation for a long trip, replaced chain with RK X ring chain and new suntour sprockets. This chain and sprocket set were not wore out. I just didn't want to deal with finding a new chain and sprockets on the road. I'll finish them off later.

Current milage on the bike is 67,833.

On the first 2 chains I use chain wax for lube. After that I have used PJ1 black label. Chain wear has been comparable with both lubes, but I have not worn out a chain slider since switching to the PJ1.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #17378
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l

At 13,700 miles replaced original DID O ring chain with new Did O ring chain. Replace sprockets with Suntour sprockets. Replaced Chain slider. It was worn through and chain was rubbing swing arm.

25,172 Replaced chain with DID O ring chain. Replaced chain slider. At 25490 replaced both sprockets. (They were back ordered)

55,144 In preparation for a long trip, replaced chain with RK X ring chain and new suntour sprockets. This chain and sprocket set were not wore out. I just didn't want to deal with finding a new chain and sprockets on the road. I'll finish them off later.

On the first 2 chains I use chain wax for lube. After that I have used PJ1 black label. Chain wear has been comparable with both lubes, but I have not worn out a chain slider since switching to the PJ1.

Walter
Hey Walter are you running stock gearing ?

John
Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #17379
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Sprocket cover/case saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
Can you post a link to the part you ordered?

Thanks.
Here you go

http://www.xrsonly.com/content/index...mart&Itemid=70

I could have replaced it with an OEM one but I have wanted one of those things for a while. Until now I just couldn't see spending the cash on it, but since I have to replace it anyway...

-Barron
Old 05-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #17380
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Well I am kinda embarrassed to say but D606's. I had a set on it that I took to Big Bend Texas (trailer down) and then up to Illinois (rode up 250 mi one way) so they were pretty close to shot. It was a last minute trip and I didn't want to hassle with changing them. Noisy as hell but they did real well in the rain. I usually run IRC GP110's on the tar and I have a set in the garage but I was just lazy and wanted to get the last miles out of the 606's. They will be coming off before any more out of the city trips. The only high speed part of the trip was the return home. I hit the slab because it was raining Noah's flood. Oil temps hovered around 200F in the pouring rain and mid 70's for two hours of 70 - 80. GPS max speed when I got home said 82.

John
Oh I see you don't normally run 75 on knobs it was the rain. Must have been bad we got 5 inches in that storm and didn't even get mentioned on the news.

I found out why my highway ride was so bad, bent front rim. Maybe I should look into some IRC GP110's too
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #17381
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l

Walter
What chain slider did you replace it with? Mines pooched the cain is cutting into the screws.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #17382
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
Hey Walter are you running stock gearing ?

John

Yes

Walter
Old 05-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #17383
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What chain slider did you replace it with? Mines pooched the cain is cutting into the screws.
I replaced with the stock unit. I'm talking about the one that wraps around the front of the swing arm. Part # 52170-MN1-681

Walter
Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #17384
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:

but I still have this little problem

I have a sprocket cover/case saver from XRs only on the way but I wanted to put something on there.

I found out that the reason I couldn't shift the bike out of gear was because the chain was wedging the shifter down so apparently the only damage from my chain was the sprocket cover and the chain it's self.

-Barron

Sweet,gotta like that all that got damaged was the chain cover

That`s a pretty crazy airbox cover...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #17385
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:

I see you have your CC vent hose and filter routed right in front of your rear tire ... probably not the best place to have it. All the mud/dirt/water that you go through is going to be slung directly into the CC filter with it there, which could possibly contaminate your oil. It's better to have it mounted in a position where it will be exposed to minimal water/mud/dust. I have mine located up behind the tank and under the sidecover, and I've seen others mount it underneath the seat.