Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #17401
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife
???????????????????

i got the OE one if ya want...

I was thinkin of painting the red one silver...

B
Nah, I've got the OE too. The football thing is from some movie...
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #17402
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Nah, I've got the OE too. The football thing is from some movie...

i figured it was something like that...

Brian
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #17403
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
Yeh.. sold everything... But thats ok!
NX650 gear sounds good, wheres the info on the kick starter?
Adding a kick-start to the XRL

Enjoy!

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #17404
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
ride on and ride safe XRL people!
Why? You go'in somewhere?

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #17405
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
ride on and ride safe XRL people!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #17406
miweber929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad
He had his XRL up for trade for a while as he wanted something more "street" and faster. Maybe that finally came through.

Personally I am always surprised as to how much people are willing to change for 5mph in top speed. Ride the bike at 65-70 and you'll both be happy. Above 75 longterm without the proper setup and you are playing with fire as the bike is out of it's element. It's a dirtbike, not a streetbike; there are much better street dual sports out there if that is what you want.

Anyone buying a dirtbike and expecting a freeway cruiser is sadly mistaken as everything that makes it good offroad will make it suck on.

Mike

miweber929 screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 05:36 AM
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #17407
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929
He had his XRL up for trade for a while as he wanted something more "street" and faster. Maybe that finally came through.

Personally I am always surprised as to how much people are willing to change for 5mph in top speed. Ride the bike at 65-70 and you'll both be happy. Above 75 longterm without the proper setup and you are playing with fire as the bike is out of it's element. It's a dirtbike, not a streetbike; there are much better street dual sports out there if that is what you want.

Anyone buying a dirtbike and expecting a freeway cruiser is sadly mistaken as everything that makes it good offroad will make it suck on.

Mike

Yup..........i can`t ride this pig on the highway for more than 1/2 hour without getting really pissed off..the knobbies roar and the vibration sucks,,no wind protection...it`s no street bike.....

Yeah i know you can put street tires on it,windscreens,etc,etc...sure you could.........but you could take a street bike and put knobbies on it and call it a dirt bike too couldn`t you...........both would stink doin it..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #17408
N[]vA
Adventure Geek

Oddometer: 3
Picked up a very tidy 94 Xr650L on saturday for my girlfriend with only 20k km's on it
08 BMW G650 Xcountry = write off
08 BMW G650 Xcountry = replaced
N[]vA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #17409
Margarita Machine
MLC 001

Oddometer: 63
Wink XRL For the Long Haul . . .

Quote:

Mike
Folks,

I did another 200 mile ride this weekend; hence, I probably burned all the carbon deposits off everything. We cruised the freeway at approximately 73 MPH for about 60 miles and then the rest of the trip was between 65 to 70. The bike ran great and I was trying to keep it below 70 on the side / back roads. I've been running the Shell Rotella 5W40 synth. oil for about the last 2K or so miles. Once, on the way to the ride a car almost ran me over as I was doing 70 so I nailed it; Instantly I was up to 85 easily and ran about 1/2 a mile till I got the heck away from the 4 wheeled Idiot. The bike is capable of more; however, as earlier stated - the XR650L is out of it's elememnt and will probably be toast if you keep it up for long. Sorry no pictures since it was just me and a guy on a 1500cc Kawasaki cruiser of some type.

Keep it below 75 for the long trips and I think it will last forever with proper maintanance.

Regards all,

Margarita Machine,
1983 Yamaha IT 465
1984 Kawasaki KLR 600 - P.O.S.!
2008 XR650L - Recently Sold
2003 VTX 1800S - Rock Solid
Margarita Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #17410
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
XRL woes

Well as many of you know Motorcycle Solutions did some work on my bike (and very poor work at that) Part of which was a hone and rings. Well that did not turn out so well either, it's now leaking oil out of the airbox (from the breather of course) and burning oil.

I was quite certain after getting it back, that work was going to be necessary. But come on, 600 miles, that's not too good.

Anyway, now I'm looking at a bore, piston and valve seals. I'll find out more once the head is off.

Anyway, on this past road trip, with the exception of oil consumption, the bike was great!
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #17411
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
Well as many of you know Motorcycle Solutions did some work on my bike (and very poor work at that) Part of which was a hone and rings. Well that did not turn out so well either, it's now leaking oil out of the airbox (from the breather of course) and burning oil.

I was quite certain after getting it back, that work was going to be necessary. But come on, 600 miles, that's not too good.

Anyway, now I'm looking at a bore, piston and valve seals. I'll find out more once the head is off.

Anyway, on this past road trip, with the exception of oil consumption, the bike was great!
That sucks when you pay good money and someone screws it up,,then won`t stand behind their work..it seems no matter what they`ll find an excuse for blaming the owner........i guess that`s why i do all my own work,then at least i can look in the mirror to find the culprit

B
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #17412
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
nx 2nd gear

How do you like the new 2nd gear Techforlife? I find it to be much better, I was in Ontario in early April (South of Thunder Bay) and with 13/48 gearing it worked great in the tight stuff
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #17413
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
ditto

Quote:

Mike
Highway speeds with stock gearing and engine with an XR250 oil cooler, 80 degree air temps at 65 usually equals 225-230 oil temps, 70 mph usually 250-260 degrees, 75 climbs to 270
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #17414
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
How do you like the new 2nd gear Techforlife? I find it to be much better, I was in Ontario in early April (South of Thunder Bay) and with 13/48 gearing it worked great in the tight stuff
It`s really sweet,,i can almost come to a stop in the tight stuff and motor away,i`ve actually come to a stop a few times on the street in 2nd and pulled away without much trouble...the gap is now between 2nd and 3rd but you are moving fast enough you really don`t notice it..I recommend this mod for sure,,well worth the effort if pulling the cylinder off for any reason...you might as well go in and change that for the few bucks it takes.

I find the 15/45 gearing works great with it,,can`t imagine using 13/48.....geezz that would be too low for my liking..The whole reason for doing the NX650 2nd gear is so i can keep the stock gearing,and still be great in the woods..

B
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #17415
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:

Are you sure the burned oil isn't going in the intake?

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote