Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #17956
darenative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
For those that have them, which shop manual do you find most useful? Clymer? Haynes? Who else makes one? What about the Honda factory service manual?
\

You can't go wrong with the factory service manual. There is a link floating around somewhere on ADV for the electronic version....for free. I think it is a 94 or 95 model year publication, but the only thing that has changed since then is color and graphics. I would offer to send it to you via email but the file is to large for hotmail. Somebody will probably chime in with the link shortly.
darenative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #17957
Nasty Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hey guys have a question I put on my head and for got put install my cam chain guides my question is should I buy another head gasket or can I use the same one I have not started the bike with that head gasket my gut says to use another one I do have a cometic gasket that came with my piston just don't want to use it if I dont have to. Any opinions are welcome

Thanks Brian
Nasty Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #17958
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Gasket

Always use a new gasket. It simply is not worth the $$ + headache to have to do it all over again.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #17959
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,739
my 2002 650L

I have just bought a 2002 XR650L they really are a bit down on power aren't they... I had ridden a mates before buying this one and his seems much more punchy than mine....

Mine has a Staintune muffler, 14/48 gearing, but won't lift the front wheel in 2nd even with a hand ful of clutch...... the snorkel has been removed.. I haven't checked the jetting yet, but suspect I will need to have a look there...

Any other tips on getting this poor bike a bit more punch? oversized headers maybe?
Don't get me wrong I like the simple engineering of the bike, that is why I sold my KTM690 and bought this..

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #17960
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,208
Chain sliders

FWIW the next time you get bored or do any maintenance on your bike check the frame sliders. I changed mine after 8500 miles, and I could not believe how worn they already were. The big one that wraps around the swingarm was amazingly close to having a hole in it(if I put it up to the light I can see the thin spots), the small one at the front was about gone and I checked the part number for the piece that comes out of the chain guide under the rear of the swingarm because the new piece looked nothing like the original.

-Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #17961
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo
I have just bought a 2002 XR650L they really are a bit down on power aren't they... I had ridden a mates before buying this one and his seems much more punchy than mine....

Mine has a Staintune muffler, 14/48 gearing, but won't lift the front wheel in 2nd even with a hand ful of clutch...... the snorkel has been removed.. I haven't checked the jetting yet, but suspect I will need to have a look there...

Any other tips on getting this poor bike a bit more punch? oversized headers maybe?
Don't get me wrong I like the simple engineering of the bike, that is why I sold my KTM690 and bought this..

Joe
If that's the case, there must be something wrong with it ... especially if you're running 14/48 sprockets.

When I bought my '06 (new and still totally stock) it would lift the front wheel in 1st and 2nd without any clutch. After putting on an FMF PB header, Big Gun muffler, removing the snorkel, installing a UNI air filter and a 41mm FCR carb, I have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground in the first three gears ... and that's with 15/45 sprockets.

You might want to take the carb off and see what it has for jets ... maybe the previous owner got in there and screwed something up.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #17962
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
took off the 6.2 gallon tank and put the huge 7.2 gallon tanker on. perfect weather today 75 degrees in the ca hills!

kubiak screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 09:51 PM
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #17963
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak
took off the 6.2 gallon tank and put the huge 7.2 gallon tanker on. perfect weather today 75 degrees in the ca hills!
stopped by the center of ca today!

kubiak screwed with this post 12-02-2010 at 09:51 PM
Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #17964
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Rear Caliper Question...

I bought a XR's Only rear rotor guard on Ebay this week...the one that the rear axle goes through...with it, I got the caliper, rear master cylinder, reservoir, and all the brake lines. Went to install it today using the caliper already on the bike, and the hole in the guard bracket was no where close to matching the hole in the wheel, with the caliper over the rotor. I did notice that the rotor was also rubbing against the rear pin that goes through the brake pads...after looking more closely, I noticed that the number stamped on the caliper on the bike was F7, and the number on the caliper that came with the guard was S4. My thinking is there must be some difference in the caliper or this guard is not for the L...Anyone have an idea? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #17965
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
For those that have them, which shop manual do you find most useful? Clymer? Haynes? Who else makes one? What about the Honda factory service manual?

I have a Clymer and the Honda manual. The Clymer goes into more detail, I think, but I haven't really torn into anything heavy yet. They came with the bike when I bought used so it's not like I picked those for any reason.

The aforementioned online manual:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/29356393/XR650L-Manual
Old 05-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #17966
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Damn ! I don't know whether to love you or hate you. Beautiful once again

Do you post those just to make us jealous?????
Old 05-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #17967
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy
I bought a XR's Only rear rotor guard on Ebay this week...the one that the rear axle goes through...with it, I got the caliper, rear master cylinder, reservoir, and all the brake lines. Went to install it today using the caliper already on the bike, and the hole in the guard bracket was no where close to matching the hole in the wheel, with the caliper over the rotor. I did notice that the rotor was also rubbing against the rear pin that goes through the brake pads...after looking more closely, I noticed that the number stamped on the caliper on the bike was F7, and the number on the caliper that came with the guard was S4. My thinking is there must be some difference in the caliper or this guard is not for the L...Anyone have an idea? Thanks!
No idea really. Where is this number stamped? On the top of mine when it is on the bike i see a L-2. Mine is a 2006.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #17968
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy
I wonder if it's for a 650R?

-Barron
Old 05-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #17969
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
Damn ! I don't know whether to love you or hate you. Beautiful once again

Do you post those just to make us jealous?????
yes i try to make you jealous.lol!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #17970
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
yes i try to make you jealous.lol!
Well you are doing a really good job of it!

Great looking bike by the way

-Barron