Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #19126
Sparkster
Live seriously.

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
I removed my header last week to get ceramic coated. While I was taking out the exhaust I broke a threaded stud. I was able to have it removed and installed a new. What I need advice is what is the best way to clean the rust on exhaust threaded studs? Thanks Ben
If it's the bolts I would just dremel 'em with a wire brush wheel. If it's the inside of the threads on the engine block I don't have the first clue what the safest way would be.
Sparkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #19127
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
I removed my header last week to get ceramic coated. While I was taking out the exhaust I broke a threaded stud. I was able to have it removed and installed a new. What I need advice is what is the best way to clean the rust on exhaust threaded studs? Thanks Ben
I took mine off a couple weeks ago for the first time. 99 model. I knew before hand I would be doing it so I did the dremel wire brush thing and then several rides in a row, after the bike cooled a bit but was still warm I hit them with PBBlaster. Did that maybe three times. All but one came right off and it backed the stud out of the head. Vice grips got the nut off. Be careful putting them back on. The dog bones look to be cast and the torque is only 12ftlbs. I don't know but it looks like it would be easy to break one.

John
Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #19128
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkster
If it's the bolts I would just dremel 'em with a wire brush wheel. If it's the inside of the threads on the engine block I don't have the first clue what the safest way would be.
+1.

I like to use regular old taps for cleaning internal threads.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #19129
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon
I took mine off a couple weeks ago for the first time. 99 model. I knew before hand I would be doing it so I did the dremel wire brush thing and then several rides in a row, after the bike cooled a bit but was still warm I hit them with PBBlaster. Did that maybe three times. All but one came right off and it backed the stud out of the head. Vice grips got the nut off. Be careful putting them back on. The dog bones look to be cast and the torque is only 12ftlbs. I don't know but it looks like it would be easy to break one.

John
John and guys. I am trying to remove built up rust on the studs. I am just going to replace the bolts with new ones. I need to figure out the best way to remove the rust while the studs are still on the bike? Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #19130
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,048
Rust Removal

Get an 8mm Die, opposite of a tap and chase the threads to remove the rust build up. Use plenty of lube

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #19131
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Get an 8mm Die, opposite of a tap and chase the threads to remove the rust build up. Use plenty of lube

+1 But actual "thread chasers" are supposed to be better for anything already threaded..........the reason is if the part has been threaded already a thread chaser will restore the threads without cutting any new metal off......a tap or die will try to cut the threads again,taking off metal and actually can weaken the thread.......but in reality both will work well,,lots of oil,,turn in 1/2 turn-back out,in some more,back out slowly prevents breakage..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #19132
River-Runner
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dog
Just use your elbow torque wrench ... meaning, just use common sense. You can get away with snugging them pretty tight on the rear sprocket without worrying about stripping/breaking them, but I wouldn't go too crazy on the CS sprocket because of the small bolts. Make sure you used Blue locktite on all of them, just to be safe. That's what I've always done, and I've never had anything come loose, and I ride my Sumo setup at 75 mph+ on a daily basis.
Yikes!!!

Do Not crank on the countersprocket bolts - touchy little guys......I've been getting new bolts every time I change the sprocket - just insurance.

Dave in Portland
River-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #19133
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by River-Runner
Yikes!!!

Do Not crank on the countersprocket bolts - touchy little guys......I've been getting new bolts every time I change the sprocket - just insurance.

Dave in Portland
Yikes what???

I told him to not go crazy on the CS sprocket bolts. Btw, you don't need to get new bolts every time you change the CS sprocket, just use equal portions of common sense and Blue loctite when you put them back on and tighten them.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #19134
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
Hi can someone tell me how to post pictures? thanks.
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #19135
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
John and guys. I am trying to remove built up rust on the studs. I am just going to replace the bolts with new ones. I need to figure out the best way to remove the rust while the studs are still on the bike? Ben
That is what I was talking about. I used this brush in my dremel to reach in and clean off the rust before removing the nut. It's only 3/4 inch in diameter and got right in without damaging anything else.

John
Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #19136
P3rcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
XR650L 16 Tooth Sprocket ?

Hi)
I'm looking for a 16 tooth Sprocket for my 2008 XR650L.
1 Anyone make a 16 for the XRL ? Brand, part # , cost?
2 Will it fit in stock location or ? Do I have to run it without case saver? or Do I have to get a aftermarket 1 or make 1?

Tks in advance for any info or links sent or posted Paul B
P3rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #19137
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3rcr
Hi)
2 Will it fit in stock location or ? Do I have to run it without case saver? or Do I have to get a aftermarket 1 or make 1?

Go here: http://www.pbisprockets.com/uploads/Honda_Catalog.pdf
to page 7. I have both 16 and 17 tooth sprockets in PBI 386, which is the one for both the 650R and Honda NT650 Hawk. They fit snug, but will work. The 16 will fit without any problems, but with the 17, you will need to re-route your stator wires coming out of the case. With the 16, you should be able to run the case saver, but not with the 17. The ONLY place I've ever used the 17 is at Daytona, on the bike pictured in my avatar.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #19138
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3rcr
Hi)

The kawi versys 16t will fit the XRL. I don't know if it's any cheaper than any others.
http://www.bikebandit.com/sunstar-fr...17203&t=1&td=1
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #19139
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Get some PVC tubing and make a spacer 1"-1.5" and preload the fork springs.
I did this only I cut the spacers to 22 mm and then used 7.5w oil (otherwise known as ATF) and it worked very well. I would recommend this 'setting'.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:01 AM   #19140
jnberr0
Priller Pilot

Oddometer: 387
Xr's only baffle installation?

Hey guys,

I don't have my bike in front of me to answer this myself:

What's involved with installing the XR's Only exhaust baffle into their oval exhaust? Does it screw in? Do I have to remove the end cap? Any riveting required?

Any help would be pre-shaded!