Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #2296
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Just got my Turbo City Borrego rack and Rox risers put on. It'll be so nice to have the smaller rack just for day to day stuff! For reference, I've also had the Turbo City Sequoia rack on there for the past few weeks. That one was good for loading lots of crap! This one allows the bike to still look like a dirt bike, and be able to strap a tail bag on for riding to work.

The Rox risers feel AWESOME, the bike really feels a lot more like a dirt bike now. Standing up, I don't have to bend over at all anymore...

As far as the windscreen goes, I went on about a 200 mile ride a couple weeks ago (see my post a page or two back) with my Turbo City windscreen, and I don't know if I could've done it comfortably without the screen on the highway. It was a windy day too, so windy the guy who was coming up to ride with me turned around and went home...
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #2297
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca2264
A quick question for those who have added a windscreen. I am considering it but wonder about how it handles the cross winds? Obviously the wind in the chest is obnoxious on our bikes above 50, but you do get used to it. What I really hate is the cross winds from other vehicles and wonder if the windscreen would act like a sail. Thanks.
Here is what I put on mine. Streetshield Deflector N2595B DX Tinted.

I've had it on for a while and love it. Takes the wind off your chest and also removes very quickly for off road. It's very adjustable for different positions as well, and even at far above legal speeds, it does not seem to affect front end stability.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #2298
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I forgot to mention that my slipstreamer S-06 can disconnect in about 30 seconds.
I'm thinking about getting a rear rack for the top, not for the sides. I like the turbo city, but it looks pretty wide. Anybody have opinions on racks?
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #2299
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRsteve
I forgot to mention that my slipstreamer S-06 can disconnect in about 30 seconds.
I'm thinking about getting a rear rack for the top, not for the sides. I like the turbo city, but it looks pretty wide. Anybody have opinions on racks?
The Turbo City Borrego rack is a bit wide I'm guessing when compared to a Pro Moto Billet one or the like, but it was designed specifically for the Cortech/Tourmaster Sport tail bag, and it fits it and supports it perfectly. This rack seems like it would work good for a lot of different tail bags too. If you saw my bike in it's current set-up, you wouldn't think it looked bad. The tail bag I'm referring to has a really good look to it, a lot like the KTM bag, and it holds everything I need for the day. It even expands on the sides to give you even more room. I'm a guy with the like of a true dirt bike look, and this set up is great in my opinion. Tires, tank, tail light, and handlebar risers go a long ways to pull this look off. I wish I had a good picture to post up right now but I don't. I could also use a new set of rubber right now to make it even better...

Disclaimer: I've never seen a Pro Moto Billet rack in person, so I can't verify my first statement.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #2300
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
BeeDub, I'm guessing you have the turbo city? I've seen pictures of it, and to me it looks a little wide. I haven't seen one in person. The reason I'm considering that rack is because I already have a Cortech sport tailbag I use on my 919. I will probably end up getting a turbo city rack.
I do have a few questions. How does the borrego rack mount? Does it bolt on where the original tool bag goes?
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #2301
flowbee836
n00b

Oddometer: 6
[quote=XR650L_Dave]Yes, especially if you're changing the exhaust.

Dave[/quote So I rejet and do your mod or is your mod rejetting I am so confused
flowbee836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #2302
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Anybody have opinions on racks?
I like'em BIG!!!...

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #2303
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,710
[quote=flowbee836]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave
Yes, especially if you're changing the exhaust.

Dave[/quote So I rejet and do your mod or is your mod rejetting I am so confused
The standard recipe is to pull the snorkel, use a better air filter, drill the slide holes, shim the stock needle, and put in 55/158 jets.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #2304
mehow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I added new forks this winter, and shes ready to ride.
Attached Images

mehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #2305
mehow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Only thing is, now I'm delocating everything in the dash area. And the key switch is just plain big. Its got the steering lock, which I can no longer use. Has anyone thats relocated their keyswitch, for whatever reason, got any advice for me? Do you think I should get a different key switch? how can I jam this one in behind my light and be happy with myself? I mean the thing is huge.. I've tried to dissasemble it to see it it can be slimmed down, but even after you take out the safety torx screws on the bottom, you can really take it apart much further Or at least as far as I can tell.. Anyone got any help?
Attached Images

mehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #2306
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
BeeDub, I'm guessing you have the turbo city? I've seen pictures of it, and to me it looks a little wide. I haven't seen one in person. The reason I'm considering that rack is because I already have a Cortech sport tailbag I use on my 919. I will probably end up getting a turbo city rack.
I do have a few questions. How does the borrego rack mount? Does it bolt on where the original tool bag goes?
Yes, I have the Turbo City, thought I said that in my post but it must've been a few back. I believe the rack uses the same holes as the tool bag, but you may have to drill a new one or two because Turbo City includes an extra support brace for under the fender. I didn't have to do this because Turbo City used my bike as a prototype for several parts and installed the rack for me.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #2307
randyradio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
XR650L carb questions - want to go back w/stock exhaust

Hi listers. I love all the gurus abounding around the list. I got a 2000 XR650L with a aftermarket exhaust which is a bit louder than I'd like.
I'm sure it's had the smog capped, and the carb mods done and it has a K&N air filter. It's stong but blappy onthe off throttle run, like going down hill. I want to go back to the stock exhaust which I have.
with the avobe noted mods. At GA sea level with no Gasahol here what would be the stock jets? and the needle is probably a aftermarket one that came with the upgraded jets.

I see on the 4strokes list that the stock exhaust at sea level jetting would be around 55/158 What are those numbers. 55 is the Pilot jet I guess what's the 158? I guess that's the Main jet. These sound right? Or is a 160 closer to correct? and how many turns out on the carb screw? I just like it quieter and with a good pull all the way up.

Leno says if Obama and Hillary go on the same Ticket in the fall it's gonna be called "Ebony and Ornery" HA

Randy in south GA
randyradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #2308
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehow
I added new forks this winter, and shes ready to ride.
Oh holy shit that bike looks sweet!

Good job man.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #2309
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyradio
I want to go back to the stock exhaust which I have.
Damn, and here I was ready to trade you straight up for my stock exhaust...

Sorry I can't help with your question.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #2310
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
re:carb mods

I am running stock exhaust with the Daves Mods. Can't recall jet #'s right now but whatever the mod called for is what I have in, drilled slide, shimmed needle etc.I have a foam element air filter instead of the stock one.Bike runs like a champ.Don't go to stock jets is what I recommend -stock is a bit lean, and runs hotter.