Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1
Adjustable top case channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo View Post
I'd like to see pics of that

few details to finish on the CRF fork mount, and the rack is on the list. I'm thinking like a car seat linkage for one handed adjustments with a spring to pull it forward.... I'm not sure how that's going to happen, but i'll figure it out when I get there. Maybe i'll just use an actual car seat rail. We'll see.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #25187
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
...who cares,it`s sealed... ...these CDI`s do get hot,...
It's kinda dirty in the battery compt. too...
So Brian, have you actually noted this firsthand? Is it much? I ask because I ran mine a bit after doing my repair and before buttoning it up, and I didn't notice any rise in temperature.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #25188
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
Quote:
I have one and it sucks, leaks oil out of the window. I went back to stock because now I use my Vapor.

SPUD. Looks nice and clean. Where's the CDI ?
I forgot to ask about them leaking too. I had heard that also. Thanks! That is the info I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Dude, get a rubber stopper for the interim... it'll be easier and not leak while you're making up your mind and waiting for delivery
I think what I have now is doing better than what a rubber stopper would do. I lost maybe a half teaspoon full if that in over 100 miles. A stopper doesn't seal the threads and that puppy would be leaking like a sieve for sure.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #25189
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,499
Here you go elbirdo. This is all I found on side panels.

http://www.bikebandit.com/ufo-side-p...14272&t=1&td=1

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...2000#sch408232

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...&mmyId=8800297

I didn't find anything on ebay
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #25190
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...probably wouldn't like the way I hooked up my electricals either but it's been working so far...
..I still have the black cannister, should I put it back on,,,,sans PCV ?...
Whether somebody else likes it is totally irrelevant
What's important is doing things that make sense because we understand what's going on. I figure Honda for the most part understands bikes more than I do, so if I'm gonna change something, I'm gonna know why, what I'm giving up, and what I'm gaining.

I would forget the valve and filter, reinstall the vapor collector, and plumb the bottom of it sloping down into the engine (no trap bends, the oil has to flow back to the engine via gravity without blocking the hose), and the top directly to the airbox above.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #25191
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I can get a complete set of UFO side covers for the XR600R for the same price as a single, OEM, left side cover. Should I avoid the aftermarket, UFO side covers? I would truly appreciate more input from any of my fellow inmates.

Spud

I like stock factory parts because THEY FIT! I have NEVER EVER had aftermarket plastic that completely fit everywhere. Somewhere I would have to push and/ or twist it to get things to line up
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #25192
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
...A stopper doesn't seal the threads and that puppy would be leaking like a sieve for sure.
You must be greatly experienced in a completely different type of rubber stopper than am I.
If you get down this way, let me know, and I'll search to see if I can find you one on hand here. No guarantees, but if you're heading this way, I'll look.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #25193
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

My UNI filter was black with oil so I'm trying to remedy that plus leave room for carb access. I still have the black cannister, should I put it back on,,,,sans PCV ?
I reistalled my air-oil separator and the UNI still gets kinda black after a couple thousand miles. You are going to get a certain amount of oily blow by no matter what. But I do get less oil in it now than before. I always had a slight bit of oil sitting in the bottom of the air box before I put it back on. Not much though.

Quote:
I didn't notice any rise in temperature.
The day I was having the no start issue I did notice the center of the CDI was slightly warm. Guys, is that normal?

BTW, I never did find out why it wouldn't start. It's been flawless ever since.

Damn Honda reliability....

Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #25194
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You must be greatly experienced in a completely different type of rubber stopper than am I.
If you get down this way, let me know, and I'll search to see if I can find you one on hand here. No guarantees, but if you're heading this way, I'll look.
Don't sweat it. I'm good.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #25195
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have one and it sucks, leaks oil out of the window. I went back to stock because now I use my Vapor.
where does the temp pickup go for the vapor? It's on the list, but i'm just axin before it comes.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #25196
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspecialties View Post
...Now i have to put a clutch in the bike. ...
That's too bad Sad thanks for helping a fellow out
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #25197
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Don't sweat it. I'm good.
That's cool; jes' sayin'... don't hesitate to holler, whatever.

It's getting more handy to believe there was a touch of condensation in the gas you bought right before it died. Who knows, but it's an easy explanation, and can settle your mind if you want to believe it...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #25198
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
where does the temp pickup go for the vapor? It's on the list, but i'm just axin before it comes.
It goes on the right side rear of the engine cylinder head ?? Somewhere in there. I might have a pic.

Name:  heatshield.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  84.1 KB

Quote:

I would forget the valve and filter, reinstall the vapor collector, and plumb the bottom of it sloping down into the engine (no trap bends, the oil has to flow back to the engine via gravity without blocking the hose), and the top directly to the airbox above.
Thanks...I think I know what's going on. The oil passes by the valve and stays up, not coming back to the engine. It just flies into the airbox.

On the fix list......I wonder why the KLRers do it..

El Birdo screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 08:54 PM
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #25199
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

My speedo cable took a dump a while back, around 2800 miles ago. I need to advance it that much, and I hooked up a drill today, but the setup wasn't sustainable long term without direct supervision. At 2800 rpm on the drill I was running at "85" mph. At that rate I would have to run it for 30 hrs. I need to figure out how to roll it forward a lot quicker. I pulled the display apart and couldn't see how to get to it without popping some plastic wells which I don't know how to fix if break them.

Is there some ferries bueller trick so I can roll the odo quickly. Id settle for am hour of work if need be. Any ideas?

beechum1 screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 09:38 PM
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #25200
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It goes on the right side rear of the engine cylinder head ?? Somewhere in there.
Thanks bird. Or should I say, word. Do you know if its an accurate representation of the oil temp?