Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #241
TWISTEDL
Watch This !!!

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
The picture I posted was from the U.P. of Michigan last summer when we did the U.P. Safari http://rokklym.smugmug.com/gallery/1034044

I usually do most of my riding up in Central Wisconsin on the ATV trails and forest roads. There is plenty of sand in that area!
Thats what I thought from your picture. I plan on getting up that way this summer
TWISTEDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #242
Denisesewa
wounded adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Here's Mine, before and after ( hope this works)

As I bought it 4 weeks ago
Attached Images

Denisesewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #243
Denisesewa
wounded adventurer

Oddometer: 100
as it is today

04 seat, clark 4.7 tank. skid plate, motard front fender, ufo rear fender and headlight , home-made windscreen , protapers, IDS II exhaust,de-smoged,
battery repositioned ,trimmed side panels. still to come- regeared 14-46 , headers, forkbrace and oil cooler.

http://hometown.aol.com/denisesewa/index.html
Attached Images

Denisesewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #244
QuickMule
Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
I see you moved into a much nicer place too.
QuickMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #245
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,429
Winter is time for modding the bikes so here is what I'm up to. Adding heated grips and a custom aluminum bracket with L.E.D.'s and toggle switches plus the BMW mini 12v outlet. I'll be doing the jetting mods and taking the motor out to see why its using so much oil, I'm guessing its the rings but we'll see.
I put an Acerbis tail light on last winter and it went through bulbs like mad, so I moddified it with a dremel and put in an automotive grade outlet in place of the mis spaed one Acerbis put in.
The last project I just got done tonight was putting on a fender for a CRF450.
My friend made some spacers to make it work and it fits good. THe color isn't exactly like the XR's but close enough.

Hopefully it will warm up a bit so I can get it up to the carwash to clean it up so I can take the motor out..
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #246
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
The supermoto conversion is ready for road testing.
Attached Images

2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #247
ride4fun
Twist and shout!

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Does anyone have alot of experience with the XRL in sand?

I've had my fair share of troubles in the loose & deep stuff. I was wondering if anyone else has issues with their XRL in sand?

last fall, I went on a trail ride with a completely worn out rear D606 and two days later I did the same trail with a new tire and the bike handled alot worse. I was thinking this was due to the geometry change due to the taller tire. Anyone else notice anything like this? I was considering softening up my rear shock to give it more sag.
If I could make this bike handle better in the loose stuff, I'd like it alot more! I was also wondering if anyone has tried a fork brace or a steering stabilizer. I think the brace would help alot, those forks are pretty skinny!
Try sitting way back over the seat. On the pegs.The front tire should not dig in and steer the bike. Your weight (way back) and a good steady twist of the throttle should get you thru. Try not to spin the rear wheel more that you should. It needs to bite and move you forward, not spin like crazy and no traction. I live in New Jersey, ride in the Wharton State Forest, the pine barrons, and practice in the wooped out sections of sugar sand. Nasty stuff. Find your comfort zone and relax. Let me know how you make out.
ride4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #248
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun
Try sitting way back over the seat. On the pegs.The front tire should not dig in and steer the bike. Your weight (way back) and a good steady twist of the throttle should get you thru. Try not to spin the rear wheel more that you should. It needs to bite and move you forward, not spin like crazy and no traction. I live in New Jersey, ride in the Wharton State Forest, the pine barrons, and practice in the wooped out sections of sugar sand. Nasty stuff. Find your comfort zone and relax. Let me know how you make out.
I've gotten alot better since that Michigan trip. I was actually to the point of enjoying riding sand by late fall. Keeping the weight back, on the gas and loose on the bars helps, but putting that new tire on really changed the behavior for the worse. I still feel that the XRL doesn't have the best geometry for sand and needs at least a fork brace.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 02-22-2006, 05:06 PM   #249
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Rokklym: Did you ever trace down that oil leak from the clutch cover? Before you condem the piston rings I wanted to chime in and say that significant oil usage in these bikes is "normal" when you ride hard enough to allow the oil temp to reach 275+F. That CRF fender looks good. Do you have any plans to upgrade the exhaust?

Denisesewa: Nice work updating your XRL. Is it running good now? Trials bikes and Pa. sprint cars! I'm in love.
2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #250
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRob
Rokklym: Did you ever trace down that oil leak from the clutch cover? Before you condem the piston rings I wanted to chime in and say that significant oil usage in these bikes is "normal" when you ride hard enough to allow the oil temp to reach 275+F. That CRF fender looks good. Do you have any plans to upgrade the exhaust?

Denisesewa: Nice work updating your XRL. Is it running good now? Trials bikes and Pa. sprint cars! I'm in love.
Stay tuned on the exhaust... it will be quite custom!

The clutch cover had a crack in it and I used quick aluminum to fix it and it hasn't leaked since. The bike always used a little bit of oil but its gotten bad lately ( last fall ). My mechanic friend said a quart per 1000 miles insn't bad but mine goes through a quart every 500 probably. That might not be too bad but we were usually doing at least 400 miles every weekend. The bike also smokes a bit, especially on startup. It runs like a champ but I gotta find out whats wrong, I hate to have that in the back of my head when i'm riding.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 02-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #251
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
My money is on valve guides. Let us know.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #252
hotwheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
xr650l in the sand

After riding close to 30k mi in the sand in Ocala National Forest on a 650l, let me suggest one thing. Get some real tires for the sand, Michelin s12, 140/80x18 in the rear, 90/100x21 in the front. If the rear tire rubs the chain shield, redish the wheel one turn of the spokes. Loosen the drive side spokes one turn, then tighten the brake side spokes one turn, this will move the rim to the brake side enough to stop the rubbing. These tires will allow you to gain control and learn the moves you need to negotiate the deep sand. Once you learn how to control the motorcycle in the sand with these tires, you can go to a less aggressive tire and still negotiate the sand, the moves are the same. I also trim the knobs off of standard/non soft terrain front tires. The knob rows alternate, 3 knobs, 2 knobs, I trim off the two outside knobs on the three row. This opens up the tread pattern and lets you steer the motorcycle. I run my suspension soft and low, the fork tubes are slid up in the triple clamps 1", the rear spring preload is adjusted about two to three turns of the adjuster from free (no preload) spring, adjust shock dampening to suit.
hotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #253
RRob
Studly Adventurer

To run a 140mm or larger rear tire you may need to cut this off.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #254
RRob
Studly Adventurer

...so that it looks like this.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #255
RRob
Studly Adventurer

...replace the stock plastic chain guard with your own aluminum creation.
Attached Images