User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #26011
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,809
Keihin Fuel Cut Off Diaphragm

Where oh where can I get a Keihin fuel cut off diaphragm?? I just did the Pinesol treatment to the project bike's carb and the diaphragm is on it's last legs.

Also does anyone have one of those oil separator canisters? I had one until the garage gremlins took it. Bastards.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #26012
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
True they are different bikes but not by that much. The XRL isn't exactly an ideal "trail" bike either. Single track around here is hell on a XRL so for me It wouldn't be much difference between the two.
I see a 990 ADV in my future too. I've noticed over the last six, eight months reading older posts on different threads and noticing folks sig lines, a lot of XRL owners have moved to, or added to the stable, a 950/990ADV...
My L was taken a lot of places it didn't belong (hence my ADV name).

After riding it for 10 years, I replaced it with a DRZ and a KLR. You really need the right weapon for the task at hand. I have a KTM 2-stroke for trail riding, a DRZ for tough dual sport rides, and a KLR for back roads.

If you can only have one bike, the XRL isn't a bad choice. You'd have to be an AA rider with a big budget for replacement parts if you want to take a nine fity on single track.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #26013
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
...I just did the Pinesol treatment to the project bike's carb ... does anyone have one of those oil separator canisters? ...
I haven't heard of this Pinesol treatment. Is this an easier, more effiient way to clean a carb? I could use one of those separators myself; please let me know if you get one too many!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #26014
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
... You'd have to be an AA rider with a big budget for replacement parts if you want to take a nine fity on single track.

That says every bit of what I was saying, but in a helluva lot fewer words!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #26015
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Knobby Knife

Any of you guys tried this thing?

http://www.knobbyknife.com/

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #26016
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

1) You really need the right weapon for the task at hand.

2) If you can only have one bike, the XRL isn't a bad choice.

1) See my signature

2) My BMW R100gs is a pretty good one bike do it all bike. A little bigger than the L but a better road bike. Yes I have taken it to some tough area's. Two up on the LA-Barstow-Vegas Dual Sport ride and the 6 Days Of Northern California Dual Sport Ride

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #26017
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

I haven't heard of this Pinesol treatment. Is this an easier, more effiient way to clean a carb? I could use one of those separators myself; please let me know if you get one too many!
Ya just need to go over to the Garage section some time:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=pinesol

There's alot more to life than just hanging around Thumper Land...eh?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #26018
Break_Syncro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Where oh where can I get a Keihin fuel cut off diaphragm?? I just did the Pinesol treatment to the project bike's carb and the diaphragm is on it's last legs.

Also does anyone have one of those oil separator canisters? I had one until the garage gremlins took it. Bastards.
Honda sells the air cut of valve with the. I'll check tonight to see if I have a good used one.

Oher wise, I don't know if this will hel you, look much like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

I'll get back to you tonight.
Break_Syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #26019
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
A 950 or a 990 wouldn't be that different from an XR650L on tight single track?

I've gotta question that statement...

Dave
Translation=For the single track around here both would be napping a lot.

Quote:
I have to throw my two cents into the wishing well. First, bwalsh, since I know you personally, I think it's fair to say you are not a trail rider. No offense; just my observation. If you have any doubts about what I mean, let's take a ride into the forest down here.

I'm talking technical rocky trails, not FS roads/jeep trails. There would NOT be a lot of difference. A smaller bike will almost always be a better choice.

My recent ride on my friend's CRF450X has shown me that these guys have a distinct advantage not only of lighter weight, but more power over our XRLs. Those are some SWEET trail bikes! An XRL is a damn capable trail bike, if not a bit of a handful. Not a beginner's trail bike! That being said, I've shot by several of those guys on the trail tooling along on their high-tech bikes, unable to take full advantage of their bikes' capabilities

Yep, experience plays a big part in anything.

But trying to do what we do on a 990ADV would be unfathomable for me,
People do it.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #26020
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break_Syncro View Post
Honda sells the air cut of valve with the. I'll check tonight to see if I have a good used one.

Oher wise, I don't know if this will hel you, look much like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

I'll get back to you tonight.

Thanks.

The E-Bay XR600 item is a different part # than the XR650l #

It is listed as discontinued by Honda...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #26021
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,579
Quote:

I'm confused why a man of your discretion would choose to operate these knobby tires on mostly street.
What's to be confused about?
Why have a "dirt bike" and shod it with a more street oriented tread?
Most folks here ride their XR all the time, not just to and from trail riding like you do. What good is it when you do decide to hit some trails, you have inadequate tires for the situation? They are just as cheap to replace as a road oriented tire.

Quote:

If you can only have one bike, the XRL isn't a bad choice. You'd have to be an AA rider with a big budget for replacement parts if you want to take a nine fity on single track.
Yep, not THE best bike but a good compromise. That's why I own one!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #26022
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Stunning scenery, as always, sir Spud!
That's a good idea, reversing the tire. I'm sure you can get straighter wear that way. But the time it takes... maybe you've got one of those tire changers...
Your tire wear looks very minimal to me, by the way. ...
Thank you, Ono.

I change tires on my Moose Racing Tire Changing Stand, using Motion Pro Tire Spoons. Once I acquired the proper tools, and learned the proper technique, I actually learned to enjoy changing tires.
Quote:
... I'm confused why a man of your discretion would choose to operate these knobby tires on mostly street. They make some damn good options that go pretty darn well on gravel and most dirt trail which are so much better on the road. I bought mine shod with IRC GP110s, which I used for the first few rides. I'd highly reccomend giving these a try, or some similar, because on the street there's a world of difference. The difference on the trail to me is significant because I'm a dirt rider and I have a road bike that I go on the kind of rides you show. But I still use the roads to get to and from the trails on my XRL and I don't have near the lean angle on the knobbies that I had on the IRC's. (I used up a maxxis like yours) And I think the IRC's will take you at least twice as far as those knobbies in the rides you're showing.
As always, thank you for the good tip, Ono. In Idaho this time of year one can encounter a wide variety of road conditions as he explores the thawing terrain. Although I am riding mostly on the street, I am frequently exploring the gravel roads as they begin to thaw.

As the snow melts, more off road riding becomes available, and I enjoy heading down the gravel roads whenever I encounter the opportunity.

As I get older, I enjoy falling down less, and less. Therefore, I appreciate having aggressive tires mounted whenever I get the urge to explore a thawing road.

In rural Idaho, the aggressive tires are not a great liability on the street. Also, since I paid $35 for the Surge I tire, and $45 for the Maxxis IT tire, I don't think I could ride much more economically with other, less aggressive tires. Therefore, I prefer riding with the aggressive tires, and always being prepared to explore anywhere the opportunity presents itself.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 11:16 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #26023
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...url]http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117&highlight=pinesol[/url] There's alot more to life than just hanging around Thumper Land...eh?
Wow, awesome thread, Steve! Damn good to know!
And yeah, I'm already on the computer way too much!
I didn't realize there was a special place for wreching knowledge "the garage" - sweet! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #26024
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
... What good is it when you do decide to hit some trails, you have inadequate tires for the situation? They are just as cheap ...
Of course, but my point was about analyzing the type of riding you do, and rubbering-up accordingly. You'd have to try the GP-110s to fully appreciate what I was saying. I can't imagine they would be "inadequate" for any trail riding you're doing. Like I said, I ran them in the forest for several rides and they are not nearly the handicap in the tight rocky stuff that the knobbies are on the street.
I like to RIDE my bike, so when possible I'm going to make the best compromise for the kind of riding I'm doing most.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #26025
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
...Therefore, I prefer riding with the aggressive tires, and always being prepared to explore anywhere the opportunity presents itself. ...
I'll say this and then I'll shut up. Once you've tried these, you won't go back.
You'll just be, like, why didn't I try these sooner?