User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #28726
MR HANCOCK
OFF ROAD RIDER

Oddometer: 79
Question

hey JUNGLEPLANT i like the rack;s you make.!! can you show some pic;s of the headlite rack's you make..??? thank"s...mr hancock.

HONDA XR650L 2007
MR HANCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #28727
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Spud,
Thanks for the info !! I think that even in stock form the XR is going to feel much lighter than the KLR, so If I get one, I'll ride it for a bit and see if removing a bit of weight will even be worth it for me.

I will plan on putting on a good rack and mounting a 1500 or 1550 pelican top case, Bark busters, skid plate, and a windscreen. maybe better pegs too. Ahh, I'm dreaming of the farkles already, LOL
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #28728
Nibis
Where to next?

El Birdo,
Good to hear the XR is faster, even though the KLR had the 685.
I've had about 6 or 7 honda's in my life, and they were all great, except one, A 1986 700 Nighthawk, big piece of shit, well the 84 - 86 700s nighthawks were all pretty much junk, honda put weak starter chains in them, and the tranny gears were junk.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #28729
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR HANCOCK View Post
hey JUNGLEPLANT i like the rack;s you make.!! can you show some pic;s of the headlite rack's you make..??? thank"s...mr hancock.
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #28730
MR HANCOCK
OFF ROAD RIDER

Oddometer: 79
Question

jungleplant..(mike) i like the 2nd photo.! that bolt's right on the fork clamp's.?? look's like it would a good grab bar.!! OK how much.??

HONDA XR650L 2007
MR HANCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #28731
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR HANCOCK View Post
jungleplant..(mike) i like the 2nd photo.! that bolt's right on the fork clamp's.?? look's like it would a good grab bar.!! OK how much.??
PM sent
Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #28732
dustytennis
Avid Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thumb Xr650l

I was riding the other day at Coal Creek OHV in Oliver Springs, TN and I had a blast. They had some logging roads where I could test the acceleration of the XR. I definitely plan to go back again soon and recommend it to others in the surrounding area!
2009 XR650L
dustytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #28733
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Spud,
Thanks for the info !! I think that even in stock form the XR is going to feel much lighter than the KLR, so If I get one, I'll ride it for a bit and see if removing a bit of weight will even be worth it for me.

I will plan on putting on a good rack and mounting a 1500 or 1550 pelican top case, Bark busters, skid plate, and a windscreen. maybe better pegs too. Ahh, I'm dreaming of the farkles already, LOL
You're welcome. In stock form, the XR650L is 86 pounds lighter than the KLR650. Even after adding a luggage rack and a skid plate, my lightened XR650L is probably close to 100 pounds lighter than a stock KLR650.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #28734
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Sticker Shock!

Needed a new drive chain for riding in Ga this weekend...procrastinated too long to get one online, so went to my local dealer to pick one up this afternoon...Boy, did I get a surprise...$144.00 for a DID X-ring chain. Would not normally spend that kind of $$ on a dual sport, but two years ago, broke a chain in the very area we are going on a different bike, so no longer take any chances...checked Ebay and could get the same chain for about $30.00 less....figures!

Everyone have a good Memorial Day weekend!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #28735
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,402
Quote:
I'm still looking for opinion's.
, or has had DR's, KLR's.
I run up to white cloud now and then just to get some miles in, maybe i can give you some xrl seat time one of these days.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #28736
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
I run up to white cloud now and then just to get some miles in, maybe i can give you some xrl seat time one of these days.
Not sure where white cloud is, I'm a few hours fro KC
Thanks for the offer !!!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #28737
Nibis
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Hey, I was wondering how your RotoPax rack mounts to the frame, under the seat, look like it would work well for a pelican case
Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #28738
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Sourjon, and Jud,
Thanks for the feedback, I loved my KLR, had more fun on that bike than most any I have ever had. But it was a struggle off road, and I hated the big fairing off road, but loved it on road, as I used it to commute to work.

I don't do very long trips, The longest trip I do is the Missouri Swinging bridges ride, it's a little over 500 miles, over 2 days. The rest of the ride i do are closer to home, and maybe only 150 miles in one day.

I really want something more dirt worthy, the DR was great, but being 6'1", I felt the bike was little small for me, but better off road, I wasn't impressed with it on the highway, and my KLR was faster.

If I go for another KLR, I think I'll go with a Pre NG so I don't have that big ass fairing, plus it's a bit lighter.

I'm really leaning towards a XR though, love hondas !!, I'll take a look at the Husky's, but probably out of my price range, just like a BMW, LOL

Maybe I'll get the chance to ride an XR soon, and that will help me make a decision, anyway, I need to save up, and right now, It look like it's going to be about a year to save the money, just want to do my homework
Out in Moab couple weeks ago there was a big mix of bikes. 2 XRL, 2 KLR, 3 WR250, DR400, DL650 and an XChallenge. I rode one of the KLR's (an 01) for a bit and it was like sex with a fat girl after the XRL. Big old tank and kinda mushy. But the guys that are used to them ride the crap out of them.

John
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #28739
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Hey, I was wondering how your RotoPax rack mounts to the frame, under the seat, look like it would work well for a pelican case
bolts onto blinker brackets and seat strap bolts
Old 05-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #28740
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,402
Quote:
Not sure where white cloud is, I'm a few hours fro KC
Thanks for the offer !!!
Sorry, I misread location as Troy KS, duh!