Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #29536
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,410
Spud your pictures make me hate where I am more and more every day. Theer are beautiful parts around here but there is something about the West that just makes me yearn for it...

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #29537
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 524
Acerbis tank hardware.

Looking for mounting hardware for the Acerbis 5.8 tank. One piece or a whole set, what ever you've got.

I have the 5.8 on my xr4 and plan to switch it over to the L, acerbis wont sell me the kit so I am going to fab / piece the kit together.

Any help would be great, links, pics, etc. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #29538
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrington300 View Post
Looking for mounting hardware for the Acerbis 5.8 tank. One piece or a whole set, what ever you've got.

I have the 5.8 on my xr4 and plan to switch it over to the L, acerbis wont sell me the kit so I am going to fab / piece the kit together.

Wow with the 5.8 on an XR400 you must be able to ride from here to Yokohama without refilling. The hardware that comes with that tank isn't real great and has to be tweaked to fit properly anyway. If it takes a lot of effort to aquire it you might be better off creating it from scratch and you might just end up with a better solution. The rear mounting point is just a piece of metal bent kind of like a Z, and the front is a couple of tubes with ends crimped at 90 degree angles from each other. Sorry I don't have a pic handy.

By the way, does anyone know if any Honda petcocks will fit on the Acerbis 5.8?

flyingwombat screwed with this post 06-15-2011 at 12:00 AM
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #29539
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
My new camera arrived yesterday, so here is the first photograph of Rubicon's replacement, in his natural habitat.

Spud
Hey Spud, what kind of camera did you end up with? I am (was) using a Kodak DX4330 (just died) so I am searching for a replacement on the cheap with a DC plug-in like the old Kodak, meanwhile I scavenged the old DC plug-in from the DX4330 and grafted it to a Kodak C530 but the C530 doesn't have any sound on video (unacceptable)
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #29540
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,527
Quote:

There should be a middle mount that straddles the frame and attaches to the rear bolt of the top rocker cover bracket. I made some plastic bumpers that slip on and match up to recesses in the tank. I used some old rubber shock bumpers to keep the existing frame pins for the stock tank from rubbing. The rear mount's not hard to make.
I made front brackets out of 1/8" aluminum that bolt to all three theaded inserts in the tank figuring it would be better to spread the load among them in a biff. They hang down almost to the stock air deflector mounts, then two small lengths of 3/4 alum angle bolt to the wing mounts and the brackets. You can use a 12 pack carton to make "paper dollies" patterns, and don't use closed cell blue camp pad foam over the frame backbone. It melts and makes a big mess.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #29541
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Hey Spud, what kind of camera did you end up with? I am (was) using a Kodak DX4330 (just died) so I am searching for a replacement on the cheap with a DC plug-in like the old Kodak, meanwhile I scavenged the old DC plug-in from the DX4330 and grafted it to a Kodak C530 but the C530 doesn't have any sound on video (unacceptable)
I was using a Canon Powershot A590IS, until it finally died on me about a week ago. My new camera is a Fujifilm Finepix S2950, and I am just learning how to operate it. In part I chose both cameras because they employ AA batteries; I use rechargeable, NiMH batteries. I'm afraid I don't know much about DC plug-ins.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 06-15-2011 at 12:58 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #29542
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I'm more traditional; I prefer burial. This afternoon I shipped Rubicon's remains back home to Lodi, via Priority Mail. My new camera arrived yesterday, so here is the first photograph of Rubicon's replacement, in his natural habitat.

Spud
I took a different approach to enjoying the local trails yesterday. A great way to scout new trails:
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #29543
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:

PM sent.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #29544
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
There should be a middle mount that straddles the frame and attaches to the rear bolt of the top rocker cover bracket. I made some plastic bumpers that slip on and match up to recesses in the tank. I used some old rubber shock bumpers to keep the existing frame pins for the stock tank from rubbing. The rear mount's not hard to make.
I made front brackets out of 1/8" aluminum that bolt to all three theaded inserts in the tank figuring it would be better to spread the load among them in a biff. They hang down almost to the stock air deflector mounts, then two small lengths of 3/4 alum angle bolt to the wing mounts and the brackets. You can use a 12 pack carton to make "paper dollies" patterns, and don't use closed cell blue camp pad foam over the frame backbone. It melts and makes a big mess.
I am in the process of getting my Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank replaced. It developed a leak at the lower right mount and is still under warranty so Acerbis is replacing it for me, which is nice. I will use their mounts again, but I plan on making a small plate or bracket to pick up those three mounting points also.

At certain RPM's you can actually see the sides of that tank vibrating so some strengthening of that mounting location is in order I believe.

I got the tank originally from Just Gas Tanks in northern San Diego county and they have been excellent to work with throughout this. It's nice to see that there is still some great customer service out there. Many thanks to them and Acerbis USA.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #29545
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 245
Just did a nice ride

Rode a nice loop from NW Colorado up thru Wyoming and back. The XRL ran like a champ.

Great Basin
Photobucket

Browns Park
Photobucket

My ride report

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697201
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #29546
farrington300
No wait....What?

I bought the tank for a special trip where I needed 200 mile range. It worked great. Now Im just luggin extra weight. I also have a clark tank that will go on after I put the Acerbis on my xrL.

The Honda L petcocks will not work on the Acerbis tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Wow with the 5.8 on an XR400 you must be able to ride from here to Yokohama without refilling. The hardware that comes with that tank isn't real great and has to be tweaked to fit properly anyway. If it takes a lot of effort to aquire it you might be better off creating it from scratch and you might just end up with a better solution. The rear mounting point is just a piece of metal bent kind of like a Z, and the front is a couple of tubes with ends crimped at 90 degree angles from each other. Sorry I don't have a pic handy.

By the way, does anyone know if any Honda petcocks will fit on the Acerbis 5.8?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #29547
farrington300
No wait....What?

The middle mount is what I am most concerned about making. The rear mount and two front mounts should be pretty easy. But I dont know what the middle mount looks like or what it does. Does it just add to stability?

PS does anyone know if the Acerbis tank will work with a USD fork conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #29548
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
ah, Colorado

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #29549
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I took a different approach to enjoying the local trails yesterday. A great way to scout new trails:
I don't have access to a helicopter to scout trails (you lucky bastard) google maps works good too!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #29550
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,095
Quote:

I'll be taking the bike apart tonight to work on the carb. If my shoulder allows. I've got a wicked pull under the shoulderblade that's been there since last thursday, even through my SF trip. I'll take some dims and send them your way.

The acerbis worked wtih my USD convert. CRF 250x, entire front end, trips down.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote