User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #3001
Jager06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
2000 mile update

So I have driven less than I wanted these last few weeks, but I'm riding.
I had a hell of a time getting the core out of the stock muffler, it was glued in somehow, in addition to the tack welds and bolts. One long ride with it overheating was enough to break it all loose though.
I tried the 14/48 sprocket combo, and have decided to put another set of complete wheels and a chain on my wish list for now. People here in Cali change their tires at 70 mph, running 14/48 leaves me on side of the road with the scooters. I do like it street riding with the 14 front and left that on.
Had a hot ride in there too, at about a thousand miles, I looked down on my way back from the SF Bay area and saw that I was running over 350 degrees. I have had consistent problems running at 250 or better since I did Dave's Mods, and I have been re-jetting weekly in an attempt to find the sweet spot. SO for the remainder of the trip back, I turned off my give a shit meter and hoped it would seize and give me a reason to go big bore super mods. It made it and I have gone to an adjustable needle on the number 4 clip setting, 168/ 58 jets with the screw turned all the way in. I don't know anything about tuning so I hope having the mixture screw turned all in like that doesn't do any harm. I hope to get some feedback on this from the pros here. I will say this for it though, the front tire lofts in first or second just by cracking the throttle. I like that a lot.....
I threw on a CFR-450 front fender, which I think does a lot for the pig. The XRs Only rear rack has held up very well, with it hauling a lunch box/ cooler for daily work commuting and doubling as a grab rail with my wife or the kids putting around with me.
So far I am pretty happy. The stock tires suck ass and have put me on the pavement once when the front end washed out in a mild corner. Pretty embarrassing to be in full SWAT gear, headed for a call out and crash in a mild corner when the front tire hit the painted crosswalk lines. Lesson here? MT-21 tires next, fork brace with that too please. Other lesson? The XR Only skid plate saved the engine case and maybe even the shifter when the pig smacked the tarmac. Good investment. Im not so happy to have tested my XR Only temp gauge dipstick against one of the wife's cooking thermometers to find the XR Only temp was 20 degrees higher while immersed in the same glass of hot water.
All in all this bike is a blast. My ass is comforming to the seat nicely. The daily commute makes me laugh inside my helmet its so much fun, and I look forward to taking it out for some extensive trail and fire roads riding next. The latest mod (besides the jetting) is a RAM mount and a Garmin eTrex HCx gps. Good stuff and very confidence inspiring when tooling around in unfamiliar territory.
All in all this bike is the most fun I have had for a long time, just grab a handful of throttle, throw it into a slide and grin through the consequences!
Next on my list is:
MT-21 Front and Rear
FMF Power Bomb and Quiet Core 2 exhaust
Need input on a carb....Edelbrock? Still reasearching....gonna get one with the exhaust though...
Sunspension mods. I weigh 220 with my riding gear on, add some camping gear to that and I need recommendations for an upgrade.

Waiting to hear from you guys who have been at this for a while before I make any more moves...
Thanks,
Jager

Jager06 screwed with this post 08-09-2008 at 01:30 PM
Jager06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #3002
EpHu
TRX-Rider

Oddometer: 61
Thumb

My XR650L.
The way to Goverla (Hóvár).
EpHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #3003
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,316
Beautiful country side. Welcome to the XRL world.
Location states Russia, is that true? Always wanted to visit there. Post up some more pics for us to look at and say "wish I was there".

RH
Old 08-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #3004
randyradio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
XR650L Fork mods request info

Hi I have a 2000 XR650L and would like my forks updated and revalved etc and that adds up quick. So I've heard a Honda CR250 Forks (inverted forks) will fit on the 650L. I would guess to do it would require the fork clamps and all to complete it. Any gurus or howtos on the list to report on how it's done. I think it would come out more plush and competitive with the Cr forks and might total out even cheaper that getting those Revalve guys to go thru my forks.

Randy in GA
randyradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #3005
truck6driver
The Fireman

I have heard that if you get the complete CR set up all you have to change on the XR is the steering stem bearings and races to match the CR stem. Also remember that you will have to fab up cluster and headlight mounts since the XRL upper clamp is machined for the upper mounting brackets.

RH
Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #3006
EpHu
TRX-Rider

truck6driver, yes, beautiful, thank you! :)
My location is Russia, it's true. I will try to do (and post) more good pictures!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #3007
JoelSchmenge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
CR forks

Hey Randyradio,

Checkout http://www.emigracing.com/ they have what you need for a true CR swap with a beautiful product and good prices. Look on the left side under products and then scroll down to the XR650L/CR link and tadahh!!! This is my future mod

Dave
JoelSchmenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #3008
truck6driver
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpHu
truck6driver, yes, beautiful, thank you! :)
My location is Russia, it's true. I will try to do (and post) more good pictures!

EpHu,

Do you have issues with land closures for off road use or is there alot of areas to ride? If you have been looking on here awhile, you can see that riding areas are becoming few and far between in the U.S. In my area most of the riding areas are lost to development both residentual and commercial. We either have to travel an hour or 2 to find legal places to ride or take you chances and ride and hope you don't get caught.

Ray
Old 08-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #3009
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Bike stalling

not sure why, but my xr650l started stalling when coming to stoplights on my way to work today. The bike would go from operating engine speed down to idle then stall. But when restarted it would idle. I will see what it does on the way home. Any Ideas
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #3010
McLeod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
not sure why, but my xr650l started stalling when coming to stoplights on my way to work today. The bike would go from operating engine speed down to idle then stall. But when restarted it would idle. I will see what it does on the way home. Any Ideas
When was the last time you checked your air cleaner. I know my xr would get a little cranky after a couple weekends of riding trails.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #3011
EpHu
TRX-Rider

truck6driver, Russia is a very big country (accordingly, in different parts of the country the situation is different.). But usually we have not any problems with off-road.
I should say that the soil here is very marshland and many motorcyclists prefere 250ccm enduro as easier.

As a matter of fact, the photo above was made in three days of road from my city (approx 1600 miles) :)
That's why my favotite enduro is 650ccm ) (Great XR650L!)
Old 08-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #3012
doughy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555

Mine has been doing that for a while now. I can't figure it out... I either have to idle high, or just be ready for it. New air filter too..... (foam). It's almost like when the engine is reving down it goes to fast and dies out.. I hate it. I am worried if I am off slab and in a precarious posistion and it does this. Sometimes it "pop stalls" when I give it gas too. It's idling fine then go to twist the right hand and it just stalls.... If you figure it out PLEASE TELL ME!!!

Mine is an 08

Until you come close to death, you really never know how or what it is to live.

Is it an adventure to find oneself, or is it destiny......
doughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #3013
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy
Mine has been doing that for a while now. I can't figure it out... I either have to idle high, or just be ready for it. New air filter too..... (foam). It's almost like when the engine is reving down it goes to fast and dies out.. I hate it. I am worried if I am off slab and in a precarious posistion and it does this. Sometimes it "pop stalls" when I give it gas too. It's idling fine then go to twist the right hand and it just stalls.... If you figure it out PLEASE TELL ME!!!

Mine is an 08
I think it's running lean. Mine used to do it a lot and when I turned the idle up it helped a great deal. I still get it occasionally, but I need to adjust the mixture screw and/or get a bigger pilot jet.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #3014
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
The pop-stall is classic stock-XRL behavior, or lean idle mixture in general.

If they are running E10 gasohol where you guys are, that'll make it worse.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #3015
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughy

Mine is an 08

This is what mine was doing almost to a tee (not when giving it gas though, no hesitation there). It has a dyno jet kit with a freshly cleaned uni-filter(for further info). Oddly enough on my trip home from work that day it was not doing it. But I should note that when it start doing it was right after I filled up with 10% ethanol fuel. Well its a mystery to me, but if it starts doing it again, I will have to dig deeper.

With your 08 look into jets and removing the smog stuff, if you haven't already. Smog removal cleans up the engine area of the bike (runs a little better too), and (at the very least) slightly larger jets let the engine run cooler, and with the high flow foam air filter and stock jets your bike maybe way too lean! Big jets with other mods = power
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote