Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #33976
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
OK... because i've NEVER gotten this worked out in my mind help me please....

XR600R countershaft (w/kicker) and the rest of the XRL cogs, what does that get me? and then what if: XRR counter with XRR first, rest XRL gears with NX 5th and 15/45?

Forgive me, I'm REALLY dense about this particular part.
You lose the gap between 1st and 2nd gear by adding the XR600R first. If you opt for the NX 2nd gear, you will still have a gap, but it will have moved to the 2-3 instead of 1-2. By using an XR600R 1st gear, your 1st gear will be taller than it was with with the XRL 1st, so you have to run something like 14/48 sprockets in order to make it trailable. The taller 5th gear would give you back some of the topend that you will lose with the 14/48 set-up. If you don't ride much off-road... leave it alone and be happy.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #33977
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I prefer working on my bike much more than my car...

switching suspension links on the bike took about 5 minutes

Trying to change sway bar link on the car has just been a lot of busted knuckles today

who thought allen hex on the threaded end of a bolt was a good idea, especially in 12 years of NE salt winters

gonna have to buy a grinder tomorrow to get it off...
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #33978
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
I like the idea of two teeth taller. First off, most people that would be interested in a tall OD like that would already have alot lower of a final drive so you would effectively end up with roughly the same effective final drive ratio as OEM if one were to go down a tooth in the front and up a couple three in the rear.

Additionally, since you have to rip the engine apart anyway when doing the 5th gear, most will at least add an over bore. I honestly think 2 teeth version is a wonderful thing. Then the XR would have a gear spread wider than even the Husky TE610.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #33979
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
...I just hope my piggy is back to her normal reliable self now. I rely on her too much not to be able to trust her and I go out of my way to make her more of what I want so we both last longer .

-Barron
I hope you turned the corner on your bike problems, Barron. The idiot who threw a brick at you will receive justice in the hearafter.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #33980
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Speaking of 5th gears , Looks like they might be reaching me this week.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #33981
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+ 1!!! I'm ready!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #33982
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,196
When you guys go in there I strongly recommend having Steve's how to build a XR650L motor thread close by, it helped me LOTS!

-Barron
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #33983
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Just ordered a pair.

Thanks for the order. Be sure to post your thoughts on the subframe support arms and any install tips and tricks you might figure out. It's a pretty straight forward installation but you might see something that may make it easier for the next guy.

Kev
Old 10-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #33984
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
XR650L Sub-Frame Support Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Just ordered a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Umm, what is that?
They are subframe support arms for the XR60L (ail years). As you may know the subframe on this bike is notorious for being soft and cracking under load. It is a hard item to show installed but here we go.....

More information HERE

Kev
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #33985
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,339
Mr Wizard, you obviously have put a lot of thought and effort into our beloved XR's. My question if you don't mind is what is your thoughts on the Shell Rotilla 5w-40 synthetic oil as a good oil for the XR-L? I'm not trying to start an oil thread, I'm using it because it has worked well in several other bikes I've owned. However if it's not the the right choice I'd value your insight.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #33986
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I like the idea of two teeth taller. First off, most people that would be interested in a tall OD like that would already have alot lower of a final drive so you would effectively end up with roughly the same effective final drive ratio as OEM if one were to go down a tooth in the front and up a couple three in the rear.

Additionally, since you have to rip the engine apart anyway when doing the 5th gear, most will at least add an over bore. I honestly think 2 teeth version is a wonderful thing. Then the XR would have a gear spread wider than even the Husky TE610.
Not sure that the motor would have the juice to pull a +2 tooth 5th gear. Imagine having to keep kicking down to 4th when the road's not perfectly flat or you have a head wind. The space between 4 and 5would not be quite a jump too so the downshift could be brutal.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #33987
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Not sure that the motor would have the juice to pull a +2 tooth 5th gear. Imagine having to keep kicking down to 4th when the road's not perfectly flat or you have a head wind. The space between 4 and 5would not be quite a jump too so the downshift could be brutal.
I agree all the way. With a slightly modded motor (as simple as Daves' carburetor mod', foam air filter and exhaust) the NX 2nd and 5th gears will pull 15/48 0r 15/45 gearing just fine. It will net you with tons of low end and easy cruising up to the 75-85 mph range.... I am just guessing, but an extra tooth on the nx650 5th would put a strain on the motor causing it to bog.

These motors stay happy on "top" of rev's in lieu of bogging where the motor "hops" with each revolution. This hop is like a hammer banging on everything. Don't be afraid to let it rev!!!!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #33988
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
They are subframe support arms for the XR60L (ail years). As you may know the subframe on this bike is notorious for being soft and cracking under load. It is a hard item to show installed but here we go.....

More information HERE

Kev
When they were first shown here, I couldn't imagine how they would mount and thought they looked flimsy. Your pic helps a lot. The way you have them mounted shows they will provide support but still alow some frame flex.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #33989
duckrogers666
Formerly Flying Cow

Oddometer: 40
Hey y'all,

Need some advice please! A couple of weeks ago I took off for a 3 day ride to Fandango Valley in south central Oregon. Beautiful area to ride!

20 minutes after that pic was taken I suffered a flat front. I And of course I wasn't carrying a spare tube nor a patch kit. My riding buddy did have a bottle of slime......

....but no worky!!!!! While I was trying to pump air into the front my buddy notices this on the rear wheel...

Crap!!!! Ended up riding 120 miles back to our camp site in La Pine on the flat front, all dirt roads except for the last 15 miles. Wound up having to replace the tube (of course), the rim lock, the rim strip and the tire. Also had to have the wheel trued up. It had some big WOW's in it from some rock hits!

Front wheel is all back together and now dealing with the broken spoke on the rear wheel...

I bought an Excel spoke kit but didn't think about the nipple size being wrong. So the advice needed is this;

1. Do I send the Excel kit back and get OEM?

2. Do I buy OEM nipples and use the Excel spokes?

3. Do I drill out the holes in the rim for the Excel nipples?

Thanks y'all!

"...listen mister, you better not forget what you don't know!" ex-girlfriend
duckrogers666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #33990
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
With a stock motor I can just about guarantee you that it won't pull that gear. I tried 15/40 gearing for the highway which is what that gear would effectively do and well, two days after I rode it I ordered a 42 tooth rear and has been great... until I put in the new 5th to get the umpf back in 123 and 4. My .02.

-Barron