Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #34036
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevildogLt View Post
I know talking about engine oil is like debating tires and such and has been done a million times but I have one more.

I am in Okinawa, Japan and not too many places are willing to ship lubricants etc here. Dennis Kirk will though. Any recommendations for what oil to buy from them so I can get it shipped to me? I have a 2001 XRL with 5k miles on her.

Thanks.

DDLT
ship oil? really? Like steve says THIS ISNT NASA!

15-40 dino deisel oil works great
20-50 dino oil when its really hot

synthetic 5-40 of your fancy
redline
honda oil at the dealer

walmart gtx

whatever floats your boat just keep it topped off

SHIPPING OIL? Whats next gas?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #34037
DevildogLt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
oil

You obviously haven't seen that the Japanese Yen is currently at it's highest "post war" (WWII) value compared to the dollar. $hits expensive here!

I get free shipping over a hundred bucks from Dennis Kirk and so when I am at 98 bucks with buying a new Dunlop 606 rear and 2 filters I need something to put me over the top for the free shipping. Oil it is.

Thanks for the help guys.

DDLT

p.s. Before I moved to Oki everyone said to wait to get a bike there. All I could find were 250s/400s. I found one XR650L. It was a 2002 with 10,000 km on it and they want 650,000Y for it. That was almost 7 grand at the time!!! for a 2002!!! So I bought an 01 off Craigslist for $2,800 and had it sent over. "Homie dont play dat!"
DevildogLt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #34038
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

awesome!

you get free shipping on international orders? what about import duties? taxes?

if you dont get any of that then cheers to you...

I could only imagine importing oil to el salvador and see the looks on everyones faces...not to mention the taxes, import duties and hassle...

good luck
Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #34039
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
If its anything like being stationed in Europe, he tax exempt. In Germany oil is uber expensive. Once my wife's co workers found out she was dating an American, all they wanted was as much oil as they could get. At over 20 bucks a quart, and that is the cheap shit, I am not surprised. I paid over 20 Euros for one liter of full syn at a gas station in 2007. Exchange rate is about 1.40 dollars to a Euro.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #34040
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
All I know Mike is that the goobermint passed a law saying that ZDDP had to be lowered to pass emissions on diesel trucks and cars.
If you look at the new rotella it's levels of ZDDP have dropped big time.
I believe that the Triple protection Rotella 15-40 has dropped the ZDDP content from 1400 ppm to 1200 ppm. Most 30wt oils are down to 800 ppm. The Rottela still seems to be widely accepted for use in flat tappet motors. And is recommended by many for break in of these motors before going to synthetics.

Discussions of motor oils makes my head spin. It is hard to figure out how much difference it really makes with all of the reports from different experts. I have no idea what is the best. I read an article by an oil chemist that is a motorcycle rider many years ago. He indicated that there was many good oils for motorcycles. One of his favorites was the Rottela T. That was good enough for me and I started using it. I am just like the guy that jumped out of the ten story building. At each floor he passed you could hear him say."So far, so good."

What do you reccomend? You know more about motors than I ever will.

Mike
Old 10-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #34041
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevildogLt View Post
You obviously haven't seen that the Japanese Yen is currently at it's highest "post war" (WWII) value compared to the dollar. $hits expensive here!

I get free shipping over a hundred bucks from Dennis Kirk and so when I am at 98 bucks with buying a new Dunlop 606 rear and 2 filters I need something to put me over the top for the free shipping. Oil it is.

Thanks for the help guys.

DDLT

p.s. Before I moved to Oki everyone said to wait to get a bike there. All I could find were 250s/400s. I found one XR650L. It was a 2002 with 10,000 km on it and they want 650,000Y for it. That was almost 7 grand at the time!!! for a 2002!!! So I bought an 01 off Craigslist for $2,800 and had it sent over. "Homie dont play dat!"
You should be able to buy oil that will work just fine at the exchange gas station at prices pretty close to what you pay here in the states. I was stationed at Camp Zama for five years and found very few things that I could not pick up on post at either Zama, Yokota or Yokusuka. You are within an easy drive/ride of Kadena AB (everywhere on Oki is) and they have the Taj Majal of exchanges. Young Marines and Airmen love their motorcycles so I can't imagine that they dont carry bike friendly oil. Besides... it'll give you an excuse to stop at the A&W on the way!
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:27 AM   #34042
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
you get free shipping on international orders? what about import duties? taxes?

if you dont get any of that then cheers to you...

I could only imagine importing oil to el salvador and see the looks on everyones faces...not to mention the taxes, import duties and hassle...

good luck
If you ship to an address in town, it goes through the normal channels and is expensive, but if you ship to the APO/FPO on post it is the same as shipping to California.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #34043
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

yeah thats cool. no taxes...I forgot that servicemen and women are tax exempt thats cool for him

just thought that for any other situation, shipping oil is hilarious! jajaja

cheers dudes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #34044
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Monday funny!

http://imgur.com/6icZ3
Old 10-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #34045
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #34046
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post

IdahoXR coming up the creek. (Video... click the picture)
Cool..........that`s my kinda trail......makes it interesting,,,i`m getting to like really technical trails...i`d love to show you the one i found this summer,,the guy i brought with me was lauging his butt off,,and sweating like a pig at the end,he loved it..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #34047
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #34048
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I was able to put a 100 miles on my bone stock L. She has 606's front and rear no mods to the forks, Max speed I can get out of her is 80. Above 75 the front end is squirley, Like I am sitting way back on the seat. I am 6'6" 270 and I sit all over the seat but got no change out of the front end being squirley. The front tire has 28 lbs of air in it.

I am a month or two before I can get her resprung for my wide butt, any thoughts on what might be going on?

I am waiting for a pipe before I rip the box apart, I have a Uni that I will install at that time.
I've noticed that mounting the toolkit on the front fender helps stabilize the front on mine at speed. The weight seems to help dampen front end movement, kinda like the stabilizers bowhunters put on their bows.

I'd also make sure the wheels are true & spokes are tensioned correctly.

You gonna be mucho more happy-o when you get the Uni/pipe/jetting sorted out.
Dv
Old 10-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #34049
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_n View Post
I've noticed that mounting the toolkit on the front fender helps stabilize the front on mine at speed. The weight seems to help dampen front end movement, kinda like the stabilizers bowhunters put on their bows.

I'd also make sure the wheels are true & spokes are tensioned correctly.

You gonna be mucho more happy-o when you get the Uni/pipe/jetting sorted out.
Dv
This week I am busy changing out the 15t for a 14t and installing the risers and new bars. This weekend JL class in NV. Next week start working the front end, drop the forks a 1/4" or so, get a tool kit for the front fender then decide if I go work the motor and exhaust or work the suspension.

And I need to start looking for a taller seat. When I pull the trigger I will have a stock seat foam and cover to offer up to the asylum.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #34050
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,620
Here is a video of me doing my first hare scramble. I didnt really know what to expect so I brought my XRL with street tires. Boy what a bad idea that was. For those of you that dont know, a hare scramble is a race with around 150 bikes through the tightest trails you can possibly imagine. 99% of the bikes in my class were 250 2 strokes. I saw maybe 3 other head lights and only 1 other plate.

So here is a video of me and my XR getting our asses kicked.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote