Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #34051
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
Here is a video of me doing my first hare scramble. I didnt really know what to expect so I brought my XRL with street tires. Boy what a bad idea that was. For those of you that dont know, a hare scramble is a race with around 150 bikes through the tightest trails you can possibly imagine. 99% of the bikes in my class were 250 2 strokes. I saw maybe 3 other head lights and only 1 other plate.

So here is a video of me and my XR getting our asses kicked.

sounds like a pig onking all over the track, it never really hit me like that , but it is a pig for sure
Old 10-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #34052
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Cool..........that`s my kinda trail......makes it interesting,,,i`m getting to like really technical trails...i`d love to show you the one i found this summer,,the guy i brought with me was lauging his butt off,,and sweating like a pig at the end,he loved it..

B
I should have taken more pictures of the nasty sections of the trail... I was rather preoccupied though trying to keep the pig and me from taking a bath. Teetering on the rocks with one toe barely touching a rock is NOT a happy place to be. 300 pounds of pig would be fun trying to get off of yourself if she decided to pummel you!

I am still amazed at how much the trail has changed over the past 25-30 years. If I would have seen a video of it in its current condition I would have never recognized it. The wise arses that we encountered at the bottom found our choice of bikes for the adventure "curious" Of course they were all on motocross bikes. The upside was when we were following them out and they would stall.... kick, kick, kick... cuss... sweat... kick, kick, kick... braaap. The button was nice!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #34053
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post

sounds like a pig onking all over the track, it never really hit me like that , but it is a pig for sure

......that had to hurt..

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #34054
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
......that had to hurt..
ya how dare him to do that to the poor little piggy , he should be ashamed , he never once thought of how did the big ugly pig feel , shame
i say a fresh tank of the good gas is in order , and lets just hope your little piggy forgives U MAN
Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #34055
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,822
Quote:

That's like bringing a butter knife to a gun fight. Definitely the wrong tool for the job at hand. But good for you for trying. Go pig, go...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #34056
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Here is a video of me doing my first hare scramble. I didnt really know what to expect so I brought my XRL with street tires. Boy what a bad idea that was. For those of you that dont know, a hare scramble is a race with around 150 bikes through the tightest trails you can possibly imagine. 99% of the bikes in my class were 250 2 strokes. I saw maybe 3 other head lights and only 1 other plate.

You sir......are one crazy mofo.........street tires,,,,,,,350 pound pig,,,and trying to race.........freekin cool.. but still,you are a crazy mofo..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #34057
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,462
Man in the Arena

One of our greatest presidents, Theodore Roosevelt said,

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

You did well. On the other hand there was a friend of mine who, in 1967, rode his 1965 XLCH Sportster to a TT/Scrambles event, took off the headlight and mufflers and proceeded to try to herd THAT pig around the track against race-prepped Triumphs, BSAs and Nortons. He (all 5'7" / 140 lbs) received a serious ass-whuppin'. You at least appear to have held your own.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #34058
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
......that had to hurt..
Pm you abouth a camshaft

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #34059
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
A+ for effort on that Hare Scrambles. Put on some knobbies, go back & kick some ass. You will be using those Yammies & KTM's for traction
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #34060
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Steve, I have a brand new seat,2005 model with 1090 miles on it. Happy to swap for the Renasco + some green to you.

New steed.

Nice new bike

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #34061
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick View Post
Nice new bike
Thanks, you will be seeing it before long. I need to change the suspension to match my big butt!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #34062
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,591

Thanks for the laughs gentlemen. I was technically on knobbies but not good ones for this kinda of thing. Ive got the Michelin TE60 something or others that have maybe 30% knob left. It really was the hardest thing Ive ever done. I ended up completing 1 full lap. Took me about 50 minutes to do 6 miles. Id go about 2 blocks and have to stop for water, leg stretches, and just take a rest. My body was in so much pain. The bike held up great. Couple scratches on the bark busters but other than that the pig held his own I guess. Planning another race next weekend but I wont be riding big red

Im going to take my XT350 out there with full dirt knobbies. I think between the weight, shorter bar length and just overall size, Ill have a much better shot completing 2 laps
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #34063
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,323
Quote:

Thanks for the laughs gentlemen. I was technically on knobbies but not good ones for this kinda of thing. Ive got the Michelin TE60 something or others that have maybe 30% knob left. It really was the hardest thing Ive ever done. I ended up completing 1 full lap. Took me about 50 minutes to do 6 miles. Id go about 2 blocks and have to stop for water, leg stretches, and just take a rest. My body was in so much pain. The bike held up great. Couple scratches on the bark busters but other than that the pig held his own I guess. Planning another race next weekend but I wont be riding big red

Im going to take my XT350 out there with full dirt knobbies. I think between the weight, shorter bar length and just overall size, Ill have a much better shot completing 2 laps

Damn DAAANG, some them Trails I couldnt get through if I turned sideways and sucked it in.

Nice Run , They prolly would have had to call an EMT out on a Cardiac Arrest for me.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #34064
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 713
Horror show!!!

This seems appropriate for Halloween. I took these first 4 pictures in Flagstaff, AZ in the parking lot of the Honda dealer after coming from the Glamis dunes. This is what happened within 2 days of riding (and crashing) the dunes. Now my engine is in need of some serious love. I haven't opened it up yet to take a look, but it smokes when I rev it (not a big surprise considering how much sand it ate). This is a UNI filter. There was plenty of sand on the metal mesh filter frame, indicating to me that the sand made it through the foam. What do you guys think about this?

Yes, that's sand in the carb. It was everywhere except the float bowl- on top of the diaphragm, in the choke port, everywhere. So sad... the bike was in mint condition before the dunes.

At least it was fun, although extremely difficult- this is the bowl section above Oldsmobile Hill:

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #34065
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
This seems appropriate for Halloween. I took these first 4 pictures in Flagstaff, AZ in the parking lot of the Honda dealer after coming from the Glamis dunes. This is what happened within 2 days of riding (and crashing) the dunes. Now my engine is in need of some serious love. I haven't opened it up yet to take a look, but it smokes when I rev it (not a big surprise considering how much sand it ate). This is a UNI filter. There was plenty of sand on the metal mesh filter frame, indicating to me that the sand made it through the foam. What do you guys think about this?

Yes, that's sand in the carb. It was everywhere except the float bowl- on top of the diaphragm, in the choke port, everywhere. So sad... the bike was in mint condition before the dunes.

At least it was fun, although extremely difficult- this is the bowl section above Oldsmobile Hill:

This is the scariest damn thing I have seen all night! It almost looks like you were throwing handfuls of sand inside the airbox as you were riding It looks like you have some sealing issues around the edges. I don't think even a Uni that's not oiled properly would let this much in. On my Uni, I have noticed some fine dust residue on the plastic after the filter. I use plenty of oil on the foam, as well as a fairly thick bead of grease on the edge. Kind of makes me wonder if the design is all that great. I am going to stick with Uni for now, but watch it closely. At least with OEM, you know the seal is good.
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote