Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #34081
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
This week I am busy changing out the 15t for a 14t and installing the risers and new bars. This weekend JL class in NV. Next week start working the front end, drop the forks a 1/4" or so, get a tool kit for the front fender then decide if I go work the motor and exhaust or work the suspension.

And I need to start looking for a taller seat. When I pull the trigger I will have a stock seat foam and cover to offer up to the asylum.
What happened with that other XR-L that was already set up with forks, tank, seat, light and everything else?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #34082
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender View Post
What happened with that other XR-L that was already set up with forks, tank, seat, light and everything else?

I changed my mind and went bone stock so that I could farkle the way that I wanted. The bad press that Hot cams were getting pushed me over the edge. I am a slow rider that is looking for a bike that will always start adn always take me to the fire roads that I want to visit. I could always do single track with the bike, I have just realized that I much raher ride all day seeing new sights being relaxed rather than beating my self to death on a knarly single track.

The bike is a good deal, it is just not the right bike for me.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #34083
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I'm impressed!
The dude is one tuff son of o gun.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #34084
duckrogers666
Formerly Flying Cow

Oddometer: 40
Hi y'all!

Spud and elsalvadorklr, thanks for the info on Buchanan's spokes. I noticed that they have 3 different kits for sale, stainless nipples, blue zinc plated steel nipples and aluminum nipples. Which kit did y'all go for?

"...listen mister, you better not forget what you don't know!" ex-girlfriend
duckrogers666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #34085
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Cow View Post
Hi y'all!

Spud and elsalvadorklr, thanks for the info on Buchanan's spokes. I noticed that they have 3 different kits for sale, stainless nipples, blue zinc plated steel nipples and aluminum nipples. Which kit did y'all go for?
I did it the easy way. Shipped the wheels to:
Dave Moore Wheel Service
(760) 240-3543
9383 Buena Vista Street
Apple Vally, Calf. 92308
$150 per wheel. SS spokes and nipples. return freight included. It cost me $35 to ship from Houston.

Here they are ready to go back on the bike :
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #34086
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Dunlpop 908 RR rear update

Stick a fork in it, it's dead at a WHOPPING 7171 miles!!!! Could have gone a bit further but rubber starting to crack at base of knobs. Current price for this tire $150 from AMT.

The 908 was an excelent tire. Good on and off road. It went to the high passes of Co.,the Big Bend of Texas, all throught the Sam Houston Forest, up and down the beaches, and all highways inbetween. Zero flats.

Put a Metzler Karoo on. Rides great, super grip on the road, but the guys in QC need to tighten up a bit:
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #34087
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Stick a fork in it, it's dead at a WHOPPING 7171 miles!!!! Could have gone a bit further but rubber starting to crack at base of knobs. Current price for this tire $150 from AMT.

The 908 was an excelent tire. Good on and off road. It went to the high passes of Co.,the Big Bend of Texas, all throught the Sam Houston Forest, up and down the beaches, and all highways inbetween. Zero flats.
Thanks for the update- that's a lot of miles per $$, good value.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #34088
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
Here is a video of me doing my first hare scramble. I didnt really know what to expect so I brought my XRL with street tires. Boy what a bad idea that was. For those of you that dont know, a hare scramble is a race with around 150 bikes through the tightest trails you can possibly imagine. 99% of the bikes in my class were 250 2 strokes. I saw maybe 3 other head lights and only 1 other plate.

So here is a video of me and my XR getting our asses kicked.
That is AWESOME!!!! I did about the same thing in 1994, but I was around 30 years old and in good shape. After the first hare-scramble, I took off the mirrors, license plate, dash blinkers, etc. and raced again and fell in love with racing.... For the next 3 years or so I raced as often as I could, all on the "L". I ended up playing with tires, the gearing, suspension, etc... I ended up grafting on WP (white Power) 4054 forks and a CR front wheel, bought an Ohlins shock and stayed with it. On the off weeks I would drive or ride all over Texas and eventually Mexico, logging tens of thousands of miles... I rebuilt the original motor probably 6 times.

I actually just bought that motor back and CW now has it!!! Kyle racing has my original Ohlins shock and is rebuilding it to go on the 6th "L"... It's hard to believe that I am still LOVING the same bike close to 20 years later. I am glad they are still making the bike, in lieu of ditching it, but Damn I'd like a lighter, better version!!!!

DAAAANG, thanks for bringing back some VERY fond memories and congrats on the race. You are a trooper for sure!!!! My highest respects sent your way!

Wattner screwed with this post 11-01-2011 at 07:16 PM
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #34089
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Why not the 908 again?

Quote:

Put a Metzler Karoo on. Rides great, super grip on the road, but the guys in QC need to tighten up a bit:

I've been planning to put the 908 on my xrl,,, why you putting on a Karoo this time?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #34090
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:

Hey Fritzcoinc,

Impressive tire life there! I'll give one a whirl soon! Would you go with the 908 or Karoo again? I like the Mefo's that I am using, but they are not aggressive enough off road... With over 7k and an aggressive (well, more so than the Mefo anyway) tread, I am in for a try!

Thanks for sharing that!

That Karoo looks good, but with the spacing between the center knobs, is it a little buzzy at speed on roads?
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #34091
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Hi y'all!

I went all stainless...

blue zinc is the equivalent of oem nipples for most jap bikes...thats what I bought when I had my old cb750 and went with stock look.

the front spokes that were rebranded buchanan spokes are thicker gage than oem...Cant remember if oem is 8 or 9.

The rears are stock size...

all stainless

good luck!

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #34092
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Hey Fritzcoinc,

Impressive tire life there! I'll give one a whirl soon! Would you go with the 908 or Karoo again? I like the Mefo's that I am using, but they are not aggressive enough off road... With over 7k and an aggressive (well, more so than the Mefo anyway) tread, I am in for a try!

Thanks for sharing that!

That Karoo looks good, but with the spacing between the center knobs, is it a little buzzy at speed on roads?
FRTIZCO!

How on earth do you get 7000miles out of a rear knobby? I really want to know...Im serious

DO YOU RIDE ON MARSHMELLOWS?

WOW!

My t63 is going to last at the most 2000miles..iva already lost good traction...and Im just under 1000.

I had a mce karoo on my KLR and that thing lasted even less...but the klr is a pig...

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #34093
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Hi y'all!

You're welcome. I prefer the stainless steel, spoke nipples.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #34094
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
I think that picture is a fake. I thought that when I first saw it years ago. Scot Summers is a beast make no mistake, but what man can hoist 300lbs. of bike like that all while smiling?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #34095
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Hi y'all!

He said nipples three times
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote