Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #34111
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Hey Mike,

How is the front? Or, are you running one? I have been using the MotoZ and really like it, but it is not D.O.T. (which I don't care one bit about...) or always in stock.

I would like an aggressive front that has decent wear. I don't mind trading the front often, I just want grip!

Thanks!
I have had the front on for about 1000 miles. I bought this tire because it is the DOT version of the dirt tire I used on my desert bikes back in the 80's. The dirt tire was excellent on hard pack and it is the only tire I would run. This tire seems to work pretty good for me. But I don't push it near as hard as I did 30 years ago. I think the tire would work better on a slightly wider rim. On the narrower rims the crown is a little sharper and for me it seems to feel like they wander a little in a straight line (didn't notice it on pavement). Once the bike is titled it seems to grip well. I have not had it push on me. But remember I am too old and too slow, so I may not be the guy to ask
I have not installed the rear tires yet and have no idea how long they will last. But if they hook up well and last as long as the Kenda 760, that will work for me. I have tried wider tires on the L but the stock rim is not wide enough for the tire to work properly and IMO there is not enough of an increase in the foot print to make the extra unsprung weight worth going to a 140. I ran a 140 MT21 for a while and I hated it. I bought a second set of rims and went with stock sizes. If I had it over to do again I would go with a wider rim on the front and rear. My old TT600 has wider rims and there is a big difference on how well the bike handles with the same tires.

Mike
Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #34112
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
908 info

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Well, I like to keep looking for something better. I wanted the new Unicross rear, but nobody has them yet. I put a Metzler Unicross front on the XR about 1000 miles or so before the 908 rear died and it is a very good tire. On my bike it is more stable, no head shake, than any other tire I have tried. So you may ask " why the Unicross front and not the 908", well the 908 front is sorry.

This is wierd, I put two 908 fronts on in the 7100 miles the 908 rear was on the bike and then Metzler??????? Wear life for the 908 fronts was about 2800 miles or so ????? So of course that leads me to say, the 908 front sucks but only because of sorry wear. So far the Metzlers are pretty good to excellent on the street, no dirt data yet, handling is sure, very planted feel. The 908's were too but felt harder on pavement. Both are very quiet. The 908 is a little smoother riding due to the Chevy logo lug pattern ( less lug gap at tire centerline ).

I have 908"s fnt and rear on my Husky too. So far this bike with it's cush rear hub and spring loaded clutch hub has proven to get much better tire life than the metal on metal XRL. Before the 908's I had the Pirelli XCMH on both these bikes. Good tires but the front had head shake above 70 mph on both bikes. Tire life for both tires on the XR was 2500 or so ( LOOSER ), but those same tires on the Husky lasted twice that???? We will see how the 908"s live on the Husky.

PS: I sheared the valve stem from my front tube on the Husky. I rode the 908 airless about 20 miles to get home and you wouldn't know it to look at the tire. One tough SOB in that regard.
Thanks fritz
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #34113
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
motoz in ceratin size tractionator is now dot
SWEETTTTT!!!!!!! I knew they were supposedly heading in that direction but the last batch were not... Really glad to hear it! The tires are 100% rubber and they work great and last good as well
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #34114
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,770
Quote:
SWEETTTTT!!!!!!! I knew they were supposedly heading in that direction but the last batch were not... Really glad to hear it! The tires are 100% rubber and they work great and last good as well

http://www.brapoffroad.com/motoz/tra...or-enduro-i/t/
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #34115
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I was just on that site and saw the 21" D.O.T. tire is out of stock.... BUMMER!

I'll keep watching and jump on one when they are back in stock.

Luckily, all of my bikes have fresh rubber!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #34116
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,770
The guy that owns or works there is real nice cant think of his name but if you call he will talk your ear off and sell you something..Probably tell you when to expect them too
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #34117
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Oddometer: 1,878
And she's sold...

It's been a great run. thanks for all the help, advice and meeting so many of you.

I'll stop by from time to time, be safe and enjoy.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #34118
skirecs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
bike smelling a bit like a chainsaw...

need a hone and new rings?
skirecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #34119
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
And she's sold...

It's been a great run. thanks for all the help, advice and meeting so many of you.

I'll stop by from time to time, be safe and enjoy.
Hey Man i thought the bike was going not you, whats up with that brotha!!! are you going to get a KLR or a KTM and be too good for us
Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #34120
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Hey Man i thought the bike was going not you, whats up with that brotha!!! are you going to get a KLR or a KTM and be too good for us
psht. if he did that it would be the other way around. WE would be outta HIS league.

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #34121
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
psht. if he did that it would be the other way around. WE would be outta HIS league.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #34122
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
My new Acerbis 5.5 was waiting for me at the door tonight!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #34123
Bbasso
my name is Rob

If I keep seeing all the pics of XRLs I might regret my decision.... so less time here = better mental health LOL!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #34124
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
If I keep seeing all the pics of XRLs I might regret my decision.... so less time here = better mental health LOL!!!

Stay in touch Rob!!!!! Call me in the am. I may need some help

Later bro!!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #34125
Bbasso
my name is Rob

Quote:
Stay in touch Rob!!!!! Call me in the am. I may need some help

Later bro!!!!
Need some help?
but if it's easier for you, call me when you have time... I'm always able to answer the phone.