User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #34216
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,145
Cee Bailey's

Not too long ago I put a Cee Bailey's windscreen on my bike and it was sweet, then it was destroyed when it was struck by a brick thrown by some waste of life in a white pick up truck. It could have severely injured me or worse. Since I had the screen all I got was a bruise and another reason to hate people.

Well, I sent Cee Bailey's an email telling them what happened and asking them if they could cut me a break on another screen to replace the original with.

The only question they asked was "Are you still at the same address?" and today when I got home...

SWEET!

These guys rock!

The bruise is about gone, I have a reason not to hate people and guys that do things like that dude did to me get what's coming to them, hopefully in a prison shower. All is right with the world again.

-Barron
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #34217
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I see that Emig racing now makes a triple that accepts the stock ignition and speedo. I think it's fairly new. I bought a stem from him which makes the whole process pretty bolt on. I am now using the Trail Tech Voyager which is a nice digital speedo.

The Emig conversion triples and stem are $575.00. The RSW Racing clamps that use the OE stem are $350.00.

Just a little bit of difference here. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #34218
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I'm just one of those discontented old farts that's never satisfied with anything, particularly my XR650L's front brake. The 320mm supermoto discs are cool but I think that they're over-kill on an off-road bike. Not much else out there between the stock 256mm rotor and the supermoto 320mm rotor that fits the stock wheel - except for what's on the XRV750 Africa Twin.

276mm in diameter and 4.5mm thick, it bolts right on with the stock bolts.

I'm in the middle of cobbling up an adapter for a DL1000 2 piston caliper so I don't have anything else to show right now, but I'll do a complete how-to thread once it's done and tested. If this has already been done and has proven to be a failure please speak up and save me some grief.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #34219
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
XR600 side panels

Hi all,

I am looking at doing a battery relocation and am starting to source the parts. I am looking at getting the xr600 side panels and I was just wondering if any knows if the XR600 panels will fit the XR without having to do any modifications. I would like it to be a plug and play. I have been looking at the UFO 1988-2002 XR600R side panels.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #34220
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Hi all,

I am looking at doing a battery relocation and am starting to source the parts. I am looking at getting the xr600 side panels and I was just wondering if any knows if the XR600 panels will fit the XR without having to do any modifications. I would like it to be a plug and play. I have been looking at the UFO 1988-2002 XR600R side panels.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

The panels will fit with one exception. On the left panel the rear most fastener has an extension for the XRL panel to clear the battery box. You will need to remove it for the flat panel to fit properly. No worries though as the air box is fitted with the correct part for the fastener to engage with. The extension is riveted on.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #34221
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I see that Emig racing now makes a triple that accepts the stock ignition and speedo. I think it's fairly new. I bought a stem from him which makes the whole process pretty bolt on. I am now using the Trail Tech Voyager which is a nice digital speedo.
and expensive...
I did my swap fairly conservatively.. my bike sucks up the jumps and bumps so nicely now. The spring rate of the stock CRF450R forks is perfect for me
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...262&highlight=

I did my swaps for about $450 each, before selling any stock parts to offset cost

I ditched the stock ignition and speedo. a disc brake lock is more secure than the cheesy xrl ignition IMO. I could jumper one in about a minute flat
\
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #34222
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Depends on the type of off roading. I came off a WR450 and the XRL is really soft compared to that. The good thing about that is it doesn't beat the crap out of you in the rough stuff (like rocks, baby head type rocks). What that soft suspension doesn't like though is being jumped or rode hard through woops, or comping off of fairly tall drop offs :)
This is true. While I love the CRF forks, conventional forks, for a variety of reasons, have less stiction and are more plush in the initial part of the stroke. For riding over rocks, and the like they are hard to beat. It's when you start riding the bike speed over nasty stuff that the real difference is felt.

On a non off-road note, my bike steers WAY more precisely on the street with the inverted set-up. The stock forks don't hold a line and give the same sort of feedback. If you think this isn't true you haven't ridden both back to back.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #34223
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
and expensive...
I did my swap fairly conservatively.. my bike sucks up the jumps and bumps so nicely now. The spring rate of the stock CRF450R forks is perfect for me
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...262&highlight=

I did my swaps for about $450 each, before selling any stock parts to offset cost

I ditched the stock ignition and speedo. a disc brake lock is more secure than the cheesy xrl ignition IMO. I could jumper one in about a minute flat
\
Nice looking bikes. What's the story with those handguards?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #34224
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
CRF conversion question to folks that have done the conversion-

1. I'm around 180lbs and I will not be doing any doubles or triples on any MX track soon. I'm thinking I can use the factory springs {04 CRF450}. Am I thinking right?

2. Rebound and compression damping. Did ya'll get your forks revalved or did the forks have enough adjustability to work with? Remember now, I'm not gonna be racing or anything, just want better damping characteristics than the OEM forks. If the factory valving is way off, could I get "close enough" by changing oil? In other words, if the CRF valving is too stiff,,,,, run lighter oil. If the CRF valving is too light, how about going up in weight? Then, I could fiddle with the adjustments to get it nearer what I want.

3. Height issues. I'm a short sucker. I have the rear lowered with 1.75 inch lowering links and the front clamps are as low as possible {bout an inch} so if the CRF forks are longer,,,,, can I slip the clamps down far enough to get me to where I am now {one inch lower in front}?

4. If the CRF forks are high enough that I will not be able to fix it by lowering the triples I'll have to get them lowered internally and if I do that, I might as well get then valved exactly for my weight and riding style but I would rather not spend that money right now if I don't absolutely have to. On the other hand, I don't want to get then mounted up only to find they are too tall and valved terribly and have to yank them off again.

I'll be running the stock CRF triples with the All Balls bearing conversion bearing {forgot if it's the upper or the lower}.

Just thinking out loud, if I'm barking up the wrong tree let me know.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #34225
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Hi all,

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
As Steve said, you merely need to remove the extension for the rear fastener on the left side plastic. You remove the rear dzus fastener from its extension by drilling out the rivets. Then your remove the extension from the airbox the same way. Finally, you rivet the dzus fastener to the airbox in the same manner as the other two fasteners. You also need to transfer the dzus fasteners from the stock, side plastic to the XR600R side plastic.

To avoid any possible fitment issues, I bought Honda, OEM side plastic. The XR600R side plastic fits perfectly, and is much easier to attach once the battery "suitcase" is out of the way. I used to get angry fiddling with the stock side plastic. I never need more than ten seconds to install the XR600R side plastic.

Incidentally, I am pleased to report my Shorai battery relocation is still working superbly. Therefore, I can continue to recommend this battery relocation without any reservations, whatsover.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666195

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-05-2011 at 01:04 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #34226
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
What that soft suspension doesn't like though is being jumped or rode hard through woops, or comping off of fairly tall drop offs
You mean like this?

That is how we get across the Golden Crack. See, the XR650R is pretty soft too.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #34227
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
You mean like this?

That is how we get across the Golden Crack. See, the XR650R is pretty soft too.
Great pix. I did the CRF conversion on my 2007 650L and sent the rear shock down to Race Tech for a Gold Valve. A short time after I was riding Death Valley at the Noobs Ride. I was riding WOT through the desert between Echo Canyon and Beatty when I came across a wash.

I leaned on both the front and rear brakes, but there was no way I was going to get her stopped. So I gassed it and flew about 10 feet to the far side on the wash. Several other vehicles had made there way across, so the other side was rounded off. I landed flat against the far slope leading out of the wash, fully compressing both the front and rear suspension.

I was one of those landings where you feel the impact in your spine as it flattens you against the bike. I though I was a gonner, but the CRF shocks & Gold Valve combo sucked it up. When I got stopped I jumped off to warn the other riders and check for frame damage. I have no doubt that the newer USD suspension saved my bacon.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #34228
Cumbacheech
XRated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
As Steve said, you merely need to remove the extension for the rear fastener on the left side plastic. You remove the rear dzus fastener from its extension by drilling out the rivets. Then your remove the extension from the airbox the same way. Finally, you rivet the dzus fastener to the airbox in the same manner as the other two fasteners. You also need to transfer the dzus fasteners from the stock, side plastic to the XR600R side plastic.
Spud
Thanks Steve /Spud I thought that it would fit, Just wanted to double check before I place the order.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 11-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #34229
Cumbacheech
XRated

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be selling my Luggage setup. I bought the luggage hoping to make it out for a 1 week camping/riding trip with a couple of buddies that never materialized. I mounted the pelicans and than stored everything away, Never made it out... Everything is in brand new condition. Before I go and post it under the flea market section I figured I would offer it up to the XRL folks first. I paid close to $700 for the whole setup, so I am asking $475 including $25 of shipping (anything over $25 gets added to the price).

The Lugage setup includes:
Happy Trails SU rack
Happy Trails mounting pucks
2 Pelican 1520 cases
all bolts / Hardware, & instruction.

PM me if you are interested. You can see some pics of the setup on my bike. Click on "Adventure setup" under my signature.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Old 11-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #34230
MR HANCOCK
OFF ROAD RIDER

Oddometer: 79
Thumb

hey FLYINGWOMBAT.. great pic's.......helluva shock test.....

look's like utah.???

HONDA XR650L 2007
MR HANCOCK is offline   Reply With Quote