ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #34726
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Idaho_XR's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Turf
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Bad news

Twisted Throttle SW-MOTECH sub-frame support arms only work with a stock muffler.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6887/667/



Also, the bolt that shares the aftermarket muffler and turn signal bolt isn't long enough. I wish I would have noticed that it wouldn't bolt up to the passenger peg before I went to the hardware store to buy a longer bolt.



Upside is they are very stout!! I've read some comments about them crinkling and I would say after having them in my hand, you would have to put a LOT of weight on the back to get them to crinkle. Like can't keep the front wheel down weight.

I plan to send a link to this comment to Twisted Throttle so they will update their product description to say that it only works with the stock muffler. Hopefully, they will consider redesigning that side. I was really looking forward to the reinforcement.
Oh man, that sucks. Thanks for the update though, I was thinking about getting these in the future. Also, thanks for being one of our unofficial guinea pigs. It will be interesting to see what TT does, if anything.
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #34727
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 742
Hi tjrocket. Thanks for confirming the sturdiness of the arms. Sometimes pictures can't tell the story like a true end user like yourself. Sorry for the issue. I will put this in front of the designer right away. It appears to be an FMF pipe - please confirm. Also, if there is more than one pipe option from FMF (or whomever the manufacturer is) let us know that so we can take it off of the application list.

Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Bad news

Twisted Throttle SW-MOTECH sub-frame support arms only work with a stock muffler.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6887/667/



Also, the bolt that shares the aftermarket muffler and turn signal bolt isn't long enough. I wish I would have noticed that it wouldn't bolt up to the passenger peg before I went to the hardware store to buy a longer bolt.



Upside is they are very stout!! I've read some comments about them crinkling and I would say after having them in my hand, you would have to put a LOT of weight on the back to get them to crinkle. Like can't keep the front wheel down weight.

I was really excited when I mounted the first one. I liked how it mounted to the top foot peg. Balanced really nice with the Cycle Rack.

One other thing I didn't care for was the allen wrench bolts. It's not a big deal. I just don't care for them.

I plan to send a link to this comment to Twisted Throttle so they will update their product description to say that it only works with the stock muffler. Hopefully, they will consider redesigning that side. I was really looking forward to the reinforcement.
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #34728
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff
 
jungleplant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ManRacks, California
Oddometer: 1,842
R U guys watching this
__________________
209-294-9229
www.manracks.com

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #34729
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
R U guys watching this

TT ain't posting to sell.. just responding to a post... TT has a thread in Vendors and if youse want to discuss it with them, please do it there...
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #34730
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff
 
jungleplant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ManRacks, California
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
TT ain't posting to sell.. just responding to a post... TT has a thread in Vendors and if youse want to discuss it with them, please do it there...
Hey I dont't have any problem wit TT its just we stopped selling those back in 1999 because of all the new cans that were available and didnt want to deal with it , TT is just now finding out this problem , good luck guys, I luv ya , your a good group, but after this we might start again , its kinda interesting
we just want to help the fellow rider thats it...... because we all ride just like you i think
">

jungleplant screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 07:58 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #34731
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan
 
xj750guy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta "Wildrose Country" Canada
Oddometer: 99
Spudrider battery relocation

Has anybody with a Corbin seat completed the Shorai battery relocate?

Was the battery mounted on top of the airbox? (ala Spudrider)

I have my bike apart beyond the point of accurately remounting the seat....

Just curious, as I don't want to cut the base pan of the Corbin, and prefer not to put it all back together before I confirm.

Regards
Darryl
xj750guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #34732
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj750guy View Post
Has anybody with a Corbin seat completed the Shorai battery relocate?

Was the battery mounted on top of the airbox? (ala Spudrider)

I have my bike apart beyond the point of accurately remounting the seat....

Just curious, as I don't want to cut the base pan of the Corbin, and prefer not to put it all back together before I confirm.

Regards
Darryl
I don't have a Corbin saddle, so I can't give you a definite answer. However, I can tell you that my stock saddle lightly touches the right edge of the Shorai battery on top of my airbox. Therefore, I encourage you to compare the depth of the stock saddle with the depth of your Corbin saddle. If your Corbin saddle is as deep as the stock saddle, you will probably have no problems. However, if the Corbin saddle is more shallow, you will need to modify my Shorai battery installation.

P.S. You are going to love your Shorai battery!

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #34733
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,111
Jungle Plant that shit is funny!!! Put a smile on my face the last day at work before leave.
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #34734
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: El Mirage
Oddometer: 2,111
I am running the White Bros E2. Its currently disassembled for a repack.



Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
I think that some informal research is in order. We designed a set of subframe support arms for the XR650L to work with the stock exhaust system. Naturally, a lot of you have changed those pipes. I'd like to ask you guys to name as many aftermarket and alternative pipes that can be installed on an XR650L (note: L model NOT the R). Once we have a good, complete list I will start a new thread with a poll. The results of the poll will help us figure out which pipes to use when modifying the design of the subframe supports.

I'll start the list. If you can include a link to the pipe itself that would be great.
  1. Big Gun EVO - http://www.biggunexhaust.com/ex_mx_hon.html
  2. FMF Power Core - http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/Bi...5_HONDA_XR650L
  3. FMF Q4 - http://www.fmfracing.com/Products/Bi...5_HONDA_XR650L
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #34735
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff
 
jungleplant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: ManRacks, California
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Jungle Plant that shit is funny!!! Put a smile on my face the last day at work before leave.
Glad i could help ya out there Brother, Carlo Rossi had me last night
9 bucks a gallon
__________________
209-294-9229
www.manracks.com

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #34736
tjrockit
One day closer...
 
tjrockit's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Hi tjrocket. Thanks for confirming the sturdiness of the arms. Sometimes pictures can't tell the story like a true end user like yourself. Sorry for the issue. I will put this in front of the designer right away. It appears to be an FMF pipe - please confirm. Also, if there is more than one pipe option from FMF (or whomever the manufacturer is) let us know that so we can take it off of the application list.

Kev
Yes, it is an FMF Q4. I also sent a note to Twisted Throttle and they have updated the product listing.

These support arms are designed to work with the STOCK OEM HONDA EXHAUST ONLY. There are no guaranties that these arms will work with an after market exhaust.


__________________
2007 Honda XR650L
Dirt Roads within a 100 mile radius of Austin, TX
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #34737
tjrockit
One day closer...
 
tjrockit's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
I think that some informal research is in order.
BTW, thanks for jumping in with a response. One outcome I was hoping to see from my post was product improvement. I'm glad you're watching this thread and making improvements. I wish Honda would do the same. This thread is full of quality, valuable info that Honda could use to release a new version of the XRL that would probably improve their sells but it seems like they are not interested in the voice of the customer.
__________________
2007 Honda XR650L
Dirt Roads within a 100 mile radius of Austin, TX
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #34738
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
BTW, thanks for jumping in with a response. One outcome I was hoping to see from my post was product improvement. I'm glad you're watching this thread and making improvements. I wish Honda would do the same. This thread is full of quality, valuable info that Honda could use to release a new version of the XRL that would probably improve their sells but it seems like they are not interested in the voice of the customer.
I read this thread several times a week. It is a great way to follow and learn from you guys what you need and what we can improve upon.

FYI - I spoke with the designer who created those arms at our morning meeting. We are going to try to develop a new right support arm to fit a wider range of pipes. Be sure to get everyone to help me fill out the list of available exhaust options for the XR650L and then look for a poll to help us count the number of each pipe installed. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34736

Kev
__________________
TwistedThrottle.com Toll-free 855-255-5550
Follow us on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter!
twistedthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #34739
ShooterDave
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Caliscrewitself
Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
BTW, thanks for jumping in with a response. One outcome I was hoping to see from my post was product improvement. I'm glad you're watching this thread and making improvements. I wish Honda would do the same. This thread is full of quality, valuable info that Honda could use to release a new version of the XRL that would probably improve their sells but it seems like they are not interested in the voice of the customer.

I agree. The big wigs at corporate seemed really interested in my trip, but not in any improvements I told them about. O well, sucks for them. I'm glad to hear that Twisted Throttle is listening to the people they work for so to speak

Now Kev, if we could just get you guys making motorcycles, our problems would be solved haha.
__________________
My Lower 48+ ride on my XR650L - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565350

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #34740
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
I've been asked , is that a motorcycle stuck in your ass ,
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014