User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #36286
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
XRL compression?

I'm looking at an 07 650 L, I know the compression is fairly low compared to the old 600, and I've been looking for solid info on it. I've read in various places that it is 8.5-10.5 for the L. Did they change it over the years? Or is it possible that they vary by country?

I recently rode a modded DRZ 470, and it ran like a scalded redneck on steriods, but when it was hot the starter/battery would barely crank it. I have a DRZ 400 and was considering a big bore kit, but I want total reliability and don't think a built DRZ will be that. I raced XR 600s from 92-99 and loved them.

My thinking is that a 650L with only hot cams and high compression piston would be bulletproof and quite a bit more powerful than any DRZ-anything? I've considered just going nuts with a KTM 950 Superenduro, but 400+ lbs loaded with camping gear just might be a bit much. And I looked at one recently, working on it didn't seem too fun of an idea. They put a big block twin in a little bitty frame. Fixing that monster on the trail might just be beyone me.

Thank you guys for this thread. I've been lurking here quite a while.

Jeff.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #36287
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
I'm looking at an 07 650 L, I know the compression is fairly low compared to the old 600, and I've been looking for solid info on it. I've read in various places that it is 8.5-10.5 for the L. Did they change it over the years? Or is it possible that they vary by country?

I recently rode a modded DRZ 470, and it ran like a scalded redneck on steriods, but when it was hot the starter/battery would barely crank it. I have a DRZ 400 and was considering a big bore kit, but I want total reliability and don't think a built DRZ will be that. I raced XR 600s from 92-99 and loved them.

My thinking is that a 650L with only hot cams and high compression piston would be bulletproof and quite a bit more powerful than any DRZ-anything? I've considered just going nuts with a KTM 950 Superenduro, but 400+ lbs loaded with camping gear just might be a bit much. And I looked at one recently, working on it didn't seem too fun of an idea. They put a big block twin in a little bitty frame. Fixing that monster on the trail might just be beyone me.

Jeff.

OE piston is low compression 8.5 or lower........8.3-1 i think..all years....unless modified by owner..

Bump the comp to 10.5-1 and get a decent cam......and no..a Hotcam is NOT a decent cam,it has fried a pile of XR650l top ends..

It seems it`s a hit/miss thing in these engines,,,some are user error not setting the lash to HotCam specs,,,some appear to just eat the rockers for no apparent reason...

As Steve says ... "YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

Oh,i was riding with a guy with a modded DRZ last summer.....nice bike,,but not getting anywhere near me with a modified XR650L..

not even close...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 01-03-2012 at 05:46 PM
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #36288
Streaks
Gardener

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Cool,like i said on ThumperTalk..........what do i win

Valves are pretty tough,should be alright..

B
If you were closer, BEER
Streaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #36289
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaks View Post
If you were closer, BEER

NOW YOUR TALKIN

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #36290
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
I tried the pinesol trick cleaning the carb. It worked great. When i was done, i left the pinesol in the bucket. I can't believe how it seperated and got all gummy.

If you clean your carb, don't let it sit in there to long. That would be a mess to clean.
agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #36291
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspecialties View Post
I tried the pinesol trick cleaning the carb. It worked great. When i was done, i left the pinesol in the bucket. I can't believe how it seperated and got all gummy.

If you clean your carb, don't let it sit in there to long. That would be a mess to clean.

Hmmmm,,that`s good to know..

B
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #36292
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
I figured out that it started to break down and seperate around the third day or fourth day.
agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #36293
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
Jeff.
Jeffro!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #36294
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm3moose View Post
Mine is doing the same thing, backfires on decel pretty bad and then dies all the time at idle, conveniently at stop signs and green lights. I'm going to try the pilot screw but would valves do this as well?
Could be a dirty pilot jet also.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #36295
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Fellas,

I recently picked up a front end off a cfr250 (Thanks Marko!).

One thing I need is to retain the mounting points on the stock upper triple. So I am curious, can the OEM triples be machined out to accept the larger forks from the crf, without impacting the structural integrity of the triple?

This would save alot of hassle. If not I may have to put out the money on the Emig racing setup.

Thanks

Personally, I think you'd be nuts to modify the triples, just because that's a critical part. If it fails, it's a faceplant.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #36296
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspecialties View Post
Anyone using Highway Dirt Bikes folding morrors and barkbusters?? Are they worth the money?
The mirrors are decent and the bash guards are the best there is. I crash tested the hell out of them in Moab and I don't think they are even bent. The top clamp with switches and powerlet outlets is sweet also. Worth the money? I guess that depends if you ride it like a dirtbike a lot and/or want switches and outlets without doing fab work. It made a bit more sense for me since my L didn't come with mirrors.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #36297
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 505
Hey Guys,
I stripped out one of the two 10mm bolts that hold the valve cover on. Its the front right one. It goes through the valve cover, the head, and into the jug. Is there a way to repair it (helicoil, etc.) with out disassembling the motor. I have put in helicoils, but never into a hole that is 4-5 inches deep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
farrington300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #36298
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I fabbed my own as well. I went "full wrap" to make it look less like a patch.
Wanna make some more for us? I'll take one!!

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #36299
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrington300 View Post
Hey Guys,
I stripped out one of the two 10mm bolts that hold the valve cover on. Its the front right one. It goes through the valve cover, the head, and into the jug. Is there a way to repair it (helicoil, etc.) with out disassembling the motor. I have put in helicoils, but never into a hole that is 4-5 inches deep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pull the motor, and cover the piston. Or pull the part. Only two options.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #36300
farrington300
No wait....What?

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Pull the motor, and cover the piston. Or pull the part. Only two options.

Forgot to mention that the motor is out of the bike, so the hole is easy to get to.

I have done a little research and it turns out there is a way to tap/helicoil a 4-5" deep hole, tho it looks like it was custom tooling. Anyone else have a sugestions. I really dont want to tear the motor down again. At this point I could probably do it in a couple hours, but I really dont want to.
farrington300 is online now   Reply With Quote