User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #376
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,441
Hot cam?

Should I get a Hotcam? anyone with one, please chime in, read below!

I'm in the process of rebuilding the motor in my L. Today was the day we were going to get it all back together and back into the bike but fate reared its ugly hand and things didn't go well. We got the Piston in and were putting the cylinder bolts in and one wouldn't tourque down right and felt funny. We new it would break if we tried too hard so we took it out and it was hourglass shaped. Sonofabitch! I guess its not going together today. ]
I call the closest Honda shop ( 45 minute drive ) and order 4 new cylinder bolts and since we didn't want to go through the same ordeal with the head, I ordered the 6 head bolts. Spring is coming, we can't keep waiting on parts!!
Guess what. 10 bolts $109 or something like that!!! Holy sheit.

So I guess my idea of a cheap rebuild is going out the window. all I gotta do is bolt the cylinder down, bolt the head down, put in the cam and tensioner and the rest is history. Since it will be sitting till at least wednesday waiting for the golden bolts, should I put in a hotcam?

Dennis Kirk has em' for $161.99 and I can have it on Tuesday.
The description says "vastly improves mid-range and top end power"
anyone willing to comment on the power increase? I've heard that you sacrifice some low end power to achive mid and top end, but is it bad? I'm going to rejet and pipe it also, plus its already got the 14-48 so I have low end.
Opinions please. I gotta order it real soon to get it in time.

b.t.w. - prices for this honda stuff is pretty crazy! It cost $103 for gaskets and O-rings, $58 for rings, $30 for valve seals, and $109+ for 10 bolts.
I'm lucky that my motor was in pretty good shape and didn't need alot of stuff.
end of rant.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #377
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym

Dennis Kirk has em' for $161.99 and I can have it on Tuesday.
"Usually ships next day" - from Ohio. You could email him and see about stock and shipping. I've purchased from them before - good people.

Hotcam on EBAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, this will be the next thing I spend money on. Under $350 built and shipped.

From zackm58941 over at TT:

Just an update, I called Thumper Racing about the 675cc BBK and for everything it would be $320! This includes:

-$165 for piston, rings (which they set the gaps on), wrist pin and locks,
-$16 for stronger clutch springs
-$40 for gasket kit
-$35 for valve cover gasket
-$15 for clutch cover gasket
-$49 to bore & hone my cylinder to the new piston.

The guy I talked to said the HotCams Stage 1 cam works great with this kit and seeing that I already have a Uni air filter, he took the K&N out. They also ususally give you a new DynoJet jet kit but I already have that, they will send me new jets to better match the kit and my elivation They no longer do the flywheel service anymore which doesnt bother me but they need to update their website. I'm gonna place the order Monday and send them my cylinder so they can get to work on it, I guess it should take about 8 or 10 days for it to be finished up. Just wanted to let everone know.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
His total came out to $308 with shipping.

A similar set up yielded these results on an 85 degree day:

The whole thread is here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ght=valve+cost
Old 03-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #378
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Thanks for the link! thats a good deal, I emailed him.

Thats a good deal from thumper racing. If I was thinking I woulda bought a higher comp piston for mine, heck you can find them for $130 with rings, and just my rings were $57! My cylinder was in great shape though, so we just honed it.

Still looking for more opinions on the Cam!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 03-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #379
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,532
I doubt they want your old cam as a core, so if you don't like it you can get your money out of it pretty easily. Who doesn't like more power?
The 675 kit with the higher comp piston really works well with the cam, but I would think the cam alone would make a noticable difference.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #380
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Quote:
Still looking for more opinions on the Cam!
Well, I just got back from Moab and rode with a KLR and a 640 LC4e. I have to say, once again, I liked my bike the best because it was the most usable of the group. The KLR had a serious lack of low end torque, the KTM had a non-linear power explosion in the mid to high end. Mine was the easiest to use I think because it is all low and mid range. It falls off quickly in the top end. That's what I like. I like to blip the throttle and only hear one or two revs of the motor pop my wheel up.

My point is that the cam alone seems to diminish some of that low-end punch, while increasing the mid and top end rush. For me, that is the opposite of what I want. I'd take the more power, but I want a comparable increase in the low end...

Just my $.02
Old 03-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #381
rokklym
one man wolfpack

The ebay cam, the guy has 7 in stock. it may take an extra day to get, but its about $25 cheaper than Denni Kirk. Dennis Kirk is real close so I'd have it tuesday if I ordered it sunday/monday. I think I may go with the ebay one.

Heres some info I found on thumper talk:
I just installed a Stage 1 hotcam in my 04 Xr 650 L. I must say it is NIGHT AND DAY. The thing rips now. Before it was a low rpm torque moster and loved to be short shifted a little out through the gears with decent top end charge. Now the thing has a TON of midrange-topend power where it never did. I LOVE IT. Also, I can honestly say that I never lost ANY low end torque. It still has the low end hit it always did. It really hauls hard through the gears.

VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE POWER.

Anyone that has a XR 650 L and is looking for more power then I suggest a Stage 1 cam or equivalent.

I already had a Yoshimura pipe, 165 main jet, Uni filter, Dynojet spring and needle, 5/32 holes drilled, De-smog, De-snork.

15-48 gearing and it will pull 98-100 mph easy with a 120/100 tire.

Doesn't sound too bad. Like katbeanz said, I can always replace it if I don't like it, plus I have a backup cam just in case. Sounds like a win win situation, well except for the fact I'll be broke.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 03-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #382
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhk
Well, I just got back from Moab and rode with a KLR and a 640 LC4e. I have to say, once again, I liked my bike the best because it was the most usable of the group. The KLR had a serious lack of low end torque, the KTM had a non-linear power explosion in the mid to high end. Mine was the easiest to use I think because it is all low and mid range. It falls off quickly in the top end. That's what I like. I like to blip the throttle and only hear one or two revs of the motor pop my wheel up.

My point is that the cam alone seems to diminish some of that low-end punch, while increasing the mid and top end rush. For me, that is the opposite of what I want. I'd take the more power, but I want a comparable increase in the low end...

Just my $.02
OK, you gonna post some Moab pics?

Alot of my riding is fairly high speed loose stuff that I usually wind up riding in the upper rpm's. We don't have alot of stuff we have to pop the front end over so hopefully I'll be OK.
coming from a stock motored XRL to one thats fresh, cammed, and properly jetted should bring a smile to my face.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 03-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #383
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Quote:
Doesn't sound too bad. Like katbeanz said, I can always replace it if I don't like it, plus I have a backup cam just in case. Sounds like a win win situation, well except for the fact I'll be broke.
Sounds great! Let us know what you think. Oh, also - why are you rebuilding a 2002 already?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #384
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Quote:
OK, you gonna post some Moab pics? .
Fo' sho'
Old 03-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #385
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Sounds great! Let us know what you think. Oh, also - why are you rebuilding a 2002 already?
cuz I started to wonder if it was a 2-stroke! I was going through about 1/2 quart of oil every 300-500 miles. I dropped the bike and cracked the case cover with the shift lever in June, unfortunatly i didn't notice it at the time and rode it a couple hundred miles low on oil. I must have gotten it real hot that low on oil. after that, it started smoking on start up and using oil. Honda motors are bullet proof, but not Chad-proof.
I musta been the rings because everything else was in great shape. seems like I tore apart a perfectly good motor but that oil situation was frustrating and worried me on the trail.

On the bright side, my bikes picture was featured on the cover of Great Lakes Trailrider magazine this month. I think I should be nice and treat it to a cam.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 03-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #386
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Quote:
cuz I started to wonder if it was a 2-stroke! I was going through about 1/2 quart of oil every 300-500 miles. I dropped the bike and cracked the case cover with the shift lever in June, unfortunatly i didn't notice it at the time and rode it a couple hundred miles low on oil. I must have gotten it real hot that low on oil. after that, it started smoking on start up and using oil. Honda motors are bullet proof, but not Chad-proof.
I musta been the rings because everything else was in great shape. seems like I tore apart a perfectly good motor but that oil situation was frustrating and worried me on the trail.

On the bright side, my bikes picture was featured on the cover of Great Lakes Trailrider magazine this month. I think I should be nice and treat it to a cam.
Damn, that's beat man.

Pic? Cover of a mag? Do post it!
Old 03-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #387
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Damn, that's beat man.

Pic? Cover of a mag? Do post it!
Here ya go
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 03-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #388
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,447
i know nothing about the cam. i really want you to do it though so i will know if i should. the big bore sounds awesome.
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #389
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Went out on the "L" today wearing a small cheap backpack for the first time to try out using the bike for errands etc. The backpack idea worked great. I stopped at Sears and then at the nearby Suzuki dealer for motorcycle oil. I don't have a Honda dealer anywhere close by. The young salesman guy who sold me the oil kept talking to me about how he liked my bike, Honda reliability, "that thing's going to last forever" etc. etc.
That's pretty good talk from a Suzuki salesman! We talked some about the blue DR he had just gotten in but he wasnt trying to sell it to me, just talking bikes and he liked mine.
Cool.
He did have a real nice little 110cc that would be perfect for my boy, but I was just there for oil.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #390
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek
i know nothing about the cam. i really want you to do it though so i will know if i should. the big bore sounds awesome.
Well, I did it. I bought the cam. Hopefully the cam and the rest of my parts will be here on Wednesday and the bike may be running next weekend. I'll give a report once its broken in.
Lone Wolf Expeditions