Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #39841
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I've never been listed with the smart guys club.. im speechless...

Im of the school of the best you can afford with the money you got when it comes to tools

Craftsman, snap on, mac etc... no harbor freight shit
Thanks all for the feedback. I've got my eye on a Craftsman click-type, seems well-built and reasonably priced. Of course there's always the Snap-ON $2,020.00 model....
Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #39842
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. I've got my eye on a Craftsman click-type, seems well-built and reasonably priced. Of course there's always the Snap-ON $2,020.00 model....
I've had my Craftsman click-type for 25 years. Always works great. Just remember after you use it to always change the setting back to zero.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #39843
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I've had my Craftsman click-type for 25 years. Always works great. Just remember after you use it to always change the setting back to zero.
Thanks SC,

That's the route I'm leaning towards, and I had read that tip you mentioned. Would you mind telling me what ft. lb. range you got as well as drive-size? (Meaning what would work best for most of the XRL stuff.)
Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #39844
shakalu
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Small problem with turn signals

Hey guys, having an electrical problem and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some insight as to how I might get this fixed! I dumped my xrl the other day riding trails and broke the headlight on a rock (and throttle tube), but no other damage apart from scratched plastics. I've removed the headlight and since I run 8" baja designs lights on my truck, I'm just going to wire one of those in. Problem is after the crash none of my turn signals are working, and neither is the turn signal light. I did the relay check per clymer manual and apparently the relay isn't the problem. Anyone know what might make all four blinkers stop working? Doesn't seem to be a sheared wire anywhere...anyone run into this before? Really appreciate any help you guys might be able to give
shakalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #39845
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakalu View Post
Problem is after the crash none of my turn signals are working, and neither is the turn signal light.
Can't say on the XR for sure, but I've had other Hondas (MB5) where when the headlight goes out, the excess power surge takes all the other lights out with it. Did you confirm that the bulbs didn't burnout?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #39846
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,438
Quote:
Thanks SC,

That's the route I'm leaning towards, and I had read that tip you mentioned. Would you mind telling me what ft. lb. range you got as well as drive-size? (Meaning what would work best for most of the XRL stuff.)

I got 2 craftsman clickers 3/8 drive works for the smaller stuff 1/2 drive for the bigger such as axle bolts

The tech police will tell you a bunch of technical stuff about what range the wrench is actually tested for I.E. 25-75% and I'm sure they are correct. But what I have has worked fine the way I used it
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #39847
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Hey guys, having an electrical problem and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some insight as to how I might get this fixed! I dumped my xrl the other day riding trails and broke the headlight on a rock (and throttle tube), but no other damage apart from scratched plastics. I've removed the headlight and since I run 8" baja designs lights on my truck, I'm just going to wire one of those in. Problem is after the crash none of my turn signals are working, and neither is the turn signal light. I did the relay check per clymer manual and apparently the relay isn't the problem. Anyone know what might make all four blinkers stop working? Doesn't seem to be a sheared wire anywhere...anyone run into this before? Really appreciate any help you guys might be able to give
The turn signals and brake, tail, and instrument lights are on the same fuse. So if you have brake tail lights it is not the fuse. A broken ground wire could maybe cause this? I'm not sure that the front and rear turn signals will ground through the same wire though. Something broken in the turn signal switch?

You need to get a test light, or volt/multi meter and wiring schematic, and systematically check out the circuit. Start at the fuse. Is the power there? Then move to the next in line. Is it a connection, multi pin plug, relay or switch? Work through them in order, when you find where the power stops yo will have found the problem.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #39848
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
The flasher for the turn signals in the headlight housing on the right side. If you broke your light on that side it may have damaged the flasher too. If so you can get a replacement at the auto parts store, many trailer flashers will work.
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #39849
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Thanks SC,

Not sure about the range without looking. Actually been awhile since I used it. Mine is a 1/2 inch drive but I also have a smaller 3/8 drive for smaller stuff in inch-lbs.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #39850
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,617
Torque Wrench

It's Snap On for me. 3/8" drive 5 to 75 lbs, Clicker, Flex head

Torque Wrench, Adj. Click Type, U.S., Flex-Ratchet, 5-75 ft. lb., 3/8" drive
Item Qty Price**
Torque Wrench, Adj. Click Type, U.S., Flex-Ratchet, 5-75 ft. lb., 3/8" driveStock#: QD2FR75

$282.00
Add To Cart

Checkout

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #39851
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
It's Snap On for me. 3/8" drive 5 to 75 lbs, Clicker, Flex head

Torque Wrench, Adj. Click Type, U.S., Flex-Ratchet, 5-75 ft. lb., 3/8" drive
ItemQtyPrice**
Torque Wrench, Adj. Click Type, U.S., Flex-Ratchet, 5-75 ft. lb., 3/8" driveStock#: QD2FR75

$282.00

Add To Cart

Checkout

Nice! Thanks guys for all the help.

Chip
Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #39852
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:

I`ve got 4 Snap-On torque wrenches raging from 5in/lbs up to 250ft/lbs......none of them were that expensive......ranging from 300-500 dollars each......still expensive i know,but worth it and actually accurate,,cheapies rarely tend to be accurate/repeatable.....

That said,i need them to be accurate as they are used almost daily..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #39853
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Thanks SC,

You should get an inch/pound torque wrench as well as a foot pound torque wrench.........

The most commonly need torque settings on a bike are between 10-100ft/lbs..

A 3/8 drive in/lb torque wrench raging from 30-200 is well used on a bike too..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #39854
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
You should get an inch/pound torque wrench as well as a foot pound torque wrench.........

The most commonly need torque settings on a bike are between 10-100ft/lbs..

A 3/8 drive in/lb torque wrench raging from 30-200 is well used on a bike too..

B
Now you've all got me justifying the Snap-On. I like it's range, and the more reviews I read about the new China Crafsmen the less I like. I like the one Steve has. The manual specifies everything in ft. lb. so I'll start with that and work my way up!

Thanks again all.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #39855
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
I just noticed on the Just Gas Tanks website that the Acerbis now comes in natural!!

I like being able to see how much gas I have left.

http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=328
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote