Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #40066
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

I replaced the the stock brake pads with Tusk brake pads, and a new, Tusk, rear brake pin.

Spud
You might want to put that old pin in your tool kit. I lost one on the road once. Found the pads but not the pin. I had a 5 hour ride home with no rear brakes.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #40067
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
If I am interpreting the pictures on pages 13-2 and 13-10 of the service manual correctly, I think you had the spring in upside down.

Walter
I think you had it upside down too but I'm not 100% sure
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #40068
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
I

I replaced the the stock brake pads with Tusk brake pads, and a new, Tusk, rear brake pin.
Spud
I just bought some Tusk product (billet gas caps for IMS & Clark tanks). I guess that's a Rocky Mountain MC exclusive. I'm guessing they slap their name on stuff made elsewhere, but I was impressed with the quality.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #40069
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
If I am interpreting the pictures on pages 13-2 and 13-10 of the service manual correctly, I think you had the spring in upside down.

Walter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Actually, I was so frustrated, I tried it both ways with the rear wheel removed. With the rear wheel in place, the spring/clip will only install with the concave side up. I also tried installing the pads with the old brake pin as well as the new, Tusk brake pin. The problem stems from the alignment of the outboard brake pad with the brake pin. The spring/clip does not appear to be damaged, and I think it will only install one way with the wheel in place. I am baffled!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #40070
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You might want to put that old pin in your tool kit. I lost one on the road once. Found the pads but not the pin. I had a 5 hour ride home with no rear brakes.

Walter
As always, thank you for the good tip, Walter. I did save the old brake pin, and I will be sure to add it to my tool kit!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #40071
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
I just bought some Tusk product (billet gas caps for IMS & Clark tanks). I guess that's a Rocky Mountain MC exclusive. I'm guessing they slap their name on stuff made elsewhere, but I was impressed with the quality.

RZ Rob
I'm a big fan of Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, and I like Tusk products. I will report on the braking strength, and the longevity, of the Tusk brake pads.

Spud
Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #40072
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Walter
Quote:
Must you completely depress the brake piston for the brake pad spring/clip to install properly? I depressed the brake piston as far as I could by twisting a screw driver between the old brake pads before I removed them. My new brake pads have good clearance on both sides of the brake rotor. However, the outboard (piston side) brake pad will not align properly with the brake pin as long as the brake pad spring/clip is in position. The inboard (hub side) brake pad fits well with the clip in place.

Spud
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #40073
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Must you completely depress the brake piston for the brake pad spring/clip to install properly? I depressed the brake piston as far as I could by twisting a screw driver between the old brake pads before I removed them. My new brake pads have good clearance on both sides of the brake rotor. However, the outboard (piston side) brake pad will not align properly with the brake pin as long as the brake pad spring/clip is in position. The inboard (hub side) brake pad fits well with the clip in place.

Spud
Maybe. I have always used a C clamp to depress the piston, so always have had it depressed all the way. That spring is always a pain. It jumps out of there before you get a good look at how it was positioned. You did notice that one end is wider than the other? And the wide end goes towards the pin? It will fit when you get it right.

Don't forget to pump the piston back out before you go riding.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #40074
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe. I have always used a C clamp to depress the piston, so always have had it depressed all the way. That spring is always a pain. It jumps out of there before you get a good look at how it was positioned. You did notice that one end is wider than the other? And the wide end goes towards the pin? It will fit when you get it right.

Don't forget to pump the piston back out before you go riding.

Walter
Thanks for you help, Walter.

I just finished pressing the piston all the way into the cylinder. I then checked the brake fluid level; it was normal. Using the brake pad spring/clip, the piston pin will install easily with either the inboard, or the outboard brake pad alone; however, the brake pin will not install with both brake pads. I believe I have already tried installing the brake pin with the stock brakes pads, and failed. However, I will try fitting the stock pads again, with the stock brake pin, tomorrow.

At this point I am beginning to think the Tusk brake pads might be slightly different in size from the stock brake pads. Either that, or I have a damaged brake pad spring/clip.

Spud
Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #40075
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Thanks for you help, Walter.

I just finished pressing the piston all the way into the cylinder. I then checked the brake fluid level; it was normal. Using the brake pad spring/clip, the piston pin will install easily with either the inboard, or the outboard brake pad alone; however, the brake pin will not install with both brake pads. I believe I have already tried installing the brake pin with the stock brakes pads, and failed. However, I will try fitting the stock pads again, with the stock brake pin, tomorrow.

At this point I am beginning to think the Tusk brake pads might be slightly different in size from the stock brake pads. Either that, or I have a damaged brake pad spring/clip.

Spud
comapre them to teh old pds and try the spring with teh old pads too. you should at least be able to figure out which way it goes with the old ones
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #40076
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertrip View Post
I'm having an issue with my turn signal relay. It seems to take anywhere from a couple of seconds to nearly 10 seconds to engage the turn signal lights.
Seeing that I also own a KLR, I went the cheap route. The stock relay pops right open with a screwdriver. There is a small, square (capacitator?) that giggles loose from it connection on the mother board. Clean up the solder points and tack it back down... good to go.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #40077
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
comapre them to teh old pds and try the spring with teh old pads too. you should at least be able to figure out which way it goes with the old ones
Thank you, Ken.

I tried the old brake pads with the old brake pin, and the brake spring/clip still would not fit! Since one end is wider than the other, the brake spring/clip will only fit in two possible positions, and one of those positions is obviously wrong. The clearance for these brake pad springs/clips is unbelievably small. What a pain!

Spud
Old 03-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #40078
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Boy, that's a tight fit (she said)!

I decided to lightly file the rearmost edge of the brake pad spring/clip, and I finally got the brake pin to install! I am using the Tusk brake pin as well as the Tusk brake pads.

I like the Tusk brake components I installed, and I'm sure the brake pad spring/clip will now quickly conform to the new hardware. Under a close, visual examination, the dimensions of the Tusk brake pads appear to be identical to the OEM brake pads. However, the brake pad spring/clip is a very tight fit with these brake pads, so be forewarned. If you choose to install Tusk brake pads on the rear caliper of your XR650L, be prepared to screw around a little before you get the brake pin to install!

Spud
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #40079
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

EXhaust.

My exhaust broke today. Whats the "cool" setup FMF powerbomb and a Q4?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #40080
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I use a Q4. Perfect sound for me. Not too loud.

Mike B
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote