Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #40186
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Damn, I just looked at a map and those tornadoes were close to CW. Maybe an hours drive? Glad nobody was killed.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #40187
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Damn, I just looked at a map and those tornadoes were close to CW. Maybe an hours drive? Glad nobody was killed.
I sent you some goodies and a bigger bump stick, you should have them by the middle or end of the week..

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #40188
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome, Fredinand. I am very well familiar with your home in the Allegheny National Forest of Northwest Pennsylvania; it is beautiful country. Needless to say, you will want a good mud tire if you are riding off road in the Allegheny National Forest.

I'm sure mounting a TerraFlex tire, or some of the other very big tires, is more difficult. However, I didn't have problems mounting any of the tires I mentioned in my review. Changing tires became much easier for me after I learned the proper techniques, and bought the proper tools. Basically, I mount my tires using the tools and techniques demonstrated by Jay Clarke in the following videos.

Spud
Spud,
What is you technique for balancing these tires for on road use?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #40189
Zerg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Does anyone have any experience with any offset Bar risers other than the popular ROX Risers? I would like to find some for cheaper than 100 dollars but I cant find much. If I have to go with the Rox should I get the block risers or the pivot risers?

Do you have any preference in Brand of fork springs?

Zerg screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 08:05 AM
Zerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #40190
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
Does anyone have any experience with any offset Bar risers other than the popular ROX Risers? I would like to find some for cheaper than 100 dollars but I cant find much. If I have to go with the Rox should I get the block risers or the pivot risers?

Do you have any preference in Brand of fork springs?

Pivot that bitch :)

Seriously though, for the amount of adjustability, the pivot risers are the way to go.

Got a new L for the week to ride and thats the 1st thing I slapped on, even before I took it out!

I need to return the bike on monday so I just removed them. The bike feels almost awkward to ride now.

Get a set of fat bars and some pivot risers. The best thing you can do.
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #40191
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
Spud,
What is you technique for balancing these tires for on road use?
I don't balance my dual sport tires; however, I don't employ rim locks, either. I did buy some Dynabeads last year; I need to remember to experiment with them.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #40192
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Spud- I think dynabeads are for tube less tires.... they might in time chew up your tube maybe this is why you have not used them on your L ?

Those tire videos with jay are great. do you have a tire changing stand? and the bead buddy?

BTW, you need to update your SIG...... rear tire is now a MT21 ....
Your tips are amazing SPUD... i am gonna order me some motion pro collet & driver for bearing removal thank you
will those tools work for front wheel bearings?

John
Old 03-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #40193
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,760
Have experienced many of the same issues in the past so hope this helps.

1. It's a big bike - even if you're big. So I'm a fairly average Joe, but I have to work to swing my leg over the XR and can only touch tippie-toe. My buddy's much bigger but really barely was able to get his leg over the bike. Once on it though, the suspension squatted under his enormous girth.

Set the rear sag about 4 1/2 inches. 15 oz synthetic ATF in each fork leg.

2. It's possible to run out of gas - even when you still have gas. The natural color IMS desert tank lets you see you've still got fuel, but that causes you to not use your other cues - known range (not established yet) and the hint of an occasional sputter. It appeared to have plenty of gas, but it was on the wrong side of the tank and not getting to the petcock.

I ended up with a red Acerbis 5.8. Petcocks on both sides. They now offer a clear. I would love the clear but was not offered at the time!

3. I don't trust the traction - even with new tires. New T63s, but I haven't developed confidence on the street and the little bit I rode on the dirt (at too high of PSI) was slippy to say the least. I found it a bit unnerving considering the mass of this sled.

Have not tried these but tires make a huge difference. I like 606 120/90/18. 12 psi dirt or street. Front Maxxis Desert IT 80/100/21.

4. It's faster in the dirt than on the street. OK, well at least it feels like it. The average car speed on the streets in So Cal is WFO and I don't find the bike anything near ideal. Turn off onto the dirt and twist the throttle and Whoa there boy! She's a handful if you don't exercise a little restraint.

I run 14/45 sprockets. Works for me everywhere. Hit the slab when required to connect a path & run 65+ easily. Ride mine all over AZ & Utah & have never had a bike I like as well as this antiquated old Honda
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #40194
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,413
I threw it around in the dunes today.

Even with the rejetted yoshi on the bike, I cant help but feel that the bike took a pounding in the sand... 40miles to reserve!

anybody else experience this?
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #40195
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Spud- I think dynabeads are for tube less tires.... they might in time chew up your tube maybe this is why you have not used them on your L ?...
You can use the Dynabeads with inner tube tires; I believe some on the inmates on this thread are using them. I don't have a problem with unbalanced tires, so I haven't felt an urgency to experiment with the Dynabeads. I primarily bought the Dynabeads to see if I could extend the tread life of my tires, but I'm not having a problem in that regard, either. Therefore, I haven't felt the need to install the Dyna beads.

The Dynabeads appear to be very smooth, so I doubt they will do much harm to an inner tube. However, since I'm not having problems with either tire balance or tire wear issues, I haven't been in a hurry to install the Dynabeads, and possibly create a problem with my inner tubes. In all fairness, I have never heard anyone report he has encountered problems with his inner tubes while using Dynabeads.
Quote:
...Those tire videos with jay are great. do you have a tire changing stand? and the bead buddy?...
Yes, I use the same tools and the same techniques as Jay Clarke. His videos are authentic; he doesn't employ "smoke and mirrors. " Using his techniques, I change tires as easily as he demonstrates in his videos. I never shed any blood changing my tires; I don't even get frustrated any more.

I own a Moose Racing Tire Changing Stand. I bought this stand for $100, delivered; it is one of the best tool investments I have made. I also use Motion Pro Tire Spoons, and a Tusk "bead buddy."

Quote:
...BTW, you need to update your SIG...... rear tire is now a MT21 ....
Your tips are amazing SPUD... i am gonna order me some motion pro collet & driver for bearing removal thank you
will those tools work for front wheel bearings?

John
Thanks for reminding me; I just updated my signature. Yes, the 17mm split collet will work for both wheels on the XR650L. Make sure you get the large bearing driver. Using these tools, extracting wheel bearings is "easy peasy." You can effortlessly drive out a wheel bearing in less than a minute.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #40196
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Any further advice from the collective?

Well I think I got the hard starting issue resolved. 58 pilot and 160 main seem to work much better with the 10% ethanol they force us to buy in Indiana.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #40197
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thanks for reminding me; I just updated my signature.

Spud
One more time SPUD...........I think dunlop is still in your SIG
You know i'm just busting your BEADS right?

That moose stand is badass.... it might take up some room in my single cageless bike garage
Old 03-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #40198
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 613
Dynabeads are the shiznit. I have been running them on my L for a year and they work great. I run a full knobby tire on the front and cannot tell its there on the freeway.
1985 XR600R tagged
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #40199
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Free to a good home

Since I have my jetting resolved, I will offer my 55 pilot and 158 main to anyone doing a Dave's mod. Just shoot me an IM with your mailing address.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #40200
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
One more time SPUD...........I think dunlop is still in your SIG
You know i'm just busting your BEADS right?

That moose stand is badass.... it might take up some room in my single cageless bike garage
You've got to refresh your web browser, John. I updated my signature before I made my last post.

You can pay more for a tire changing stand, but the Moose Racing stand works great. I see Rocky Mountain ATV/MC is also selling a very similar, MSR tire changing stand for $89.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...CHANGING+STAND

Changing knobby tires on your knees is literally a pain in your back, kneecaps, and neck. It's is immensely more pleasant to change tires while standing on your hind legs, like a human being. You get more leverage on the tire irons, and can use your weight to assist you when using a tire changing stand. These stands are very portable, and very easy to dismantle for either storage or transport. Do yourself a favor, and buy a tire changing stand. The stand will quickly pay for itself, and make tire changing a much more pleasant experience.

Spud