ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #40456
The Purple Turtle
n00b
 
The Purple Turtle's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Hartbeespoort South Africa
Oddometer: 9
Hi, umm...first post in the XR thread...

The orange covers on ZA bikes ensure visibility...an orange light is just much more noticeable than a white one.

I took delivery of my 2012 XR650L on the 20th of December. (6km on the clock).

This morning the odo stood at 3294km.

Love the bike, it crashed well, ok, the pedestrian took the brunt of the impact..but all is well.
The Purple Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #40457
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Purple Turtle View Post
Hi, umm...first post in the XR thread...

The orange covers on ZA bikes ensure visibility...an orange light is just much more noticeable than a white one.

I took delivery of my 2012 XR650L on the 20th of December. (6km on the clock).

This morning the odo stood at 3294km.

Love the bike, it crashed well, ok, the pedestrian took the brunt of the impact..but all is well.
Thanks for clearing that up and welcome aboard... now how about some pics of your pedestrian plower

FYI, to post pics you'll have to host them on another site like smugbug or photobucket then post the link in your post.

-Barron
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #40458
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post

aftermarket head pipe or some kind. any suggestions on that?)





Either paint the OE header or re-jet. Looks lean. Like your cooking the paint right off the header.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #40459
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 2,058
I also had trouble starting mine. It started and ran for a few seconds and died. Damn thing would not start until I looked down and saw the fuel petcock in the Off position. Once I turned the gas on, took a couple cranks and started right up!!!
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #40460
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I also had trouble starting mine. It started and ran for a few seconds and died. Damn thing would not start until I looked down and saw the fuel petcock in the Off position. Once I turned the gas on, took a couple cranks and started right up!!!
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #40461
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I also had trouble starting mine. It started and ran for a few seconds and died. Damn thing would not start until I looked down and saw the fuel petcock in the Off position. Once I turned the gas on, took a couple cranks and started right up!!!
Been there, done that!
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #40462
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_a29 View Post
I just got my 84 xl350 running. Its at 7000 miles does anyone know any of the milestone maitenance i should be coming upon? It been sitting since 94. I had the carbs redone and changed oil.
Sounds like you got it. Change the oil again in a bit, depending on how black and sludgy it was coming out the first time. I'm not sure how much 'advice' you want on service... of course, check the air filter, chain, spokes, wheel bearings, tire wear, tire cracks, all the cables, oil leaks............................................. ...................
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #40463
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Sounds like you got it. Change the oil again in a bit, depending on how black and sludgy it was coming out the first time. I'm not sure how much 'advice' you want on service... of course, check the air filter, chain, spokes, wheel bearings, tire wear, tire cracks, all the cables, oil leaks............................................. ...................
+1 on what he said, then check all that stuff again after a couple hundred miles, that a lot of age and sitting, something is bound to come loose or crack, but maybe not.... better to be sure though.

-Barron
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #40464
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,273
My motor rebuild is being accelerated due to breaking one of the valve cover bolts. The one that goes down into the cylinder, not just the head..... so the whole top end is coming apart. The cylinder I have in there now burns oil, so I want to fix that too.

I have a bottom end that I've been tinkering with for the past few weeks, nx2nd, 600 kicker, so that goes to the top of the list, since... if I'm going to tear a motor in half, I might as well replace it with a better half....

So i'm going through all the parts, and I asked this a few weeks ago, but what is the xr600r/xr650l rod and piston combo that works and gives a performance boost? Assume all stock parts, and then any aftermarket. I have the 650 and 600 jugs and pistons and rods to swap out. not sure I want to spend 400$ on the middle end just now.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #40465
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 117
Cycle central no longer doing mail order

Hey guys,

This may be old news to some but Cyclecentralpowersports is no longer in the mail order OEM parts business.

Been waiting on my order placed on 3/6 to come in and after repeated phone calls finally got Ben on the phone and he stated the website was "shut down" on 3/2, but you wouldn't know it from my end. Claimed he had emailed all pending orders.

I guess the prices were too good to be true to last. But with the delays in shipping I guess it was clear they had created something they couldn't handle.

However, a pretty poor job of ending their online "business".

Back to Service Honda...

Andy
__________________
2012 Super Tenere/2009 crf450x/2006 sm610/2003 xr650l/1990 cbr1000f
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
AndyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #40466
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
Hey guys,

This may be old news to some but Cyclecentralpowersports is no longer in the mail order OEM parts business.

Been waiting on my order placed on 3/6 to come in and after repeated phone calls finally got Ben on the phone and he stated the website was "shut down" on 3/2, but you wouldn't know it from my end. Claimed he had emailed all pending orders.

I guess the prices were too good to be true to last. But with the delays in shipping I guess it was clear they had created something they couldn't handle.

However, a pretty poor job of ending their online "business".

Back to Service Honda...

Andy
Yeah, been discussed but this thread is hard to keep up with if you don't check in often. Doesn't hurt to bring it to everyone's attention again.
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #40467
RideAbout
Mentally Retired
 
RideAbout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Exactly what mine does. Just doesn't seem to be getting spark. Eventually it sparks and then I seem to get it going. Problem is I get out there sometimes and am solo. Headed to Death Valley for 7 days of solo riding and I want the damn thing to start.
Just throwing out ideas... but my TTR was a hard starter ever since new. Crank and crank till it would slowly come to life (yes, I had rejetted to remove the lean factory setting). My son borrowed it, slapped a "new" battery in it and "viola"... the damn thing just pops to life now.

You'd a thunk if the thing was turning over ok that the battery wouldn't be weak... but it was.
__________________
"Don't turn the Earth into a shit-hole like Uranus!"
West - "Oeste Sanchez"
RideAbout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #40468
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Haywood's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Chula Vista,CA (spittin' distance from Baja)
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
My motor rebuild is being accelerated due to breaking one of the valve cover bolts. The one that goes down into the cylinder, not just the head..... so the whole top end is coming apart. The cylinder I have in there now burns oil, so I want to fix that too.

I have a bottom end that I've been tinkering with for the past few weeks, nx2nd, 600 kicker, so that goes to the top of the list, since... if I'm going to tear a motor in half, I might as well replace it with a better half....

So i'm going through all the parts, and I asked this a few weeks ago, but what is the xr600r/xr650l rod and piston combo that works and gives a performance boost? Assume all stock parts, and then any aftermarket. I have the 650 and 600 jugs and pistons and rods to swap out. not sure I want to spend 400$ on the middle end just now.
Are you going to have that thing back together for the May 5/6 ride?
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #40469
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,824
Beechum,


OLD NEWS

The hot ticket is a 100mm or 101mm JE XR600 piston in a XRL engine.

I called Ben at cyclecentralpowersports about a month ago and we discussed the stores closing down of the online part of the business. I called last week as they are still online and although they won't do any online orders Ben said any phone orders would get the online prices "for a while"
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #40470
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Are you going to have that thing back together for the May 5/6 ride?
that's the plan, though I'm not sure that I'm going to make the ride just now. I'm chasing for a team in the MX1K the previous week....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Beechum,

The hot ticket is a 100mm or 101mm JE XR600 piston in a XRL engine.
I called Engine Dynamics. Going to send a jug up there....

and... one mo gain... why the 600 instaed of the 650 102mm?
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014