Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #40486
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadexcuse4s10 View Post
after taking the drz for a spin last week, it was like riding a quarter horse instead of an XRL clydesdale!

sure it didn't have the grunt of a high compression xrl, but the drz was so much more agile. I do believe I'll have to stiffen up the ass end of it though, my 210lb ass can squat that thing down like a kia with 4 fat chicks!

Quarter horses have no stamina My buddy just bought an L after owning a DRZ. He says it's nice not to shift all the time and the L is less "buzzy". Full loaded the L carries stuff without upsetting its handling nearly as much too. Quarter horses can't carry a load, Clydes can
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #40487
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
On the XR650L I bought, that bolt was stripped and of course the valve cover was leaking. I was able to get a stick of 6mm all-thread and catch good thread left in the barrel. I got lucky.

RZ Rob

hmmm.... worth trying. At least until I get the rebuild done. I'm scurred of the bottom end. it's in pieces.... but with the nx2nd and kicker, so i'll be happy when it's back together and kicking ass.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #40488
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
after taking the drz for a spin last week, it was like riding a quarter horse instead of an XRL clydesdale!

sure it didn't have the grunt of a high compression xrl, but the drz was so much more agile. I do believe I'll have to stiffen up the ass end of it though, my 210lb ass can squat that thing down like a kia with 4 fat chicks!
Blasphemy!! The Honda gods shall strike you down
That being said the DR is a great bike. I have ridden a few and they do get buzzy at speed, but they are definitely better in the tight stuff.
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #40489
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Ffffaaaaaark!

So... I left from school headed home this morning, stopped every 30-50 miles to stretch and check on my bike, to make sure nothing was leaking or whatever. After my second to last stop, everything looked good, then about 15-20 miles later my bike started losing power, then I looked behind me and saw a big blue cloud of smoke(that got really bad when using engine braking). When I stopped it was dripping with oil.

I got to a parking lot 30 feet away, and checked the oil level, it was about an inch from the bottom of the stick. I added 1/2 a quart and was about to check the new level (I loosen the dipstick, then just hold it down while the bike runs for a minute) but it shot the cap off and puked oil all over the damn place.

I fear the worst, and I don't have any idea what could have caused what ever happened, but with my luck....

I'm letting the thing cool off right now... and I don't know where I should start looking.

Any and all help is appreciated. I'm going to have a beer now.

-Barron
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #40490
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,188
Did you check for oil flow at the banjo bolt for the head feed line at first start up? You may have had the oil pump cavitate and pump all of the oil into the frame and not pick it up from the frame down tube. Did the oil hose from the frame to the engine get twisted when it was tightened to the lower screen on the down tube? You may have to pull the top end to check for damages, head and cylinder.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #40491
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Did you check for oil flow at the banjo bolt for the head feed line at first start up? You may have had the oil pump cavitate and pump all of the oil into the frame and not pick it up from the frame down tube. Did the oil hose from the frame to the engine get twisted when it was tightened to the lower screen on the down tube? You may have to pull the top end to check for damages, head and cylinder.
Yeah man,

I pressurized the oil tank, and checked the bolt for oil flow, and it was good, the hose from the frame to the head looked fine but after it cools off I'm ganna give it a good look. I just wish I had more gaskets...

-Barron
Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #40492
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I added 1/2 a quart and was about to check the new level (I loosen the dipstick, then just hold it down while the bike runs for a minute) but it shot the cap off and puked oil all over the damn place.
I'm just thinking about what wold cause a build up of pressure into the frame tank. Could the screen at the bottom be plugged, causing the oil to not train out the bottom, and the pressure to rise as it is being pumped in at the top? I know there is another screen in the side of the crank case, ant it rarely gets checked. But I would think a build up of pressure in the case would be vented at the crank case vent.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #40493
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
So... I left from school headed home this

Any and all help is appreciated. I'm going to have a beer now.

-Barron
Daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn!

A beer is a good idea, but it still won't help the bike.
I have a nice pumpkin ale fermenting, I'll give you a call when it's done.
I think I'm going to try kegging, tired of bottling.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #40494
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all...

Well,

I know the side screen was good and clear two weeks ago, I will check the one on the front though...

I got it running and there was smoke coming out of the crank case breather tube, I'm guessing that's not good...

Here's a pic of my spark plug after 400 miles

-Barron
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #40495
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,188
Toast

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #40496
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Toast

Yeah... shit. I'm gonna take it apart now. FWIW, the oil is still spewing out of the banjo like it's supposed to...

I just might set a record for four letter words used in one day, did I mention that it's raining and I don't have a garage?

-Barron
Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #40497
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Yeah... shit. I'm gonna take it apart now. FWIW, the oil is still spewing out of the banjo like it's supposed to...

I just might set a record for four letter words used in one day, did I mention that it's raining and I don't have a garage?

-Barron
I would offer mine since it's not far away, but wife keeps filling it with shit. Oh, and I just put another xr in it, yea me!
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #40498
R55ert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Changing Fork Oil

When changing ones fork oil would you refill it with what is specified, 19.1 ozs, or put in what came out, approximately 17.5 ozs. I know the argument can be made that the level was never right to begin with, What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob
R55ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #40499
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
well boys I'm venturing to the dark side, bought my little bro's 2006 drz400s with 10k miles. The damn thing looks brand new, has a rack/tool kit already, and is jetted/piped/3x3 mod, runs awesome. I'm going to turn this thing into a mid distance trail/camping/highway runner with a kolpin fuel can, side racks, possibly a windshield and gps mount if I see one i like. I think the 75lb weight reduction over my loaded up xrl will help me out alot on the trails, I'm no spring chicken anymore!

I'm keeping the old 10.5:1 comp '93 XRL around for a local runner and trail pig though, going to take a little time with her and toss in some valve seals soon and freshen up the 20 year old forks. Then dog the shit out of it
I had a plated offroad model KLX400, the green version of the DRZ (the bike in my avatar pic), and it was way nicer on trails but not as nice on slab. It was a quicker motor but needs an overdrive for hwy use. The stock seat was way worse than the xrl. They are different animals but either will meet many needs for street and offroad.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #40500
sadexcuse4s10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
I had a plated offroad model KLX400, the green version of the DRZ (the bike in my avatar pic), and it was way nicer on trails but not as nice on slab. It was a quicker motor but needs an overdrive for hwy use. The stock seat was way worse than the xrl. They are different animals but either will meet many needs for street and offroad.
very true, it is defenitely like riding a 2x4 after a hundred miles or so.

my first choice would have been a plated xr400, but those are a little tough to comeby around here. And my little bro "needs" the cash to get some bigass wheels/tires for his new jeep since i bought him a lift kit for us to throw on it.

it has been geared just a little, tops out around 85-88 on slab so it has a little more grunt on the trails. I don't really go faster than 75 on the highway though, I'm a trail/backroad bandit and it seems to work great for that
sadexcuse4s10 is offline   Reply With Quote