ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #40591
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wattner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Treasure Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
So that's why you put a 400 cooler on Wattner's bike?
Funny I check in now.... We thought with the big fin head, the Van Pelt and/or Mark's may be overkill... Especially since we have discussed jetting a little fat (rich) to keep the motor cool.

Without the Big Fin head, either one of the coolers would have been bolted on, in fact, we have one of each. They are excellent quality and recommended!

One of these days I will update the thread and show some of the running temps that I have been logging... That work stuff gets in the way of fun

ALSO..... Are the new CW build engines using ZDDP? The STP oil treatment is full of ZDDP, and then I use Royal Purple Synthetic as well....
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #40592
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,210
To my engine...

You're off to see the Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of Pigs.
You'll find he is a whiz of a Wiz! If ever a Wiz! there was.
If ever oh ever a Wiz! there was The Wizard of Pigs is one because,
Because, because, because, because, because.
Because of the wonderful things he does.
You're off to see the Wizard. The Wonderful Wizard of Pigs

-Barron
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #40593
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
I hate the ones I can see clearly, but still manage to fall into.Same phenomena as black holes I think.
Dont make eye contact! As soon as you acknowledge a rut, you are hosed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #40594
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
You're off to see the Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of Pigs.
You'll find he is a whiz of a Wiz! If ever a Wiz! there was.
If ever oh ever a Wiz! there was The Wizard of Pigs is one because,
Because, because, because, because, because.
Because of the wonderful things he does.
You're off to see the Wizard. The Wonderful Wizard of Pigs

-Barron
You can do what you want but lay off my existential bluuuuuuuuees
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #40595
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Dont make eye contact! As soon as you acknowledge a rut, you are hosed.
Sad but true. If you look at it, you're gonna hit it. Doesn't matter if it's a rock or a tree, and it doesn't matter if you're on a motorcycle or a mountain bike, the strange almost hypnotic powers of attraction these bastardly objects have over us is mesmerizing.

-Barron
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #40596
kenny61
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Romaniacs 2019
Oddometer: 23,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Dont make eye contact! As soon as you acknowledge a woman, you are hosed.

fixed
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age
Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #40597
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 290
Tried the Front wheel swap

I swapped out my xr400 front caliper today and put it on my L and ran the xr400/600 front wheel with no real issues I did have to add one washer to each of the caliper mounting bolts in the middle because the rotor was rubbing pretty good on the pads without it and the washer moved it over just enough to prevent this.

Any you guys got a ratty old ugly left side panel in still usable shape you don't need, I'm looking to purchase one? I don't really need the snaps if you don't have them, but I would take them if you don't need them also. thanks
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #40598
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer
 
mendoteach's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Mendocino, NorCal
Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Funny I check in now.... We thought with the big fin head, the Van Pelt and/or Mark's may be overkill... Especially since we have discussed jetting a little fat (rich) to keep the motor cool.

Without the Big Fin head, either one of the coolers would have been bolted on, in fact, we have one of each. They are excellent quality and recommended!

One of these days I will update the thread and show some of the running temps that I have been logging... That work stuff gets in the way of fun

ALSO..... Are the new CW build engines using ZDDP? The STP oil treatment is full of ZDDP, and then I use Royal Purple Synthetic as well....
I bought eight small bottles from ebay (in Spud's honor–I know Spud won't say it, but this emoticon means "check this shit out")

http://www.zddppluscentral.com/

I mixed a bottle in with the dino oil I'm using for breakin-in. I plan on always using it (or something similar) forever, but I will only use half a bottle. New cam should be here tomorrow I think I will probably run the non-snyh for 1,0000 miles and do a leak down. Once the engine is as tight as it is going to get on to synthetic. I think I am going to go with the Mobil for V-twins. Barron, out of curiosity what weight oil were you running?

mendoteach screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 09:40 PM
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #40599
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer
 
mendoteach's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Mendocino, NorCal
Oddometer: 1,365
FWIW, I had Mark Sutton send me the oil by-pass for the Jagg cooler used in his work of art cooler. The bu-pass valve is is made by Jagg and just circulates the oil without going to the cooler with just a simple half turn of the vavle. I will make sure not to open it up until I hit 220 or so and then will notice how much the temp drops once the cooler is brought online. I'll keep everyone updated.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #40600
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
You're off to see the Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of Pigs.
You'll find he is a whiz of a Wiz! If ever a Wiz! there was.
If ever oh ever a Wiz! there was The Wizard of Pigs is one because,
Because, because, because, because, because.
Because of the wonderful things he does.
You're off to see the Wizard. The Wonderful Wizard of Pigs

-Barron

Sooooooooooooooo....still drinking huh......





B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #40601
Cumbacheech
XRated
 
Cumbacheech's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Bolton, ON
Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
FWIW, I had Mark Sutton send me the oil by-pass for the Jagg cooler used in his work of art cooler. The bu-pass valve is is made by Jagg and just circulates the oil without going to the cooler with just a simple half turn of the vavle. I will make sure not to open it up until I hit 220 or so and then will notice how much the temp drops once the cooler is brought online. I'll keep everyone updated.
Do you guys know what normal operating temps should be? I just put the temp guage on my bike and am starting to obsess over temps...
__________________
2001 XR650L - Done for now...!!

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #40602
techforlife
CDI REPAIR
 
techforlife's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton,New Brunswick
Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
FWIW, I had Mark Sutton send me the oil by-pass for the Jagg cooler used in his work of art cooler. The bu-pass valve is is made by Jagg and just circulates the oil without going to the cooler with just a simple half turn of the vavle. I will make sure not to open it up until I hit 220 or so and then will notice how much the temp drops once the cooler is brought online. I'll keep everyone updated.
I`ve got Marks oil cooler........and have had the oil by-pass on it since i installed the cooler,,,it works......i`ve noticed about a 20 degree drop in oil temps on the highway on long runs,it`s nice to be able to shut the cooler off when you like at the turn of the knob...





B
__________________
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #40603
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain
 
KyoXR's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadexcuse4s10 View Post
that shit is nationwide! they think they're being all "economical" with their 40mpg kia

too bad it only gets 20 with 1000lbs. of ass in front and 100lbs. of bonbons and moomoos in the trunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Do you find yourself falling into black holes frequently?
X2 LOL!
__________________
2007 XR650L,
Looking to acquire a stock XRL choke plunger.
The multi-quote function is your friend.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #40604
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I`ve got Marks oil cooler........and have had the oil by-pass on it since i installed the cooler,,,it works......i`ve noticed about a 20 degree drop in oil temps on the highway on long runs,it`s nice to be able to shut the cooler off when you like at the turn of the knob...





B

Thats Sweet!

Got a link for a lazy oldman...


MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #40605
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Do you guys know what normal operating temps should be? I just put the temp guage on my bike and am starting to obsess over temps...
Where is it?

Tapatalk on my phone.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014