Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #40816
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
When you say the cables, do you mean the throttle cables or the throttle and the choke? When you pull the choke cable out a little piece is going to fall off the end of the cable so be ready and catch it.

-Barron
I'm talking about the two cables on the circular thinger on the right side. Nothing fell that I'm aware of. I disconnected the bracket itself from the carb if that's what you're referring to?

I don't know if i have to pull out the entire carb to get to the jets now, or if I can easily access them and clean them with the carb still partially attached. Not sure what I'm looking for, and the diagram is s bit complex that I'm looking at.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #40817
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,662
Quote:
Does anyone have an oil line (long one in front that goes from the frame to the engine) that they could part with? If so please PM me.

-Barron

The steel tube one? I have it.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #40818
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
I'm talking about the two cables on the circular thinger on the right side. Nothing fell that I'm aware of. I disconnected the bracket itself from the carb if that's what you're referring to?

I don't know if i have to pull out the entire carb to get to the jets now, or if I can easily access them and clean them with the carb still partially attached. Not sure what I'm looking for, and the diagram is s bit complex that I'm looking at.
It would be better to take it out, it will make the rest of the job much easier. On the left side there is a black cable that threads into the carb like a bolt, that is the choke cable and that is the one with the little piece on the end.

If all you want to do is clean the jets, you can leave most of the hoses in place on the carb.

If you have the throttle cables off, the only other things connecting it to the bike are the intake (the black rubber piece that connects the carb to the engine, the throttle cable I mentioned earlier, the fuel line that is on the left side of the bike (just follow it from the gas tank) and the rubber thing from the airbox. All of those are easy, and one they are off take the carb out, turn it over remove the four screws on the bottom of the bowl, remove the bowl (the outside bottom of the carb) and you should see your float and jets. Be careful here, the float has a hinge pin that likes to fall out and hide... there is also another thing attached to the float that may fall out or off so be careful of that too.

I just thought about it, and if you go here, there are great pics of what you will be looking at, along with one of the best mods for the bike....

look at pics 9 and 10

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

-Barron
Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #40819
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
The steel tube one? I have it.

Sweet! PM sent
Old 03-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #40820
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Quote:
It would be better to take it out, it will make the rest of the job much easier. On the left side there is a black cable that threads into the carb like a bolt, that is the choke cable and that is the one with the little piece on the end.

If all you want to do is clean the jets, you can leave most of the hoses in place on the carb.

If you have the throttle cables off, the only other things connecting it to the bike are the intake (the black rubber piece that connects the carb to the engine, the throttle cable I mentioned earlier, the fuel line that is on the left side of the bike (just follow it from the gas tank) and the rubber thing from the airbox. All of those are easy, and one they are off take the carb out, turn it over remove the four screws on the bottom of the bowl, remove the bowl (the outside bottom of the carb) and you should see your float and jets. Be careful here, the float has a hinge pin that likes to fall out and hide... there is also another thing attached to the float that may fall out or off so be careful of that too.

I just thought about it, and if you go here, there are great pics of what you will be looking at, along with one of the best mods for the bike....

look at pics 9 and 10

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

-Barron
Thank you sir! I'll check into it. I'm going to finish up tomorrow. It's only 42 out right now in Michigan and dropping cause its getting late. My ass is starting to freeze from sitting on the garage floor for too long. tomorrow ill finish it up. I just unscrew the jets to clean, right? Should I clean anything more than just the jets and the bowl? I got a huge can of high pressure gumout carb and choke cleaner for use. Lol.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #40821
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Btw, is the gasket for the bowl typically reusable? I ask this only because the Honda dealership down the road is full of the not so nice, and I know it'll take at least 4 days to come in.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #40822
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,662
Quote:
Btw, is the gasket for the bowl typically reusable? I ask this only because the Honda dealership down the road is full of the not so nice, and I know it'll take at least 4 days to come in.

Re-usable YES

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #40823
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Thank you sir! I'll check into it. I'm going to finish up tomorrow. I got a huge can of high pressure gumout carb and choke cleaner for use. Lol.
Be sure to wear safety glass when using the carb cleaner, that shit burns bad in the eyes

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #40824
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Laugh New or Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobus View Post
My search will have to continue though! Ive made up my mind that I want this bike, but Im down in South Africa, where the second hand market for xrl's isnt exactly booming! but I now think its worth looking around hey... I am a grease monkey, so the thought of doing up an older one is quite exciting! Will post a pic of whatever I decide! luckily I havent committed to anything yet!

But thanks for the advice! Its surprisingly difficult to get a clear answer from my dealer as to what exactly has changed (now I understand why... :P )
Cobus

You have to think again, we do not have the market for these bikes second hand, you will most probably not get a bike any a good condition.

Unless someone is selling their 2010 + model, then you have to ask yourself why are they selling it. Bikes like these are usually driven hard here.

I looked at this forum long before I bought one.

49k and all my mods so far stands at 12k, so for 61k I have a new bike modded to MY liking. There is nothing else out there that can even remotely compare.

XR fleet is growing in RSA

Regards

Jaco
Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #40825
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
Be sure to wear safety glass when using the carb cleaner, that shit burns bad in the eyes
Noted. Thank you. I'll do that... I got some 5.3million SHU hot sauce in my eyes once. Hotter than police grade pepper spray. At least that was organic. :X
Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #40826
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
New or used

I know there are good deals on used ones (I bought my '99 for $1K), but there's something to be said for new.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #40827
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
I know there are good deals on used ones (I bought my '99 for $1K), but there's something to be said for new.

RZ Rob
when i got my 2000 it was a theft recovery and the insurance company had the dealership put a brand new engine in it then the guy bought a house and moved on, had a babe and you know so i really scored , i think , so ya never know $1000.00

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #40828
Muddaholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
For a stock 2008 L, Im converting to the FCR - whats the jet numbers that you guys who have done this ?

thanx
Muddaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #40829
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddaholic View Post
For a stock 2008 L, Im converting to the FCR - whats the jet numbers that you guys who have done this ?

thanx
Diameter?

Tapatalk on my phone.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #40830
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,469
Spud? you got your own company we don't know about????

http://www.spudbilt.com/Products/tabid/124/Default.aspx

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote