Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #41566
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
That's the ONLY report I have ever heard of, the guy seriously overloaded the stock shock, that was already broken & leaking

So something had to give when the shock bottomed out again & again

The swingarm couldn't take anymore

Don't forget the Xchallenge has been raced & finished the Dakar in recent years, without any major chassis or FI or rad problems

Colebatch has completed real RTW trips on his of over 50,000 km's - without major issues, so have 690 Katooms

I have ridden mine 7000 miles offroad,with no problems

Modern bikes aren't all bad

The chassis & suspension on the Xchallenge is streets ahead of the XRL & then the BMW motor puts out 20hp more in stock form than the XRL & has double the mpg for starters

You guys are really on the defensive - all I stated was that the XRL wasn't for me after a test ride, that's all

Sad, as I love the big H - having had 10 XR250's & 400's over the last 20 years & also currently I have a XR250R and a 4RT Trials bike, with batteryless Honda FI & a rad ( guess that's too much HONDA tech for you guys - lol) - BUT it IS super reliable hi-tech from the big H

The Xchallenge is the best dual sport I have ever owned, it is very fast & stable with great traction offroad

Sounds like you guys need to look over the fence sometimes - all I said was that the XRL wasn't for me, when I have experience of the Xchallenge
You do realize that this is the XR650L thread right? Just want to be clear.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #41567
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,543
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
As my buddy says, "The good thing about fat girls is they'll do anything you want." That about sums up my L. I'll keep her!
If I could only teach mine to cook....
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #41568
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post

a case then

just trying to help

Your on. Next time your up here we WILL have to dedicate some serious time to drinking BEER. instead of this hit and run stuff.

BTW...When will that be?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #41569
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
Quick trail side fix options?......Ok go!
That would be easy! Whittle down a tree limb to stuff inside the swingarm, slather on a good coat of jb weld (everyone in the group will have to give up their stash for this fix), top it off with some duct tape. Ready for the ride home. Same basic fix for a broken femur (except the tree limb goes on the outside!)
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #41570
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
I'm a Newbie Too

So I just want to chime in and say that while I've only owned my stock XRL for a few months, I've found this forum to be incredibly valuable. Through the collective centuries of knowledge here, I was able to get mine sorted quickly and am miles ahead. Thanks everyone.

I also want to say that as a communications guy I've found it quite common that the tone of the written message is often misunderstood - particularly in the forum setting . I've seen it tons of times. That's not to say that there aren't also just a lot of a-holes out there.

Keep up the good work everyone.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #41571
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddaholic View Post
I ask a simple question and get a smart ass answer. So I handed it back, Dont like it ? To bad. When people are asking questions they dont need the blather, they need answers.

A couple months back I asked a question about setting up some kind of index and was bitched at. Decided it aint worth the time to argue. There is a small click of people who drone and or spam about nothing - clogging this post with " private " jokes and general blather. Any one who says anything - reacts anyway not approved by many of the fools that piled on here, the result is obvious.

Like I said - dont like it ? Tough ....
The surgery required is an Optirectomy. You need to have the nerve cut between you eye and your asshole so that you won't have a shitty outlook on things.

If you play with the bull you are going to get gored. Be civil and get a civil response.

No worries, it is just a motorcycle forum. It is supposed to be something you enjoy.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #41572
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,188
OK lads. Back to our normally scheduled program.

Thanks

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #41573
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
I also want to say that as a communications guy I've found it quite common that the tone of the written message is often misunderstood - particularly in the forum setting . I've seen it tons of times. That's not to say that there aren't also just a lot of a-holes out there. .
RZ Rob
I represent that comment in so many ways.

But they will get over it, and if they don't they won't.

Great group, when you really need help you can find it here.

It just don't get no better than this.

Mike
Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #41574
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
got my case guard from mike at manracks, and installed it with jb weld. not sure if he's selling them in the fleamarket/vendor area yet or not, but they are on flebay. me likey...

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one off the manracks website :)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #41575
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Your on. Next time your up here we WILL have to dedicate some serious time to drinking BEER. instead of this hit and run stuff.

BTW...When will that be?

yeah I was bummed, it was down to the minute I managed to pull it off...the boat sale that is...

why dont we up the ante and you guys come down here? food and all the beer you want at my BAR, PLUS!!!!!!!!

we get to ride in the mountains over coffee plantations down to the beach and have some fried fish, then up the rivers, back to the city and have more beer on me

that sounds better to me man! you guys know who you are

the invitation is always open to come on down...

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #41576
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
So I just want to chime in and say that while I've only owned my stock XRL for a few months, I've found this forum to be incredibly valuable. Through the collective centuries of knowledge here, I was able to get mine sorted quickly and am miles ahead. Thanks everyone.

I also want to say that as a communications guy I've found it quite common that the tone of the written message is often misunderstood - particularly in the forum setting . I've seen it tons of times. That's not to say that there aren't also just a lot of a-holes out there.

Keep up the good work everyone.

RZ Rob

this is very true about the TONE of the message, sometimes caps and bold aren't enough, not to mention punctuation, quotations, etc...

its hard...

I do believe however that those new to these forums, should READ MORE than POST MORE as a sign of respect to those that have been on for a long time and add valuable info and topics...throughout the years...

kind of like a cook going into a new kitchen...yeah he might be the sh....t

BUT if he pisses everyone off the first service well that sets the tone and precedent...

whereas if you just look and listen to what is going on and add YOUR part things go much easier and nicely

just my 2 quarters worth of opinions
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #41577
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbacheech View Post
i have front & rear gold valves on my shelf... I may not need the front. Still trying to decide if i am going to do the usd forks...

Cumbacheech

doooooo eeeettt!
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #41578
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Thumb

Indeed this is an awesome collection or xrl pics, ideas, and tech tips. I am a frequent lurker, but seldom can add much more than the seasoned vets of the group contribute. I am the oddball with the xrl in my area, but I don't care because I really love what this bike does... Everything!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #41579
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider11x View Post
indeed this is an awesome collection or xrl pics, ideas, and tech tips. I am a frequent lurker, but seldom can add much more than the seasoned vets of the group contribute. I am the oddball with the xrl in my area, but i don't care because i really love what this bike does... Everything!

x2

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #41580
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
yeah I was bummed, it was down to the minute I managed to pull it off...the boat sale that is...

why dont we up the ante and you guys come down here? food and all the beer you want at my BAR, PLUS!!!!!!!!

we get to ride in the mountains over coffee plantations down to the beach and have some fried fish, then up the rivers, back to the city and have more beer on me

that sounds better to me man! you guys know who you are

the invitation is always open to come on down...

cheers
I am putting this on my bucket list! Only problem is the list is getting bigger & at almost 72 the time is getting shorter
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote