Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #41611
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
TJ to El Salvidor 2714 miles one way!
I am in Prescott AZ so I will make it an even 2,800. I'm assuming XRL's only I hope? When I turned 50 I rode my bicycle from Chicago to Toronto, just under 1,000 so I have always had a leaning towards what some may consider( unusual)!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #41612
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
That's the ONLY report I have ever heard of, the guy seriously overloaded the stock shock, that was already broken & leaking

So something had to give when the shock bottomed out again & again

The swingarm couldn't take anymore

Don't forget the Xchallenge has been raced & finished the Dakar in recent years, without any major chassis or FI or rad problems

Colebatch has completed real RTW trips on his of over 50,000 km's - without major issues, so have 690 Katooms

I have ridden mine 7000 miles offroad,with no problems

Modern bikes aren't all bad

The chassis & suspension on the Xchallenge is streets ahead of the XRL & then the BMW motor puts out 20hp more in stock form than the XRL & has double the mpg for starters

You guys are really on the defensive - all I stated was that the XRL wasn't for me after a test ride, that's all

Sad, as I love the big H - having had 10 XR250's & 400's over the last 20 years & also currently I have a XR250R and a 4RT Trials bike, with batteryless Honda FI & a rad ( guess that's too much HONDA tech for you guys - lol) - BUT it IS super reliable hi-tech from the big H

The Xchallenge is the best dual sport I have ever owned, it is very fast & stable with great traction offroad

Sounds like you guys need to look over the fence sometimes - all I said was that the XRL wasn't for me, when I have experience of the Xchallenge
There's no way the suspension is better for off-roading with 10.6 inches of travel. You give up something with less than 12" of travel, there's no way around it. Reports I've read indicate the bike gets 10mpg better. That's about right for an fi bike. Buying tanks and racks that function well can sometimes be a pain for FI bikes too. I'm not a Luddite and I am well aware of what's over the fence, it's that most of it doesn't make for a better dual purpose bike than the my CRF front ended, CW750l machine. I still have less into it than most modern bikes and it works better in my opinion. Otherwise, I would've sold mine and bought something else. There may be no bike that has a greater range of what it can be than the L. From the insane trickery of Mike Wattner's L, to the mundane functionality of a stocker, it is what you want it to be.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #41613
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
Yeah I've always wanted to do it too. Kinda like the lottery, it won't happen but it's fun to think it might!
Hey SC Razor,

Chin up! You might be able to make these things happen. Trail Trick's tag line speaks volumes (Google it): "Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños."

PD
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #41614
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Ok, so we have SC-Razer, Barron, AZTom, MCMA, Trailtrick... who else? Guys from the east coast we'll meet you in MX City.

you better be talking seriously guys! jajaja Il be let down if not, and sad! jajaja

couldnt wish for anything more than like minded xr riders to actually RIDE with and have beer with...

down here I feel very much like an outsider, im the only one with a sort of competitive 24 year old bike and design, and I always ride alone...

there is nobody with my same time schedule, work schedule and well I dont enjoy only riding ENDURO

I love to go fast...

anywhoo

STOCKING BEER AS WE SPEAK, JAJAJA well kinda
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #41615
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Christian this is on my bucket list. I've got friends in Arizona where I could leave the truck and ride down. My nephew works at a surf resort in Costa Rica and I would love to visit him as part of the trip. What time of year would be best? Winter is my slower season for work.

John
the good riding season is bout to end...we have torrential rains in US SUMMER MONTHS

its good riding anyways but only in the mornings during this time

the best is october to may

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #41616
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Ok, so we have SC-Razer, Barron, AZTom, MCMA, Trailtrick... who else? Guys from the east coast we'll meet you in MX City.
OK wait, you guys are talking about riding to El Salvador? I've been evaluating Cabo and wondering how I could accomplish that and how many days it would take. I've just about finished rounding up my gear (tent, cot, stove, bags etc.). I'm wondering how most people figure out where gas stops are supposed to be? I've totally been consumed with this since buying my XR a few months ago.

How serious are you guys?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #41617
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
OK wait, you guys are talking about riding to El Salvador? I've been evaluating Cabo and wondering how I could accomplish that and how many days it would take. I've just about finished rounding up my gear (tent, cot, stove, bags etc.). I'm wondering how most people figure out where gas stops are supposed to be? I've totally been consumed with this since buying my XR a few months ago.

How serious are you guys?

RZ Rob
I'm in. Javi is heading down south next April. We'll see if we can get to elsal together. I could get talked into a tip run before then.....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #41618
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
I'm in. Javi is heading down south next April. We'll see if we can get to elsal together. I could get talked into a tip run before then.....
I can go to cabo anytime ,takes 10 days to do it right .
salvador i be ready by april 2013 ,i maybe leave in april o october o 2013 to start the first leg o my trip ,I will ride for 3 months and come back to usa for 6 months and do it again .
Have to keep leaving my dreams .
We us a humans don't actually don't no that to something big sappen to us and open are eyes.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #41619
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey SC Razor,

Chin up! You might be able to make these things happen. Trail Trick's tag line speaks volumes (Google it): "Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños."

PD
You got it , I learn that few years back went my wife was diagnosis with cancer, after she lost the battle took me a year to get back on my feet and I learn the we have to live are dreams went we can ,life is to short for live it in the office 50 + hours a week year after year with out treath are selfs like we deserve .

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #41620
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Rip to the Tip

Quote:
I I could get talked into a tip run before then.....
I may hit you up, If I could get there and back in 9 days (Sat to following Sun.), that'd be great. Might be a tad tight though.

BTW, one of the guys on my Aprilia Forum was one of those guys on that Rip to the Tip series on Fuel.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #41621
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
.... it's that most of it doesn't make for a better dual purpose bike than the my CRF front ended, CW750l machine. I still have less into it than most modern bikes and it works better in my opinion. Otherwise, I would've sold mine and bought something else. There may be no bike that has a greater range of what it can be than the L. From the insane trickery of Mike Wattner's L, to the mundane functionality of a stocker, it is what you want it to be.

+1 I think the availability of farkles, whether performance, reliability or aesthetics is one of the best qualities of the L. It's even cooler that guys here make what I want to do with my bike even easier cause they make the stuff themselves from all the bling and power from CW's shop, to racks from JP, stands from Cigar Mike, coolers from Vanpelt, and LOTS of help from Steve, TFL and many, many others.......

-Barron
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #41622
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post

+1 I think the availability of farkles, whether performance, reliability or aesthetics is one of the best qualities of the L. It's even cooler that guys here make what I want to do with my bike even easier cause they make the stuff themselves from all the bling and power from CW's shop, to racks from JP, stands from Cigar Mike, coolers from Vanpelt, and LOTS of help from Steve, TFL and many, many others.......

-Barron
+1. Also,all Spuds testing and a shout out to the Marks cooler. As well thought out as anything I've ever seen. He should be given an award for the quality of the instructions.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #41623
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
2 questions?

Fellas,

two questions for the collective:

1) My USD swap is done, but was curious, do I need to lube the front axle? waterproof grease?(crf250r front end)

and,

2) For those with Vapor computers, what did you do with the stock dash lights? Just leave them tied up out of the way, or can they be removed from the birds nest of wiring behind the fairing? I currently have the bulbs out and the sockets wrapped and taped.

Thanks
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #41624
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,620
I lube the axle just so it doesnt got frozen. Nothing should be actually spinning on the axle. I dont have the vapor yet but plan on getting one I will also get the dashboard so the harness will get wired to that

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #41625
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Fellas,

1) My USD swap is done, but was curious, do I need to lube the front axle? waterproof grease?(crf250r front end)

Thanks
I smear both of mine w/ grease to keep water away from them plus I put fresh grease in the seals' lips whenever I reinstall the axles. I also never use a power washer on the bike, particularly around the axle seals. Quick-wearing knobbies give a person frequent opportunities to keep an eye on possible axle corrosion problems.
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote