Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #41716
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Question Oil Temperature

Hi Gents

I am not sure what the reason is.

I have installed the XR400 oil cooler that Mike has made me with an temperature sensor in the line that comes out the engine going into the cooler. I still have the meat sensor temperature sensor in my Oil tank cap.

My overall temperature has dropped on the Oil tank sensor from 137c or 278F on the same road, almost same conditions to 102c or 215F, now this is great but I am confused with the readings I get on the Oil Cooler line

The sensor goes into a Vapor Instr

When ~I am idling or riding a single track in 1st gear the 2 temperatures come close together, like in 95c or 203F on the meat oil tank sensor and 88c or 190F on the oil line sensor

But if i drive at 100km/h or 62Mph I get a reading of 105c or 221F on the oil tank sensor but the oil line sensor drops to 65c of 149F

Surely the oil out the engine must be hotter than the oil on the tank after the oil cooler?

The sensor sits in the line right in between the exhaust pipes right below the Spark plug

Could it be cooled so much by air, that quickly? out the engine?

Any suggestions here??

Regards

Jaco
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #41717
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
What affect if any did the larger than 41 have on the bottom. I am running the FCR41 and am very happy with its performance. But I am not looking for more top end speed.

Thanks for all of your work on the L. Amazing!

Mike
The 41 FCR is perfect for a 650/675cc motor..after that you need to go bigger..
There were no loss in bottom end on the big block motors is was actualy better.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #41718
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
How big of a tool tube are you wanting to install? I have seen some pretty good sized units hanging off of the skidplate of XRLs. That's where I have mine... a small one though. I scatter my stuff around on the bike. The few heavy tools and a rag go in the tube. Spare inner tube on the front fender. Lightweight stuff such as JB Weld, tire irons, tire pump and zip ties go in the rear fender bag.
I've been thinking I'd get the agrisupply manual tube. I'd like to be able to find a good way to lock it. I live in a place where it always needs to be secured. I also go on trips that are very far from help. I've considered mounting to the skid plate but worried it would get hit there with some of the riding I do. I definitely plan to lay it down occasionally, so it can't stick out anywhere.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #41719
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Big Jugs

So like I'm planning a big adventure on my XR and feel a need to carry an extra gallon of water and an extra gallon of gas stradling on the back behind my saddlebags along with my sleeping bag, cot, bedroll, tent etc. I'm worried about subframe support and just how I'm going to carry these [Anti-freeze size] jugs.

Anyone here have any experience handling large jugs?

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #41720
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
So like I'm planning a big adventure on my XR and feel a need to carry an extra gallon of water and an extra gallon of gas stradling on the back behind my saddlebags along with my sleeping bag, cot, bedroll, tent etc. I'm worried about subframe support and just how I'm going to carry these [Anti-freeze size] jugs.

Anyone here have any experience handling large jugs?

RZ Rob

I think Manracks will have the "Spud Struts" ready pretty soon. If I would have put the right house number on the package he would probably already have a working set to test out.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #41721
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
damn whos that?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #41722
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
What you can do is bore an FCR41 to a 45mm and it's a bolt on or just get it over and buy a HSR48mm and be done with it.
Will HSR48 throttle wheel clear the frame, and use the stock airbox?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #41723
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
damn whos that?
if you want to know her name, you don't need to know.....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #41724
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I think Manracks will have the "Spud Struts" ready pretty soon. If I would have put the right house number on the package he would probably already have a working set to test out.

Cheers,

Mike
Just sitting here waiting Mike

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #41725
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Just sitting here waiting Mike
I put in the change of address and they should straighten it out. I was lazy and did not put your contact information in. The would have called you when they discovered there was an error.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #41726
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
if you want to know her name, you don't need to know.....

i really do, she looks like that blonde from forgetting sarah marshall! jajaja

anyways hijack over
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #41727
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
clarke fuel tank

Put the Clarke tank on my bike, noticed that the tank is basically resting against the radiator fins on the side of the frame just below the dipstick hole...do I need to do anything there to keep the tank from melting, or is it fine resting there? There are no mounting instructions and I want to be sure. Also looking closely at the lip where the cap screws on, the plastic is full of tiny bubbles, chips, and defects, basically throughout the entire screw portion of the tank (not the cap). I guess it's not going to affect the tank at all, but you'd think they could mold plastic without leaving defects like that in there.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #41728
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,456
Radiator???

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #41729
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_josh View Post
Put the Clarke tank on my bike, noticed that the tank is basically resting against the radiator fins on the side of the frame just below the dipstick hole...do I need to do anything there to keep the tank from melting, or is it fine resting there? There are no mounting instructions and I want to be sure. Also looking closely at the lip where the cap screws on, the plastic is full of tiny bubbles, chips, and defects, basically throughout the entire screw portion of the tank (not the cap). I guess it's not going to affect the tank at all, but you'd think they could mold plastic without leaving defects like that in there.
Hey Josh,

Jaco Smith did a nice gallery of his install--you can see it here. https://picasaweb.google.com/1161725...eat=directlink

Your tank should have come with some foam pads; wrap them around the frame, and zip-tie them onto the frame. The tank will fit snugly with the foam, the single bolt, and using either the coat hanger (or homemade cross members) to hold the tank in the front. Your tank should not rest against the fins. (You do still have the Front Fuel Tank Rubbers, right? Part #17611-MG2-000. If so, the Clarke tank should be nice and snug.)

I can't comment about the bubbles, &c. in the plastic moulding. My tank is very well made.

PD
Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #41730
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
On the right side of the frame just below the dipstick is a black hunk of metal with fins on it sticking out. It looks for all the world like it's meant to radiate heat out and so cool the oil in the frame, which would mean it probably gets hot while riding. If it's something completely different, well, there's a reason I'm asking questions and not answering them.