Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #41746
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,922
Are you sure you are correct in what is in and out? If it is that just dont make sense
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #41747
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Are you sure you are correct in what is in and out? If it is that just dont make sense
Yes, The sensor is in the long line that comes out the bottom of the engine, it goes up and into the cooler, then out the cooler is a short pipe that goes into the frame just below the filler cap,

As I then see it there is a short line near the bottom of the frame that goes into the engine

There are 2 pipes that go into the engine, the long one and a short one, my understanding is that the short one feeds from the frame tank into the engine

I am as confused here with the temperature readings as can be

Unfortunately I am not close to the bike now, so will get some pictures later
Rum is the bad boy of booze. The pirates of the Caribbean weren't drinking vodka. The British navy wasn't run on "amaretto, sodomy and the lash." The smugglers who risked death to bring in illegal alcohol to the thirsty citizens of the U.S. during Prohibition weren't called "spritzer runners."
XR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #41748
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Soooo, what is the collective wisdom on this modification (relocating and/or resizing the Regulator/Rectifier)? Especially considering the Shorai Battery Relocation, has this modification taken hold??

I get it that the rectifier changes the 3-phase AC signal into DC (the opposite of an inverter, right?), and the regulator ensures that the proper voltage gets sent to the battery for recharging. By installing a more efficient unit, would that simply reduce the amount of resistance sent to the Reg/Rec unit (thus both reducing heat discharge as well as making make more wattage available for other uses)? What I am wondering is whether a more efficient Reg/Rec would free up some wattage, to power some more heated gear.

I know that somebody is going to pile onto me with a lecture about volts, watts, and amps. I am all ears--please instruct.

PD
Like.

The reason I want to do this is to make room to add XR600R style fuel tank mounts.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #41749
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
new Honda owner

well after 15 years I sold my BMW R100GS PD, it was time for a change, after searching the web and comparing cycles, with the help of the dealer giving me a price I wanted I am now the owner of a 2012 XR650L, I just wanted to introduce myself as I get more into dual sport riding (taking it easy at first). So anyone in the Albany, NY area that could suggest some rides I'd appreciate it.

thanks
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #41750
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirkswamper View Post
well after 15 years I sold my BMW R100GS PD, it was time for a change, after searching the web and comparing cycles, with the help of the dealer giving me a price I wanted I am now the owner of a 2012 XR650L, I just wanted to introduce myself as I get more into dual sport riding (taking it easy at first). So anyone in the Albany, NY area that could suggest some rides I'd appreciate it.

thanks

Welcome to the XRL, you will enjoy it
Rum is the bad boy of booze. The pirates of the Caribbean weren't drinking vodka. The British navy wasn't run on "amaretto, sodomy and the lash." The smugglers who risked death to bring in illegal alcohol to the thirsty citizens of the U.S. during Prohibition weren't called "spritzer runners."
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #41751
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,058
As far as Lex's rewiring the R/R in a more direct fashion, he is not the only one. It is a big mod for Triumph Tiger pre 07s for more watts. I haven't done it to my 06 Tiger because at it last service I had the dealership test it and said it was well within specs. I know electrical parts don't slowly die out, but usually work perfectly until you are in the middle of now where and just go puff. But didn't see the need at the time. It very well may get done on the Tiger and XRL when I electrical skills get better.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #41752
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,922
Quote:

thanks

make friends here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672160

here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752912

and here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8256&page=1249

we're a quirky bunch but harmless (well most of the time).. You will find plenty of rides and events throughout the year
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #41753
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L View Post
Hi

The problem is the sensor is in the line that comes out the engine before it goes into the cooler
You might want to compare with Spud's set up and readings
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=781962&page=5
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #41754
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,490
Quote:

thanks

Strong suggestion, spend a week and read the entire thread!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #41755
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Strong suggestion, spend a week and read the entire thread!
Best Advice ever, I am actually going through it again and making a file with links for myself for future reference
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #41756
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,379
Quote:
Yes, The sensor is in the long line that comes out the bottom of the engine, it goes up and into the cooler, then out the cooler is a short pipe that goes into the frame just below the filler cap,

As I then see it there is a short line near the bottom of the frame that goes into the engine

There are 2 pipes that go into the engine, the long one and a short one, my understanding is that the short one feeds from the frame tank into the engine

I am as confused here with the temperature readings as can be

Unfortunately I am not close to the bike now, so will get some pictures later
Sounds like a calibration issue. Put both sensors in boiling water and see what the difference is. They may read claose at a lower temp.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #41757
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,379
Quote:
Best Advice ever, I am actually going through it again and making a file with links for myself for future reference
WTF happened to the index several of us helped make???
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #41758
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Soooo, what is the collective wisdom on this modification (relocating and/or resizing the Regulator/Rectifier)? Especially considering the Shorai Battery Relocation, has this modification taken hold??

I get it that the rectifier changes the 3-phase AC signal into DC (the opposite of an inverter, right?), and the regulator ensures that the proper voltage gets sent to the battery for recharging. By installing a more efficient unit, would that simply reduce the amount of resistance sent to the Reg/Rec unit (thus both reducing heat discharge as well as making make more wattage available for other uses)? What I am wondering is whether a more efficient Reg/Rec would free up some wattage, to power some more heated gear.

I know that somebody is going to pile onto me with a lecture about volts, watts, and amps. I am all ears--please instruct.

PD
The alternator always puts out max power (since the L has a permanent magnet alternator), what the bike doesn't need gets dumped by the regulator as heat.

A smaller regulator would just cook itself trying to dissipate the power.

The upside to a permanent magnet alternator is you can bump-start with a dead battery or no battery.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #41759
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
WTF happened to the index several of us helped make???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451212

It died when Raven sold her bike. She was the driver and only one who could edit it. I seem to remember some upset/dispute she got into and then disappeared.

It would be a big help to new folks but a huge undertaking to accomplish.

John

Sourjon screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 01:31 PM
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #41760
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
Explanation of what you've done?
Digital oil temperature gauge!

I got a bolt the same size as the stock dipstick screw, drilled a hole through it, and used a high range digital meat thermometer as the dipstick. I used JB Weld to secure it there and threw on an o-ring on the bolt, and poof. I now can tell how hot my bike is running at all times.