Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #41761
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirkswamper View Post
well after 15 years I sold my BMW R100GS PD, it was time for a change, after searching the web and comparing cycles, with the help of the dealer giving me a price I wanted I am now the owner of a 2012 XR650L, I just wanted to introduce myself as I get more into dual sport riding (taking it easy at first). So anyone in the Albany, NY area that could suggest some rides I'd appreciate it.

thanks
Here's a link to a bunch of websites and such that I've collected in modding my XRL

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2038.0
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #41762
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,317
haha I jus googled that up last night

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #41763
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,565
Like this too:
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #41764
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Digital oil temperature gauge!

I got a bolt the same size as the stock dipstick screw, drilled a hole through it, and used a high range digital meat thermometer as the dipstick. I now can tell how hot my bike is running at all times.
And now you know when your motor is fully cooked too.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #41765
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Soooo, what is the collective wisdom on this modification (relocating and/or resizing the Regulator/Rectifier)? Especially considering the Shorai Battery Relocation, has this modification taken hold??

I get it that the rectifier changes the 3-phase AC signal into DC (the opposite of an inverter, right?), and the regulator ensures that the proper voltage gets sent to the battery for recharging. By installing a more efficient unit, would that simply reduce the amount of resistance sent to the Reg/Rec unit (thus both reducing heat discharge as well as making make more wattage available for other uses)? What I am wondering is whether a more efficient Reg/Rec would free up some wattage, to power some more heated gear.

I know that somebody is going to pile onto me with a lecture about volts, watts, and amps. I am all ears--please instruct.

PD
there are a few of use who have switched over to a Mosfet R/R, it's supposed to be more efficient and run cooler, one of the reasons I switched to it, I run heated gear and wanted more power,

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The alternator always puts out max power (since the L has a permanent magnet alternator), what the bike doesn't need gets dumped by the regulator as heat.

A smaller regulator would just cook itself trying to dissipate the power.

The upside to a permanent magnet alternator is you can bump-start with a dead battery or no battery.

"A smaller regulator would just cook itself trying to dissipate the power." true but It turns out that the heavier the load, the cooler it runs which makes sense because the power is going to the draw rather then getting turned into heat.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #41766
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
there are a few of use who have switched over to a Mosfet R/R, it's supposed to be more efficient and run cooler, one of the reasons I switched to it, I run heated gear and wanted more power,

"A smaller regulator would just cook itself trying to dissipate the power." true but It turns out that the heavier the load, the cooler it runs which makes sense because the power is going to the draw rather then getting turned into heat.
Thanks to both of you.

I already run Gerbings heated gloves during the cold months (October to June....), and would like to also power a heated liner. I am close to the bubble on this. I have toyed with changing the headlight assembly to some smaller load aftermarket, to free up some watts. How much extra wattage did the Mosfet R/R provide?

Your point about the higher load going to the extra heated gear is correct only for cold weather rides; unless you load the system with other equipment, the fixed power output from the alternator (186W if memory serves) would indeed fry a smaller R/R. Do I have this right?

PD
Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #41767
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Question

I'm looking for a vehicle to haul my XR long distances. While I could simply ride those distances, for those that are hardcore hare scramblers, driving 300 miles one way to hare scramble for 14 hours, then drive 300 miles back is a lot of wear and tear on a person.

The vehicle I'm looking to get is a work van; in specific, something about the size of a Ford E-350. I'm thinking I may go this route so I can pull my bike out at night and chain it up while I sleep in the back of the van.

Does anyone by chance know if an XR650L will fit in the back of one of these big ass conversion work vans?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #41768
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
I'm looking for a vehicle to haul my XR long distances. While I could simply ride those distances, for those that are hardcore hare scramblers, driving 300 miles one way to hare scramble for 14 hours, then drive 300 miles back is a lot of wear and tear on a person.

The vehicle I'm looking to get is a work van; in specific, something about the size of a Ford E-350. I'm thinking I may go this route so I can pull my bike out at night and chain it up while I sleep in the back of the van.

Does anyone by chance know if an XR650L will fit in the back of one of these big ass conversion work vans?
I had a 15 passenger Ford Econoline van. The bike just barely fit as long as I took off the mirrors. That was with ATV high bars too, so with lower bars it should fit fine. Its fun getting it in there too being as it has a roof on it. Not a problem though. Although I don't know how the size compares to a Ford E-350.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #41769
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post

A smaller regulator would just cook itself trying to dissipate the power.
Quote:

Apologize for the remedial questions, as I am not much of an electrics person.

OK, starting to get the basics. Bummer that it is not possible to reduce physical size, it would give me more flexibility in mounting. As I am still finding my way, if anyone has suggestions for how to choose a replacement, specs, etc. that would be great. FWIW it seems Shindengen builds most of the OEM ones.

I did find a good layman's summary here: http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums...why-how-25117/

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #41770
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,296
Quote:

Yes it will. and as stated without the mirrors so it will clear the rear door roof line.
Or you can load it like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYeu5...yer_detailpage

truck6driver screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 08:29 PM
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #41771
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Yes it will. and as stated without the mirrors so it will clear the rear door roof line.

Or there is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYeu5...yer_detailpage
Sweet. thanks. I don't have the tall stalk mirrors.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #41772
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:

Heh, just don't turn anything off.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #41773
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:

Especially with the stock bars. Ya you will be fine. Or you could just unload it like this from a truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Mnvm5HTprCg

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #41774
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyweasel View Post
Hey Stretch, I crashed one just like your white xlr a few years back. Flipped it end over end into a tree head on. Yes....it hurt and I went to the hospital.
Well damn! Mine's still churning along, albeit somewhat sickly. I've been fighting with the dual carbs for nearly 15 years now (bought the bike new in '87), and can't get them running right. I finally got sick of it and bought a Mikuni generic bolt-on 250cc carb on eBay for $36 bucks. I'll have to fabricate an intake manifold, but I've been in tighter spots than that.

I'll post an illustrated write-up soon.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #41775
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:

Is that mirror from Highway Dirt Bikes?