Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #41791
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypert2 View Post
Have 2008 XRL that I haven't started in about a year. Started it yesterday[took a while] and it would run at idle but if you gave it any gas it would die. Any ideas what may be the problem.
The most likly cause is a plugged up carb.
Drain the tank and drain the carb with the screw on the bottom side of the float bowl. You need to lay the bike over on it's clutch side to get all the fuel out of the tank. Put a 1/2 gal of fresh fuel in and try again. The proper amount of Techron fuel system cleaner mixed in with the fresh fuel could work. Worth a try before you tear into it. The slide may be stuck from sitting so long as well. Pull back the air cleaner boot and spray it down with some light oil like RemOil.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #41792
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypert2 View Post
Have 2008 XRL that I haven't started in about a year. Started it yesterday[took a while] and it would run at idle but if you gave it any gas it would die. Any ideas what may be the problem.
your motor is bad. bike is shot. not worth a hundred bucks now. i'll be over in a bit to pick it up.
2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone but not forgotten)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #41793
Stretch67
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The parts manual gives all fastener sizes.
5 x .8
Thanks, Brother.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #41794
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
Sweet. thanks. I don't have the tall stalk mirrors.

Where did you get those mirrors from? I have been trying to buy a pair similar to those from Highway Dirt Bikes, but they wont sell them seperatly .

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #41795
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Where did you get those mirrors from? I have been trying to buy a pair similar to those from Highway Dirt Bikes, but they wont sell them seperatly .

Cumbacheech
Dude, how about this:

Go to your local autoparts store and get one of these

Then cut a piece of metal just big enough to stick one of the things to and run a bolt through, then spray it black stick on the mirror and bend the metal to where you want it.

Second thought, you might want to put two attachment points on the metal piece to keep it from rotating down from the vibrations or if it gets a little loose.

-Barron
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #41796
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Is that mirror from Highway Dirt Bikes?
Nope. HDB inspired. Made by me. :)

I used .90 thick Kydex, cut to shape, then put on blind spot mirrors on the Kydex. Shaved off the lip of the windguard so the Kydex would have something to recess into. I drilled holes through both the Kydex and the wind guard, put a rubber washer on there to cut down on vibration some, and tightened it with a white nylon wingnut. Tucks right into my hand guard when I'm on the trails.

malignity screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 10:22 AM
malignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #41797
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Dude, how about this:

Go to your local autoparts store and get one of these

Then cut a piece of metal just big enough to stick one of the things to and run a bolt through, then spray it black stick on the mirror and bend the metal to where you want it.

Second thought, you might want to put two attachment points on the metal piece to keep it from rotating down from the vibrations or if it gets a little loose.

-Barron
This is essentially what I did. Also, cut the lip off in the wind guard so that when you rotate the Kydex, it snaps into place. This will keep it from rotating. It'll also fold under the lip if you want them folded down.

Also, get ADJUSTABLE ONES! The 360 degree kind.

You can order Kydex at knifekits.com

HDB makes good stuff, but no offense, if they don't want to sell crap individually and want to lose business cause of it, 'eff em. I'll make it my damn self.

Here's them folded down as well as the other side... oh, and do you see my Honda White nylon wing nuts? LOL

Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #41798
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,423
Easy mirrors to bolt on to your handguards...

https://www.denniskirk.com/powermadd...prd/392537.sku

They work well on my XRR and they're cheap.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #41799
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
...HDB makes good stuff, but no offense, if they don't want to sell crap individually and want to lose business cause of it, 'eff em. I'll make it my damn self...
That's ingenious. You did a nice job, Mal.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #41800
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
This is essentially what I did. Also, cut the lip off in the wind guard so that when you rotate the Kydex, it snaps into place. This will keep it from rotating. It'll also fold under the lip if you want them folded down.

Also, get ADJUSTABLE ONES! The 360 degree kind.

You can order Kydex at knifekits.com

HDB makes good stuff, but no offense, if they don't want to sell crap individually and want to lose business cause of it, 'eff em. I'll make it my damn self.

Here's them folded down as well as the other side... oh, and do you see my Honda White nylon wing nuts? LOL

Are they visable when riding? I ran a set of Acerbis mirrors on a previous bike and they vibrated so badly you couldn't see chit in them.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #41801
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Nope. HDB inspired. Made by me. :)

I used .90 thick Kydex, cut to shape, then put on blind spot mirrors on the Kydex. Shaved off the lip of the windguard so the Kydex would have something to recess into. I drilled holes through both the Kydex and the wind guard, put a rubber washer on there to cut down on vibration some, and tightened it with a white nylon wingnut. Tucks right into my hand guard when I'm on the trails.
I just got some kydex the other day or making a couple sheathes. I just had a Duh moment

Thanks for the info
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #41802
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Easy mirrors to bolt on to your handguards...

https://www.denniskirk.com/powermadd...prd/392537.sku

They work well on my XRR and they're cheap.
nice find.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #41803
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
racetechs calculator is bonkers, it said I need 52 and I weigh with gear 170lbs...maybe its because their springs are rated differently but the last thing I would do is spring stiffer...
Springs are rated in load per distance. It would not make sense to rate springs in a different manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
The front forks are from a 2004 CRF250r and have been re-sprung for the heavier motorcycle. The rear shock was removed and sent to Race Tech where they installed a Gold Valve. I am running the stock spring on the rear. I weigh about 185 lbs with the gear you see in the photo.

The jump is not all that high, it is really just a berm meant to make a turn after the table top. Here is a photo of the berm I am jumping with me son in the background, and my nephew in the foreground. Basically, I am landing the table top, slamming on the brakes, then jumping this berm instead of making the turn.

[IMG]I am no expert, but I talked with a lot of suspension people before working on mine. My understanding is that the spring only supports the weight of the rider and motorcycle. Putting a heavier spring will not really prevent you from bottoming out, and will make your ride harsh, as you have described. What is really doing all the work in your suspension is the oil, which is moving from one side of the shim stack to the other. If you are bottoming out, your suspension is allowing the oil to move too freely, and the shim stack needs to be adjusted.
A heavier spring may prevent you from bottoming out. All other things being equal, a heavier spring will provide a higher restorative force for the same amount of compression observed.

I need to get back to repairing my two XRLs.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #41804
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Are they visable when riding? I ran a set of Acerbis mirrors on a previous bike and they vibrated so badly you couldn't see chit in them.
They do vibrate some, but I put the rubber washer in there to help. They work as good as a blind spot mirror should, but I noticed at 70mph on pavement, the wind they catch causes the mirror to start to fold down a tad from wind resistance. I have to kinda squat down a bit to look out of them. They do vibrate more at that speed a bit too, but I'm also running brand new Kenda 760's on pavement -- EVERYTHING vibrates. Lol.

All in all, I only spent $15 or so to make them. I think they look badass, work well for what they are, are convenient and fold down when I need them out of the way. It's one of the better $15 investments I've made. I love them. Way better than the stalk mirrors on single track and have the badass look. I don't mind glancing over my shoulder from time to time.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #41805
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Just popped up on Ebay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-HONDA-XR6...7&vxp=mtr#shId
Olderslowerguy is offline   Reply With Quote