Oddometer: 23,660

Semper Fi!

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #41882
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
It's an old story...but definitely a great story. Oorah!

my6 screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 06:29 AM
my6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #41883
103M 95G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Inmates, I'v been looking for a "Tank bag" for the XR to carry a few items. It had to be installed and removed easily.
well I found something that might be of intrest to other XR riders.
The Maxpedition FR-1 pouch.
http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-02...5677351&sr=8-1

I took the bungie cord from the front and threaded it onto the back. the bungie slips between the seat and the tank, securing the pouch. Inside the pouch I have a small Nikon coolpix camera, my garmin, notepad, pen, lighter, a gerber knife, 2 ziplock sammich bags. on the outside I have a mini maglite and a small led keychain lite. seems to be working out very nicely.

103M 95G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #41884
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
Hey....This Inmate's been holding out on us!

Check out his ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
Here is a picture of the moto-mule on an XR650L, I have about 100 miles on it probably over loaded, and I love it. It pulls great and looks great. I will tell you it draws a lot of attention, I have had people follow me just to take pictures, and ask questions. this thing is Awesome. Get one. Thanks Mike.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #41885
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xplor3 View Post
i have a question. i did search and came up with nothing. so where did you folks relocate the cid box too when you switch to a larger tank, such as the acerbis 5.8. mine wouldn't fit.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=16

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719093

bomber1965 screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 10:58 PM
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #41886
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,207
What kind of tank causes this issue? I have a Clarke 4.7 and it's no problem... I also can't remember ever reading or hearing about this being an issue with the 650L- but I like beer a lot too and sometimes it makes me forget things...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #41887
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
What kind of tank causes this issue? I have a Clarke 4.7 and it's no problem... I also can't remember ever reading or hearing about this being an issue with the 650L- but I like beer a lot too and sometimes it makes me forget things...
I moved mine to get it away from the hot oil tank, not because of any clearance problems. It looks like hell stuck out back the way that it's currently mounted but it runs way cooler. I might have gotten the same results merely by soldering it into the wiring looms, but getting it away from the oil tank's heat probably doesn't hurt.

Maybe it will get moved again if I can motivate my lazy ass to do a Spud-type battery relo.
LexLeroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #41888
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
That's a good question. I have not had that problem with my Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank either.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #41889
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I moved mine to get it away from the hot oil tank, not because of any clearance problems. It looks like hell stuck out back the way that it's currently mounted but it runs way cooler. I might have gotten the same results merely by soldering it into the wiring looms, but getting it away from the oil tank's heat probably doesn't hurt.

Maybe it will get moved again if I can motivate my lazy ass to do a Spud-type battery relo.
So is this a mod just to put it in a cooler location or because there was; or could be an issue? If it was because of an issue, was that issue clearance or heat and has the move fixed it?

-Barron
Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #41890
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,397
Why I Did It

Quote:
So is this a mod just to put it in a cooler location or because there was; or could be an issue? If it was because of an issue, was that issue clearance or heat and has the move fixed it?

-Barron
It's my understanding that the VR's job is to turn excess voltage into heat - the more you're drawing from the system, like big lights and heated gear, the easier life is for your VR. I've got none of that stuff so my VR needs to earn its keep by working hard.

It's also my understanding that heat and vibration are the enemies of electrical stuff, so anything that you can do to minimize their effects is goodness. I can't speak to the XRL but in the VStrom world when the VR goes south it often takes the stator with it - ouch. My guess is that there's a family resemblance in the way that all 3-wire stator / Shindigen VR circuits behave in failure mode.

The photos in my thread don't show it but I mounted my VR on rubber isolation bushings in addition to hanging it out in the breeze. I also soldered the VR into the bike's circuits, getting rid of a lot of wire and some high-resistance connectors that often corrode in the environments in which we use these motorcycles.

Bottom line is that the thing runs cooler and feeds more juice to the battery. I'm hoping that I've reduced the possibility of a VR failure, although it surely is an unattractive fix.
LexLeroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #41891
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Seat

Gents

I am looking for a seat that I can send to Renazco to make me my couch, As I am in South Africa, it is not viable to take my seat to USA and then back.

Anybody out there with a seat pan for sale? The shipping would be to Renazco

Regards

Jaco
Rum is the bad boy of booze. The pirates of the Caribbean weren't drinking vodka. The British navy wasn't run on "amaretto, sodomy and the lash." The smugglers who risked death to bring in illegal alcohol to the thirsty citizens of the U.S. during Prohibition weren't called "spritzer runners."
XR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #41892
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L View Post
Gents

I am looking for a seat that I can send to Renazco to make me my couch, As I am in South Africa, it is not viable to take my seat to USA and then back.

Anybody out there with a seat pan for sale? The shipping would be to Renazco

Regards

Jaco

I think I have one if not more. I'll look when I get off work. James is only an hour away from me. Been there a FEW times...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #41893
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I think I have one if not more. I'll look when I get off work. James is only an hour away from me. Been there a FEW times...
I envy you sir...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #41894
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Oddometer: 148
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

My generally stone-reliable XR was hard to start the other day, and died about 50ft out of the driveway. Ran the battery down trying to restart, but not a backfire or nothing. Have driven it a few times this Spring, but have been commuting on the Silverwing, so I knew it had made it through the winter but it had been sitting a month or so (I'm a weenie, MN mornings are cold and the 'wing has a windshield and stuff).

Replaced the plug. Nothing. Pulled carbs & squirted carb cleaner through jets. nothing. mmm. tried draining carb bowl before pulling the carb again to actually clean it correctly (I'm a hack mechanic). nothing came out. lightbulb flickering in my brain. Turns out float needle was stuck closed; I mean really stuck in there, I had to (gently) pry it out. Runs fine now. hoocoodanode, these things need gas to run....
Dv
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #41895
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Well, I thought I'd successfully done Dave's mod for my carb, but go out this morning and it's leaking gas in the garage. Best I can tell it's just leaking out from around the float bowl, so I guess that means that seal in there needs to be replaced? It looked a little dried out and crumbly in a few spots but I figured it had made it that long...

Hopefully I can get one before Saturday as I'm planning on a two day camping trip with a bunch of ADVers.

Messing with the carb itself was kinda fun, but man getting it in an out of place was a pain in the butt. Especially replacing all those stupid hose clamps in hard to reach places. The little one going into the bottom of the float had me wanting to break things.

If the local Honda shop doesn't have that gasket sitting around what do I need to search to find one online?