Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #41926
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Disconnecting the cables has been the ONLY way I could get the throttle assembled correctly. Otherwise it's hand to hand combat with one arm tied to your back.
That's the way it felt... "How the Fudge am I suppose to juggle all these parts while spoonin' it back together!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremike View Post
West, I didn't see this until now but they are correct that the push cable needs more slack than the pull. If you're having trouble I can help after 2pm tomorrow.
I'm going to pull the tank and try again tonight.... if you see a giant fireball rise above Spencers Butte, you'll know I pushed it outside and dropped a road flare in the tank out of frustration!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #41927
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
OK-
tell me about the front light and fender?
Where did you get your tank decals? Did they stay on the plastic ok? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #41928
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrob View Post
Hi Folks,

I really need the help of you seasoned XRL Xperts.

I'd like to power my GPS and my Cellphone Charger and before I start digging, thought I'd check with you guys first.

Do you think an iPhone 3GS charger and a Garmin Zumo draw a notable amount worth being concerned?

Do you think I can still power any heavy hitters such as a TourMaster Heated Vest?

Is there a convenient "switched power" source near the headlight I can easily tap?

Would also like an "Unswitched" source near the headlight for things like the vest, or a Battery Tender. Should I just go straight to the battery or is there already a beefy wire up near the headlight?

How about a reliable ground source?

Thanks in advance.

RZ Rob
Alternator output is 188W
The headlight is 55W low, 60W high.
Taillight is 8.3W, brake light is 26.9W.
Turn signals are 26.9 watt each.
Instrument light is 3.4W.
High beam indicator is 1.7W

I run everything back to the battery and fuse it. My tender connection is directly off the battery out the back of the box. Short heavy wires that can be used in a pinch to charge from another bike. I run a GPS and heated gloves with no problem. GPS isn't switched because I like to fiddle with it while I'm stopped. Gloves aren't switched because they disconnect as I get off the bike. I'm guessing the vest will pull 50-70 watts which will get you near the limit at speed. My guess at idle you will be draining the battery.

Get a battery monitor or voltmeter for the bike. If you run a lot of electrical crap it will save you. I've had this one on several bikes over the last 5 years with zero problems.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ery-Gauge.aspx

John
Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #41929
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
Put the ole girl on a Shorai diet. I wonder if TSA will let me on a plane with the suitcase... my old Samsonite is getting tired.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #41930
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Your beautiful bike looks even better with the "battery goiter" removed, Red!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #41931
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Put the ole girl on a Shorai diet. I wonder if TSA will let me on a plane with the suitcase... my old Samsonite is getting tired.
Looks good ThumpnRed!! I did the battery rellocation and I really like it. Haven't had a chance to take the bike out for a good ride yet... Did you do the zip ties for the CDI in the air box?

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #41932
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Dave's mod finally done

Hi Everyone,

So I finally finished doing the Dave's Mod... I drilled out the 2 5/32 holes on the bottom of the slide and put in new jets... I ended up using the 58/160. I took the bike out for a Rip and I was very nice!! Bike feels a lot more responsive. I haven't taken the bike for a good ride but based on the short ride the bike feels amazing!
Thanks to everyone who helped me out, Much appreciatedNow hopefully I can free up some time and head out for a nice long ride...

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #41933
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,166
Quote:

Some spiffy looking RED......plan on getting it dirty,or just gonna be a grage queen...

P.S. you got the CW adjusters upside down,,smatern up...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #41934
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Some spiffy looking RED......plan on getting it dirty,or just gonna be a grage queen...

B
I had them flipped around the other way and they didn't look right... sticking straight up. My chain's too short...
Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #41935
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Looks good ThumpnRed!! I did the battery rellocation and I really like it. Haven't had a chance to take the bike out for a good ride yet... Did you do the zip ties for the CDI in the air box?

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
Yep... CDI is in the airbox... ala Spud
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #41936
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Nice bike! What forks are those? Do they use the stock triples?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #41937
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep... CDI is in the airbox... ala Spud
That's the best place for the CDI unit, Red. The CDI takes much less of a beating while resting in the middle of the bike. The air box offers good protection for the CDI unit, and the air flowing into the engine cools the CDI unit.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #41938
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

B
I put them on that way on my bike on purpose. When tightening up the axle they stay against the notch much better. the Yamaha's I have come that way.

Mike
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #41939
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
That's the best place for the CDI unit, Red. The CDI takes much less of a beating while resting in the middle of the bike. The air box offers good protection for the CDI unit, and the air flowing into the engine cools the CDI unit.

Spud
Spud, you're tempting me... ~6K on a stock battery, what should I expect from it before I have to make this decision? Cycle Racks combined with Wolfman side racks makes the left side cover impossible to remove (at least for me). With the hump gone I bet I could get the XRR cover off. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #41940
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
Spud, you're tempting me... ~6K on a stock battery, what should I expect from it before I have to make this decision? Cycle Racks combined with Wolfman side racks makes the left side cover impossible to remove (at least for me). With the hump gone I bet I could get the XRR cover off. Any thoughts?
The stock battery will last a long time, Chip. I bought my Shorai battery even though my stock battery was still good, and I'm glad I made the purchase.

Of course, the aftermarket side racks are designed for the stock bike, with the battery box installed. However, if one fabricates his own side racks, I don't doubt the XRR side cover will be easier to remove, and the load will be more centralized on the bike. However, one still needs to beef up the bike's subframe before he thinks about carrying significant loads back there.

Spud