Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #41956
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Put the ole girl on a Shorai diet. I wonder if TSA will let me on a plane with the suitcase... my old Samsonite is getting tired.
That's a sexy sumbeech!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #41957
mtnpass
Admiral Vag

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
That's a sexy sumbeech!
Agreed. The quintessential XR. Just perfect!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #41958
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Ordered a Manracks Saddle bag rack for my XRL yesterday. Can't wait for it to come!!!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #41959
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Ordered a Manracks Saddle bag rack for my XRL yesterday. Can't wait for it to come!!!
They are VERY nice I can't wait to get back home to get all the lights wired up and post pics...

-Barron

Barron screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 02:18 PM
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #41960
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
that would get me back on the honda! i was concerned about the cam and rocker wear on the xrs my friends and i owned, they seem to be the only thing that wears on the motor. im sure a cw motor would keep going for over 100,000 miles no problem!
Well if I remember right you were one of the few that got tens of thousands of miles out of a Hotcam, and if you can do that the CW additions are not only better, but more sound and made by an inmate that is a great guy .

Come on Kubiak, I know you like making all kinds of stuff for the XRL and it always comes out great.... besides I want you to start making some more of those big a$$ metal tanks then get sick of the and offer them up . Maybe make another dual exhaust.... Sorry man, you do great things and I just want to see more of it

-Barron
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #41961
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Well if I remember right you were one of the few that got tens of thousands of miles out of a Hotcam, and if you can do that the CW additions are not only better, but more sound and made by an inmate that is a great guy .

Come on Kubiak, I know you like making all kinds of stuff for the XRL and it always comes out great.... besides I want you to start making some more of those big a$$ metal tanks then get sick of the and offer them up . Maybe make another dual exhaust.... Sorry man, you do great things and I just want to see more of it

-Barron
yea i rode mostly xrs for almost the last 37 years starting with a 74 xr75. i must have gone through over 50 xrs and never had one blow up on me, the cam was about the worst of it. im trying out the bmw stuff for the next few years and see whats going on with them. i hear great things about the rotax 650 motor, one guy had over 300,000 miles on the original motor! i wish i had enough money to own both but its tight right now!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #41962
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
What's everyone's experience with cheapcycleparts? Ordered a float bowl gasket from them Sunday, payed $30 ( ) for expedited shipping, and it still hasn't shipped. I ordered one from bikebandit as a backup since I've had fast shipping from them before, but they just emailed me that it's on backorder.

On a related note, can I really hurt something using the old leaky gasket? it has several dry crumbly bits, but if I try to ride on it will something break or does it need to be pressurized, or will it just leak gas a bit?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #41963
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_josh View Post
What's everyone's experience with cheapcycleparts? Ordered a float bowl gasket from them Sunday, payed $30 ( ) for expedited shipping, and it still hasn't shipped. I ordered one from bikebandit as a backup since I've had fast shipping from them before, but they just emailed me that it's on backorder.

On a related note, can I really hurt something using the old leaky gasket? it has several dry crumbly bits, but if I try to ride on it will something break or does it need to be pressurized, or will it just leak gas a bit?
Riding with a leaking floatbowl gasket sounds sketchy. Is it leaking?
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #41964
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Did Dave's mod over the weekend. Put it all back together and it was fine, rode around a bit, all that stuff. Came out the next morning and it was leaking gas down on the engine and onto the floor, but it was a very slow leak. Yeah, I probably shouldn't ride on it, but I really want to ride this weekend. There's a bunch of ADVers here around San Diego doing a couple day ride around the county.

Hopefully I'm stressing for nothing and it'll be here by Friday. I'll try calling a few more places....

edit: aw fuck, just got the email from them that it's backordered. Glad it took them 2 days to figure that out after I paid out the ass for expedited shipping.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #41965
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Hey Josh I ordered parts from Cheap Cycle Parts and paid for expedited shipping. Even got the email that it was packed. Called back a week later and all they know is that it was packed, but never shipped. They have no inventory control, told me that somebody else probably got it. Eventually got my expedited shipped refunded and got the part about three weeks after I originally ordered it.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #41966
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Did Dave's mod over the weekend. Put it all back together and it was fine, rode around a bit, all that stuff. Came out the next morning and it was leaking gas down on the engine and onto the floor, but it was a very slow leak. Yeah, I probably shouldn't ride on it, but I really want to ride this weekend. There's a bunch of ADVers here around San Diego doing a couple day ride around the county.

Hopefully I'm stressing for nothing and it'll be here by Friday. I'll try calling a few more places....

edit: aw fuck, just got the email from them that it's backordered. Glad it took them 2 days to figure that out after I paid out the ass for expedited shipping.
If it's not leaking too bad, you may want to try this: take the bowl off and remove the gasket from the groove it sits in. Carefuly clean out the groove of any sealant that may have been holding the old gasket in there. Reinstall the gasket with a VERY LIGHT coat of some red RTV being very careful to clean up any squeeze out that may end up inside the bowl when you put it back together. Put it back together and let it sit for a good 24 hours before you turn the gas on. If you cannot track down a gasket around here before Friday this may be enough to get you through the ride.

AND: have them refund those extra charges for the shipping.
Haywood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #41967
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Yeah I was going to say when are you going to turn out more of those sweet huge metal tanks?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #41968
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,098
Quote:

very slow shipping...wont use them again unless its a big money part and i can save enough to make it worth it. i think it was 7 days to ship last and only time i ordered. my local dealer has stuff for me in 3 days max
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #41969
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
Play the Field

There's noting wrong with CheapCycleParts, but if they ain't got it, they can't ship it. NEVER pay for expedited shipping; you're just asking for trouble. I toggle between them and BikeBandit. I find them both great for OEM. If I recall, BB normally wins overall. When it comes to accessories, I play the field.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #41970
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
If it's not leaking too bad, you may want to try this: take the bowl off and remove the gasket from the groove it sits in. Carefuly clean out the groove of any sealant that may have been holding the old gasket in there. Reinstall the gasket with a VERY LIGHT coat of some red RTV being very careful to clean up any squeeze out that may end up inside the bowl when you put it back together. Put it back together and let it sit for a good 24 hours before you turn the gas on. If you cannot track down a gasket around here before Friday this may be enough to get you through the ride.

AND: have them refund those extra charges for the shipping.

And while you have it apart check that the float needle and seat are clean, and the float is not sticking open.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote