User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #41971
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Gem State Touring

Has anybody done the Tour of Idaho (or, portions of it)? http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm

I see that this Pocatello local (XR650R) did the Poc/Wallace leg in 30 hours (through the night, no support...). I have no such dreams. http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID_31.htm

It is an extremely long ride from Seattle to Snowville (920 miles, enough to make me gag just to think about it), but I might convince myself of the need.

'Tis the season for summertime planning. All advice welcome.

PD
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #41972
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan

Oddometer: 99
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of mounting a trailtech 8" racelight, and vapor gauge.......

Just curious if anyone has any pictures of how they "bundled" the wiring behind the light?

So far, it looks like I will end up tieing them together with velcro straps, and maybe wrapping the whole thing with a flat piece of neoprene to keep out some moisture. Hoping to get an idea of what others had done.

Regards,
XJ
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #41973
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
that would get me back on the honda! i was concerned about the cam and rocker wear on the xrs my friends and i owned, they seem to be the only thing that wears on the motor. im sure a cw motor would keep going for over 100,000 miles no problem!
I have read several reports on here of cam failure. I remember quite a bit of discussion about how to increase oil flow to the head a couple years back, to combat this. Yet my cam has survived two engine melt downs, and is still in good shape. From my bikes history it would seem that the cam is one of the most durable parts in these engines. Go figure.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #41974
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj750guy View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of mounting a trailtech 8" racelight, and vapor gauge.......

Just curious if anyone has any pictures of how they "bundled" the wiring behind the light?

With zips ties and force"

So far, it looks like I will end up tieing them together with velcro straps, and maybe wrapping the whole thing with a flat piece of neoprene to keep out some moisture. Hoping to get an idea of what others had done.

Regards,
XJ
I'm only half kidding above. It's a bitch to get the wiring harness behind those headlights. I did move the placement pegs farther out the fender than they recommend and the light still points down too much. So try that.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #41975
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Has anybody done the Tour of Idaho (or, portions of it)? http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm

I see that this Pocatello local (XR650R) did the Poc/Wallace leg in 30 hours (through the night, no support...). I have no such dreams. http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID_31.htm

It is an extremely long ride from Seattle to Snowville (920 miles, enough to make me gag just to think about it), but I might convince myself of the need.

'Tis the season for summertime planning. All advice welcome.

PD
Never heard of it before. That looks like an AWESOME trail ride!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #41976
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan

Quote:
I'm only half kidding above. It's a bitch to get the wiring harness behind those headlights. I did move the placement pegs farther out the fender than they recommend and the light still points down too much. So try that.
Are you maybe thinking of the plastic X2 style light?

I have the round 8" Race Light, with the tubular aluminum frame. Like this:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=trailt...w=1024&bih=620

Either way, the wires are going to be tough to make look clean, but I probably have more space to play with than the X2 unit would allow.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #41977
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj750guy View Post
Are you maybe thinking of the plastic X2 style light?

I have the round 8" Race Light, with the tubular aluminum frame. Like this:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=trailt...w=1024&bih=620

Either way, the wires are going to be tough to make look clean, but I probably have more space to play with than the X2 unit would allow.

Yeah man, getting it to look clean may not ever happen... What a lot of us have done is make a kind of dash board that covers the top and sides out of metal. I'll look for pics of mine, but if I can't find em I'll post em up this weekend.

-Barron
Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #41978
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Yeah I was going to say when are you going to turn out more of those sweet huge metal tanks?
they are actually kind of fun to make but no time and no xr to build off of right now. it gets me excited when i start projects like that though!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #41979
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
I have read several reports on here of cam failure. I remember quite a bit of discussion about how to increase oil flow to the head a couple years back, to combat this. Yet my cam has survived two engine melt downs, and is still in good shape. From my bikes history it would seem that the cam is one of the most durable parts in these engines. Go figure.

Walter
i was wondering what caused mine to go bad at 42,000 miles, do you let your bike idle for awhile to warm up? i was thinking i used to let it warm up and idle for about 5 minutes before a ride and maybe that caused some oil starvation?
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #41980
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,212
I don't have any pics of mine, but here are the pics I based mine off of, they were posted by mazman808

FWIW... When I made mine I made it from 3 pieces of metal, top left and right instead of one piece like in the pics above. I used wood and vice grips to bend it, then went to either Home Depot or Auto Zone for the stainless screws to attach the pieces to the 4 holes in the light frame. It isn't very hard to do and you can get the metal at Home Depot also. I used card board to mock it up and make the stencil for the metal and I recommend this because getting it bent in the right place was a BIOTCH!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

-Barron
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #41981
xj750guy
on the Baja 7yr plan

Quote:
FWIW... When I made mine I made it from 3 pieces of metal, top left and right instead of one piece like in the pics above. I used wood and vice grips to bend it, then went to either Home Depot or Auto Zone for the stainless screws to attach the pieces to the 4 holes in the light frame. It isn't very hard to do and you can get the metal at Home Depot also. I used card board to mock it up and make the stencil for the metal and I recommend this because getting it bent in the right place was a BIOTCH!
Hi Barron,

I don't know why, but I hadn't even thought of building the side plates like in your pictures...........

I bought the mounting plate for the HID ballast that bolts to the top of the light, and have arranged a panel accordingly, but was too near sighted to think about side "covers" like you did. Pretty sad considering I have a brand new metal brake that I have hardly used. The bends will be easy with that.

Regards
XJ
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #41982
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i was wondering what caused mine to go bad at 42,000 miles, do you let your bike idle for awhile to warm up? i was thinking i used to let it warm up and idle for about 5 minutes before a ride and maybe that caused some oil starvation?

I was told, and have been doing exactly the opposite on the bikes I have had,

in fact I have an aberration for IDLING any bike, more so if its aircooled,

it has to do with being used to 2 stroke outboards that I have had on my boats, youll plug the circuits up in no time if you et them idle long enough

I know it has nothing to do with a fourstroke radial engine on a bike but my point is that the bike will get the HOTTEST when "
warming up, with no airflow, and the lowest oil pump speed.

When warming up, I start the bike and get my helmet on, then I blip it a couple of times softly then go into first, then second and all gears on the streets around here, I try to stay on flat streets...

its the oil flowing around the gears and tranny that will get the oil warm in no time...

after a few minutes I treat the bike like normally...easily though...

not until my second start of the day or 15 minutes or so of riding do I HAMMER IT! jajajaja

but I dont have enough miles on my bike to do any justice to this system other than to think its better than letting it idle and die a tragic death! jajaja

I cant fix what previous owners have done to my bike so some damage is already there! jajajaja

I also remember reading many posts of owners claiming they "warmed" up their bike perfectly so that they would suffer no oil starvation issues etc...

its those owners who use the choke and let the bike sit at idle and choke to warm up, who then say they had a catastrophic failure somewhere somehow Ive noticed...

anywhoo

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #41983
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
I was told, and have been doing exactly the opposite on the bikes I have had,

in fact I have an aberration for IDLING any bike, more so if its aircooled,

it has to do with being used to 2 stroke outboards that I have had on my boats, youll plug the circuits up in no time if you et them idle long enough

I know it has nothing to do with a fourstroke radial engine on a bike but my point is that the bike will get the HOTTEST when "
warming up, with no airflow, and the lowest oil pump speed.

When warming up, I start the bike and get my helmet on, then I blip it a couple of times softly then go into first, then second and all gears on the streets around here, I try to stay on flat streets...

its the oil flowing around the gears and tranny that will get the oil warm in no time...

after a few minutes I treat the bike like normally...easily though...

not until my second start of the day or 15 minutes or so of riding do I HAMMER IT! jajajaja

but I dont have enough miles on my bike to do any justice to this system other than to think its better than letting it idle and die a tragic death! jajaja

I cant fix what previous owners have done to my bike so some damage is already there! jajajaja

I also remember reading many posts of owners claiming they "warmed" up their bike perfectly so that they would suffer no oil starvation issues etc...

its those owners who use the choke and let the bike sit at idle and choke to warm up, who then say they had a catastrophic failure somewhere somehow Ive noticed...

anywhoo

cheers
yea i thought the same thing after seeing my cam and rockers worn. it first got my attention because i couldnt get rid of a ticking sound so i figured it was the autocam device, i bought a hotcam so i could get rid of the auto cam decompression device and when i took it out the device had a lot of play in it and the cam and rockers had scoring. i figured with all the play in the decompression unit it was letting all the oil through the last oiling hole on the cam through it so it was starving the cam of oil. so in went the new hotcam with no decompression unit and i installed a lower oil banjo bolt on the oil return line on the top one which the top bolt has a smaller oil opening so i figured it was restricting oil in the first place. after all that i didnt let the bike idle long, tried to keep the idle high and ran the setup for the next 20,000 miles and the cam looked perfect. then sold the bike.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #41984
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
good stuff man

I remember now its because of your posts about the autodecomp issues that I decided to weld shut the oil hole and get rid of the mechanism on my xr600 cam...so far so good.

cheers
christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #41985
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 687
low boy pipes?? YES please !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
You need to build a CW powered L in Dakar trim. Heck, CW was even going to work on some low boy pipes.
my ride as of this weekend. Dolly Sodds West Virginia. dont ask me whos bags they are......My rack.
I want a baja/PD fairing and low pipes!