Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #42001
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj750guy View Post
Are you maybe thinking of the plastic X2 style light?

I have the round 8" Race Light, with the tubular aluminum frame. Like this:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=trailt...w=1024&bih=620

Either way, the wires are going to be tough to make look clean, but I probably have more space to play with than the X2 unit would allow.
Sorry, I am thinking of the X2 light.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #42002
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i was wondering what caused mine to go bad at 42,000 miles, do you let your bike idle for awhile to warm up? i was thinking i used to let it warm up and idle for about 5 minutes before a ride and maybe that caused some oil starvation?
Normally it is set choke to full, turn key on, get on, retract side stand, hit starter button, set choke to 1/2, put it in gear and go. And then a mile or two down the road try to remember to shut choke off. When on a trip, I try to check and top up the oil every morning, so on those days I let it idle and warm up. I really don't know why mine has held up and others have not. I wish I did.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #42003
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
Side car is 98% complete. All I need is my motor back and I am on the road.

I cant wait
Seriously cool. Now you needs monkey!

Have any of you watched the euros moto these things? Crazy shit.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #42004
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
Humm, never knew this. I always thought it's good to let it warm up and idle for a few minutes before riding.

I thought was that it lets the oil warm up; but if what you're saying is true (oil pump pumps slow @ idle and doesn't lubricate the system well) then I may need to switch my "warm up" habits.

Is there an "official honda" recommended warm up method?

I have about 26k miles on my motor now with no issues. We'll see how it lasts

Mike B
Hey mike

there are many threads and GOOD threads about oil pumps, oil volume, flow, etc...etc...the best ones I have read on here where by ghost mutant and vanpelt guy regarding the oil system on our bikes

there is even a video showing a running xr engine with the oil hoses disconnected and in oil jars sucking and pumping oil so you can see what it does...

and what it does at idle will make you stop for a pause and really admire that these bikes last so long

at idle the flow of oil is pretty much FROTH...and its not constant

in other words the scavenge side of the oil pump suck up a certain amount then it froths its way up to the head and it pumps in sequences/cycles

its NOT a steady flow...same thing wth the reservoir.

it is full of oil a certain amount of time then the cycle starts... oil goes down, then the case has enough and pump it back up. and the cycle continues up and down up and down

Honda says on my manual and the internet manual warm up and ride..

OK!

they have a point.

the oil moves more if the tranny is in motion, as the oil will be squirting around more...

Im a frim beleiver in this. Im using what I have gathered from the gurus on here and the info they have put and Im applying it...

again I dont have mega miles on my xr, but thats not the point, I still prefer to do this then let a bike sit and idle with no flow over it and at the point where the oil pump is so slowly frothing its oil up to the head....

just start the bike and get your gear on, a minute at the most, couple of blips to sort out the carb then just ride peacefully for 5 miuntes or so without lugging the engine BUT using all gears...

I know this sounds complicated but its not just ride around and the bike will thank your for it.

thats what I do anyways!

I did a test yesterday since I installed my dipstick thermometer on my xr

and it was surprising to say the least

my results where interesting

I did 2 rides with a 2 hour interval between them to cool down the oil.

my first ride was 10 minutes and my oil temp(slowly riding around like when on my warm up) got up to 170f.

my second 10 minute ride with spirited riding and wot runs my highest temp was 195f

My point is it takes A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time for the oil and most importantly the engine to EVENLY and completely warm up

just idling the bike for 3-4 minutes for an oil change for example is pretty much useless...all you are doing is warming up some oil...

in contrast after a 3 hour ride or so after shutdown I have recoreded a good oil temp of 225f or so

I do have a vented fender though that I modified that does do a good job at speed to vent the head of the engine quite well

anyways

Ill stop with the verbal diarhea

you get the point though, Im no pro or anything but I do like to aplly the scientific info almost that we can get from here and tt etc...its equally as fun to work and fix the bike than it is to ride the bike, at least for me!

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #42005
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
That's why you should not crank your idle down too far. Keep it putting along at a good clip so you have good oil flow. Happy Cammers
word!

idle up at traffic lights or when on tight singletrack uphill, its a trick I learned from the enduro guys too as it helps to prevent stalling

I also dd this on my old cb750 as that was a cold blooded beast and on top of that if the idle was too low your battery would drain in no time

jajaja

cheers dudes!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #42006
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Normally it is set choke to full, turn key on, get on, retract side stand, hit starter button, set choke to 1/2, put it in gear and go. And then a mile or two down the road try to remember to shut choke off. When on a trip, I try to check and top up the oil every morning, so on those days I let it idle and warm up. I really don't know why mine has held up and others have not. I wish I did.

Walter
yea i think because you dont let it idle too long helps. i would let mine idle and i think thats what wore my auto decompressor then less oil to the lobes. i heard the auto decompressor rattle around 25,000 miles if i remember correctly then it got more and more play in it till i took it out at 42,000.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #42007
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,054
My start up drill is, Full choke. Start engine and after just a moment or so set choke to half way (it does help to have a properly jetted carb). Put on jacket, back pack, helmet 'n gloves. Mount up. Give the throttle a couple of blips, work the clutch lever a couple of times and kick it into gear and ride away. Doesn't take more than two minutes. After about five minutes things can speed up a bit. Hammer time.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #42008
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

yay we agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! jajajajajaja

good stuff steve

now you guys KNOW YOU HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #42009
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
after i put my new hotcam and banjo bolt mod was done i set my idle a little higher and i would get my gear on first then start the bike let the oil flow with a little throttle on for about 10 seconds then take off and ride easy till the oil temp got to at least 180 then let her rip!
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #42010
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
XR650L Off-road first impressions:

A little background about me... I grew up in the country and have been actively dirt biking for 23 years on a fairly regular basis. For 13 years, I rode a twice over-bored 1981 Yamaha YZ250H with Weisco Racing Piston and a DG Fat Boy pipe. I took a few year hiatus for college, but have gotten back into riding, and picked up my 2004 XR650L. Myself, I'm a 300lb rider in full motocross equipment, and in this instance wearing a backpack full of tools, cold water, extra chain, etc.

I'm running Kenda 760's front and rear, stock gearing, rejetted carb, aftermarket exhaust, custom mirrors, and a small diet plan on my bike.

Last weekend, I went on 75 miles of the most treacherous off-road terrain I've ever ridden. I'm used to sandy single track, big hills, mud, etc. What I encountered was a LOT of mud, drop off's and choppy terrain, and most importantly ROCKS. LOTS of rocks.

I went riding with two other expert riders like myself; who rode an 86 XR600, and a KTM 450 XC-W.

Mud:

Bike handled great in the mud. Just like a dirt bike should. It dug in, roosted, and never got stuck. I hit some deep stuff, and only lost it in the mud once, and that was because I had beached myself on top of a very muddy two track mound, slipped on a wet log, and since I was right in the middle of the mound, couldn't touch the ground on either side and went for a mud bath.

Rocky hill climbs:

I did quite a few hill climbs with the XR650L. I was not disappointed at all. In fact, I found myself in an interesting situation, where I thought I was going to have a major issue that the XR handled with ease.

I was in the middle of a 40+ foot rocky hill climb that had an S turn in it. In the middle of the S turn, my front tire slipped off a rock because my tires were wet from just crossing a river. The slip caused the bike to jolt forward, and caused my handlebars to clip a small cedar tree, which in turn twisted me in the opposite direction and caused me to eat dirt. Upon picking up my bike, I was now about an 1/8th up a rocky steep hill with a cedar tree behind me, and no way to roll the bike back down. I knew from past experience riding my YZ, one of two things would certainly happen: One, I may be able to climb the hill, but would likely trench the entire hill from spinning the back tire; or two, I'd get too much traction, and the hill being as steep as it was, would attempt a backflip.

The other two riders were waiting for me, so I figured I had to at least give it a shot.

To my surprise, the XR soared up the hill like it wasn't even there. No wheelies, minimal trenching, and truth be told, I felt like if the hill was 3 times longer, I still wouldn't have had much of an issue. I'm not sure if it was simply the bike, or the design of a four stroke powerband vs. the two smokes that I'm used to, but the dead stop hill climb was a walk in the park.

Choppy terrain:

This is where the bike sucked. As most of you already know, the suspension; particularly the FRONT suspension in my opinion, sucks. The bike ran like it should over whoops, and handled quite nicely actually when I was able to stand on the pegs and use my own suspension, but when I came to rocky trails, or trench crossing, there were times where I could barely hold on because my handlebars seemed to want to go in every single direction a mile a minute. The rear suspension seemed fine to me, but I seemed to have to fight the handlebars constantly if going over fallen logs, etc. I've got stock dampening settings set right now, and I'm not sure if changing that will help at all.

Cornering:

I'd say the cornering on the bike is simply mediocre. It's not the worst I've ever ridden, but it's not the best. This could partially be because I'm running a Kenda K760 front tire, and from what I hear, they're not the best for off-road. It could also be because I'm riding a 300lb bike with a 300lb rider with chit front suspension.

Anyway, for the most part, cornering was fine. In tight technical single track where you're weaving in and out of trees in low first, you're going to be miserable. It seems like the handlebars are long, and I had difficulty squeezing into tight places.

Overall impression:

Great bike. Does pretty much everything I want it to. It'll do highway, trails, etc. with ease. I'm quite happy overall with it's performance. It can be a bit spotty because of the suspension, but that's something that can be changed. Of the 7 bikes I've owned, I'd give this one an 8/10 for off road. I've yet to test the bike in deep sand, but Youtube videos have lots of people riding in sand on these bikes and they all seem to do fine.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #42011
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
after reading posts on here about the Acerbis 5.8 tank, I got one and put it on. I know there is concern of the regular overheating where it is trapped between the fame and tank, but has it ever proven to be an issue? I was looking around the bike looking for a good place to relocate it to so it can be cooler, but nothing jumps out at me as to where else it could go. So I request any assistance any XRL gurus and fans may be able to share. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #42012
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,794
this is a good solution. scrap aluminum moves the R/R down and away from the plastic tank and places the R/R with an air gap away from the hot frame of engine oil.

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #42013
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
this is a good solution. scrap aluminum moves the R/R down and away from the plastic tank and places the R/R with an air gap away from the hot frame of engine oil.

I like that! Got any more pics of the mount? May start work on that tonight!

Thank you!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #42014
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
I went riding with two other expert riders like myself; who rode an 86 XR600, and a KTM 450 XC-W.
What I like about you is you're so modest.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #42015
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
What I like about you is you're so modest.
Look who's talking!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote