Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #42091
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
I hate to start a new thread, and hate to ruin the flow of this one, but I am not finding my answer.

I want a 19 front for my xrl. What are my options? Lace a xrl hub to an aftermarket rim? If so where do I get that room and spokes? I would prefer to keep the stock hub, our at least one compatible with my stock speedo. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if that's not the most logical choice. . .

So here is what you do. Buy this hub: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110872518397...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Then call Buchanan's and order a rim and spokes: http://www.buchananspokes.net/produc...s_honda_xr.asp

Whalla you have a wheel

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #42092
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Just got back from a weekend adv ride around SoCal. I love this bike! Credit due to all of you who've answered my noobish questions up to now, there are plenty more to come I'm sure. The bike performed like a champ.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #42093
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Quote:

I want a 19 front for my xrl. What are my options?.
here is also a option.... scroll down the page... they build 17"s and 19" or they can sell you the kit.
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/xr650l.html

I too would keep the stock speedo assy. it will be slightly out of calibration..slightly, who cares it still looks better and O.E. than a digital
Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #42094
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post

I too would keep the stock speedo assy. it will be slightly out of calibration..slightly, who cares it still looks better and O.E. than a digital
My thoughts too, the main reason was to keep the trip to have an idea how much gas I have left, almost all my vehicles havehad broken speedos anyway.

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #42095
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Like Minded

BP_Josh, hit me up next time. I'll go. I've finally got my bike set, similar to yours, and I've got my tent, bag, stove and pack etc.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #42096
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
I hate to start a new thread, and hate to ruin the flow of this one, .
What do you mean ruin the flow? It is having multiple conversations going at once that keeps this thread flowing, and also what keeps it interesting.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #42097
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Tweakin Weekend on the XR

So, I really went to town working on the XR this weekend, Here's what I've done:

First, I added a Maier Quick Release Windscreen (JC Whitney)

Next, I mounted my GPS and iPhone. Making brackets that would clear everything and put them where I wanted was really hard. Some leftover BarkBuster mounts gave me a head start.

GPS Bracket - Hacksaw, file & drill & tap. Rubber pad is [just-in-case] protection

iPhone bracket was a little more specialized - more filing required. Both are super solid.

I made wiring a little harder than it needed to be, but I took advantage of the open socket in the stock fuseblock. Luckily Pep Boys had Right-Angle Terminals. Wire got soldered and plumbed inside factory plastic covering. Undetectable!

In case you ever wanted to know what the factory fuse block looks like. I dissected it and added/fabricated the additional female terminal

This gave me another 10 Amp Switched Power source. But that wasn't all I did back there.

I also added a 12Volt Cigarette Lighter with spring loaded cap (PepBoys - Bell [helmets] brand) up front "Un-switched Power" and a Battery Tender connector near the battery. I took lots of effort to plumb and wire it nicely. It took a lot of effort to position this where it would be useful, discreet and not have to drill into the stock plastic - I made another L bracket and pick-up off the fairing 6mm bolt. I love the location.

I ran both the switched an un-switched power leads in small self-closing wire loom that's of the same style as stock (Harbor Freight)

Every connection got soldered and heat shrink for that clean, factory, reliable finish.

Lastly, but not least, I added Works Frame guards and my ManRack's saddlebag tiedown anchors.

Now I wanna go ride it!

RZ Rob

RZRob screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 11:58 PM
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #42098
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
Quote:
I hate to start a new thread, and hate to ruin the flow of this one, but I am not finding my answer.

I want a 19 front for my xrl. What are my options? Lace a xrl hub to an aftermarket rim? If so where do I get that rim and spokes? I would prefer to keep the stock hub, our at least one compatible with my stock speedo. Wouldn't be a deal breaker if that's not the most logical choice. . .
The best deal on rims is here: http://www.sprocketcenter.com/ The XR650L OEM hub is 32 spoke. Have the rim shipped to Dave Moores sweel shop.Ship your hub to same.

Get it laced here:
Dave Moore Wheel Service
(760) 240-3543
9383 Buena Vista Street
Apple Vally, Calf. 92308

Get a speedo gear box to correct for wheel size here:
Palo Alto Speedometer
www.paspeedo.com
718 Emerson St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301-2410
info@paspeedo.com
Tel: 650-323-0243
Fax: 650-323-4632

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #42099
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
So, I really went to town working on the XR this weekend, Here's what I've done:

I made wiring a little harder than it needed to be, but I took advantage of the open socket in the stock fuseblock. Luckily Pep Boys had Right-Angle Terminals. Wire got soldered and plumbed inside factory plastic covering. Undetectable!

In case you ever wanted to know what the factory fuse block looks like. I dissected it and added/fabricated the additional female terminal

This gave me another 10 Amp Switched Power source. But that wasn't all I did back there.

I also added a 12Volt Cigarette Lighter with spring loaded cap (PepBoys - Bell [helmets] brand) up front "Un-switched Power" and a Battery Tender connector near the battery. I took lots of effort to plumb and wire it nicely. It took a lot of effort to position this where it would be useful, discreet and not have to drill into the stock plastic - I made another L bracket and pick-up off the fairing 6mm bolt. I love the location.

I ran both the switched an un-switched power leads in small self-closing wire loom that's of the same style as stock (Harbor Freight)

Every connection got soldered and heat shrink for that clean, factory, reliable finish.

Now I wanna go ride it!

RZ Rob
Awesome job! I really like what you did with the fuse block and the power outlet. I wanted to get a lot done this weekend on mine, but I am at the mercy of the weather and every time I took my stuff outside I got rained on. It felt like someone was telling me something...

BTW, nice toy collection in the background!

-Barron
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #42100
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
And the CORRECT zip code, dufus...
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah you guys!

jajaja

so jeremy what this talk of a rally xrl with downpipes?

you better get down here and show that off...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #42101
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,335
Frame upgrades

Just throwing a question out there for a project I'm working on and to try and get some info into one place....

If you had a frame that was bare what would you change? What support(s) would you add? Where do you get them? Any and all recommendations are welcome.

-Barron
Old 05-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #42102
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah you guys!

jajaja

so jeremy what this talk of a rally xrl with downpipes?

you better get down here and show that off...
I chased the mexican 1000, thread in the racing forum, and i got bit. Ive been gathering parts for a while now. Two spare motors, 3 sets of wheels, 3 shocks, two frames, bars bits and pieces .... im doing the v2r this year and the mex1k next year. Other stiff in between as i find them. I also will be making my own roadbooks to start learning how to read them. Ill start out through town then add difficulty.

If anyone wants to make roadbooks for training in Tijuana area and San Diego, ill be glad to test them out. I still need an ICO and CAP repeater though.

I've been thinking of making my own pipe for a while. I know a guy that knows that stuff. So the lowboy pipe will be for the 10l tank on the tail, a removable subframe made of alum is on the list. Males it easier to get to the shock, airbox and carb. The shorai is on the way. I need spare front end to make a complete spare bike....

So yeah, i have a plan. Just need to work the plan. The baja 1k is moved to 13, i don't have any reason to be on that track yet.

And the mex1k is may 13, and o have a G on it with the guy that i was chasing for that crashed out. I was running mouth and he said put up the or shut up. So i kept running mouth., so i wont be coming down your way anytime soon.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #42103
bp_josh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
BP_Josh, hit me up next time. I'll go. I've finally got my bike set, similar to yours, and I've got my tent, bag, stove and pack etc.

RZ Rob

Find the thread in the CA regionals forum titled something like "On-going San Diego Hijinx" or similar. That's where this past ride was organized. There're a few guys who did a great job putting this ride together with some GREAT trails and fire roads and such, very well organized, even custom stickers made for the event. One of the organizers was saying around the campfire that they'd like to do at least one big organized ride per season. There was something like 50 riders and I had a blast.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #42104
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
I hope to make the next. I didnt even get home until sat 11.....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #42105
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I chased the mexican 1000, thread in the racing forum, and i got bit. Ive been gathering parts for a while now. Two spare motors, 3 sets of wheels, 3 shocks, two frames, bars bits and pieces .... im doing the v2r this year and the mex1k next year. Other stiff in between as i find them. I also will be making my own roadbooks to start learning how to read them. Ill start out through town then add difficulty.

If anyone wants to make roadbooks for training in Tijuana area and San Diego, ill be glad to test them out. I still need an ICO and CAP repeater though.

I've been thinking of making my own pipe for a while. I know a guy that knows that stuff. So the lowboy pipe will be for the 10l tank on the tail, a removable subframe made of alum is on the list. Males it easier to get to the shock, airbox and carb. The shorai is on the way. I need spare front end to make a complete spare bike....

So yeah, i have a plan. Just need to work the plan. The baja 1k is moved to 13, i don't have any reason to be on that track yet.

And the mex1k is may 13, and o have a G on it with the guy that i was chasing for that crashed out. I was running mouth and he said put up the or shut up. So i kept running mouth., so i wont be coming down your way anytime soon.
damn dude, we need to talk...

one of my dreams before parenthood and all that jazz is well to do either a mexican/baja 500/100 a la airborne andy style.

BUT

with my 88xr600, stock.

anywhoo

someday maybe

maybe a trip up to tijuana with me and the bike to train someday?

just like you guys wish to come down here my wish for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong long time has been to finish either of those races...

I have a friend down here who makes roadbooks just the rolls, I am looking into making my roadbook holder but im too damn bisy with the bar and plans on moving it to the city to make some more $$ and be closer to home

anywhoo

lets talk!

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote